600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apefos

It would be good idea  to re-enable the menu option to have the audion meters on/off as we have in the 2.3 stable version! It is useful for mov files recording also.

apefos

did you found the less agressive 8MB backup helps anyway?

mkorho

@1%

To me it looks like the pink frames are coming from the second buffer usage.
Every time the <**.> second buffer * blinks i get 1 pink frame.

Can the buffer swapping be the cause of our pink frames?

apefos

I found some resolution changes that can improve the results. I know WxH must be multiples of 64x32 or 128x16, but these changes I found deserves a try, because it avoid skip frames, best balance between multiples and datarate, please see:

change 832 x 640 (4:3) to 832 x 624 (4:3) because it is the maximum datarate 600d can handle in (4:3). (832 x 640 always skip frames)

832 x 624 will be the best option for anamorphic work, it deserves a try)

keep 960 x 544 (16:9) as it is. this is the best thing 600d can do.

change 960 x 544 (1.85:1) to 960 x 512 because it will be less datarate option when 960 x 544 (16:9) is too much for some cards

change 1088 x 480 (2.39:1) to 1088 x 464 because it is less data rate option compared to 1088 x 480 (2.35:1), and keep 1088 x 480 (2.35:1) as it is.

change 1152 x 496 (2.39:1) to 1152 x 480 because it will be less datarate than 1152 x 496 (2.35:1) and keep 1152 x 496 (2.35:1) as it is.

change 1152 x 464 (2.5:1) to 1152 x 448 because it is the maximum datarate 600d can handle.

change 1280 x 432 (3:1) to 1280 x 408 or 1280 x 400 (because it is the maximum datarate 600d can handle. 1280 x 432 always skip frames.

apefos

In the File Browser I can navigate through the files and delete them, but "view" does not work, it just shows some strange caracteres in the LCD.

I would be good to make the "view" works as a playback

Also, re-enable the VIDEO FILE item in the RAW_REC menu would be great, because it allows to navigate trough the raw files and choose which one to playback or delele.

1%

View only opens text files right now.

For resolutions give me a list of aspect ratios to add and I'll add it. I'm not picking the res, its calculated. Realize that if it doesn't calculate out to those X values it will write slower and you'll lose whatever gain (frame size must be a multiple of 512 bytes). Harder to notice on 600D but some sizes write worse whether bigger or not.

So pink frames on 2nd buffer with LV on? LV off? I'll have to test this some more since I haven't gotten any. The buffer situation is sad... only the first chunk is 31MB the others are 30 and 28 which is small and worse on writes. Not sorting them in L -> small results in reduced speeds. On normal cameras they are 32*32*32,etc.  We need more memory than this (and without Sraw, which who knows what it crashes in the paths).

apefos

the aspect ratios does not change, it is just small adjustments in height values to make them below the maximum data rate 600d can handle.

apefos

deleted post, 1280 x 720 in canon menu just gives stretched results... wrong aspect ratios in playback...

apefos

after discarding the first shoot after turning camera on, the second and sequential shoots are ok...

960 x 544 @ 23,976 fps works ok (200% to fil fullhd)
768 x 432 @ 37,8 fps (actual fps from 40 fps override) works ok (great for slow motion) 250% to fit fullhd
1344 x 768 @ 11,988 fps works ok (great for twixtor fans and allows 1280 x 720 after some borders crop) 150% to fit fullhd

mkorho

Here is and example of how the picture is corrupting.
With some Photoshop lines.
Green = Pink part of the frame.

Also the recording area is not what the LV box is showing. (the small red line)

So are the pink frames coming from the crop code or the original sensor data, buffered/unbuffered?

Datadogie

Photos in sraw
I did exactly the same. Photoshop cs6 didn't even work.
Ended up using IranView. But had to convert to jpeg.
Still I got my photos.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

1%

Yea, watch out for SRAW.. they kinda look ugly. You can also go to tiff or remake them with dcraw.

My theories on the pink frames:

*Something touches EDMAC and causes this.
*Sync skips
*Something touches memory while recording
*Card too slow
*Too much CPU/EDMAC usage... IE LV is on, GD is on.

Try this: does it fix it? Or worse?

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/downloads/raw_rec.mo%20-%20chek%20Squeeze

mkorho

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 06:38:55 PM
*Card too slow
That cant be the reason for pink frames since we have "frame skip" or "end recording" to prevent card write problems.
And the whole frame data is there just not the right part of the picture.

