Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hi everyone, could anyone please help me clarifay if an external monitor plus magic lantern will definitely works? i tried to search on the forum, but i didn't find anything that would help me clarify this question:

External monitoring while recording RAW on the 6D it is possible?

If yes, there is a monitor specific or anything could do the trick?

Are there any known settings combinations with an external monitor that could brick my camera?

What port would be more safe/reliable to use: HDMI or the A/V out?

Are there any known issues of external monitoring on the 6D?

I am planning to buy a 4 meter camera jib with a pan and tilt head, as you can imagine. it would be quite challenging shooting without a monitor i think! :)

Thanks to you all guys! :)

Levas

Give it a quick try with your television, your television probably has both HDMI and A/V.

carlosvega

Quote2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3.

Why is not possible to install ML on Canon 6D with firmware 1.1.6?
Is this situation going to change over time? This last update is important.

dmilligan

Quote from: carlosvega on December 21, 2014, 07:20:46 PM
Why is not possible to install ML on Canon 6D with