1%

People with slower cards are getting more pink frames tho.  It is the least likely one tho.

Alia5

In "any" constelation im not able to get pink frames since a few versions... in some versions i got 1 in like 1 out of 10 recordings...
"any" since:
Global-draw is ALWAYS off
Card is ALWAYS fat32

Card can reach a max speed of 19.0MB/s

Edit: In Photo-Mode, S-RAW, 24fps, expo. overr., global draw in all modes - fokus preaking + zebras, 960x540, hacked mode off, allowed for frameskips
max write speed about 13MB/s, a LOT of frameskips, 1 corrupt frame (254) of about 400...

guess im not completely immune to them ;)

1%

Here is some thought:

Look at raw preview (ML Grayscale)... in 720P, etc. You see it flash and corrupt... when I record and play back it looks like identical corruption.

Only happens with LV (GD?) on. So something is clearly going on with this. Its like I see the corruption before its happening. Also looks like exposure is changing... see if you guys can repeat.

Hacked with preview - can't see corruption but it happens and looks JUST like above.
Hacked with no preview - perfect.
Regular canon/auto - Same corruption...

so some edmac is drawing on our shit/fucking up sync or cpu usage causes this "jump"

mkorho

@1%

Trying to compare crop mark and the recorded size i discovered that if you try to take LV screenshot (TL2.0) it just halts the camera.

apefos

the new "squeeze" raw rec module works ok (after the first corrupt shoot as always).

just erased all recorded files from card, paste the new module and defragmented the card (in computer)

tested it on 960 x 544 @ 23,976fps = ok

I found that in the first shoot, the monitoring in LCD live view jumps constantly (skiping frames during monitoring while recording)

and after playback this first shoot, when doing the second shoot the LCD monitoring does not jump anymore... maybe this is related to magenta frames?

I am using regular canon / auto LV

1%

Yea, looks like not enough memory to do this. The cam just shuts down. Only 1099K (1366k no modules) with modules loaded... try temporarily moving out file man/bolt rec and see if its enough.

That is 100% related to magenta frames... you can see the magenta frames happening now, see post above.

Alia5

So for me everything is about GlobalDraw...
All newest of 1% builds...

Canon-Preview, M-Mode, all Movie-Modes (fps ovverride always 24), same settings as in the edited post above...
with global draw-on with zebras and focus-peaking, 2 corrupt of 1000 frames (421, 442)

GlobalDraw of, not any single corrupt frame...
is there any1 that gets pink shit with gloabl-draw off?

1%

Checked 242 frames with GD off.. no pinkerton.

So maybe the bug is from GD CPU usage... so much for cpu not affecting things..
GD off cpu 3.7% gd on CPU 78&

apefos

I just did a try with Hacked no preview (working blind), the first shoot is perfect after turn camera on.

Erased the bold and file modules, recorded files, defrag the card (in computer)

I disabled everything I could in ML menu, I also disabled sound in Canon menu, reboot the camera...

keep canon LV on

first shoot: lcd preview monitoring jumps, magenta frames...

playback the first file on camera...

second shoot: lcd preview monitoring NO jumps, NO magenta frames...

1%

So I think we can call this CPU usage issue... turn on CPU usage in debug menu and see where its at when you get pink frames.

LV ON, GD OFF - no ml stuff but seems no pink frames either. Lower write of course (slightly.. do align left to make up a little I guess)

Hacked - Preview off - Perfect frames, turn on whatever you want I think.. gd gets shut off automatically.

So... I think we need 5th mode... gd off, LV on.

94/100% cpu when it jumps.

Alia5

Tried with a slower, smaller card... formatted exFAT...
Max speed 10.9MB/s
Again same Settings...

Camera crashed at frame 13XX... Canon didn't turn on again, till i did a baterry pull...
smaller files had no pink stuff... didn't look at the crashed one though

apefos

So I think I found a way to work more reliable:

install ML and raw rec as I said in one of my previous post... just look back here...

erase every file on card, defrag it (on computer)

turn camera on, disable everything you can in ML and Canon menu. set canon menu to 1920x1080 24p
if you want slow motion or higher resolutions you can use fps override

choose a resolution and fps combination which is below 21MB/s

keep canon LV preview on

shoot a first 500gb file (you will see LV image jumps in this first shoot)

playback the first shoot it until the end

now you are ready to shoot...

you can use the canon LV for monitoring, but keep looking at the LCD, it seems if image jumps you will get magenta frames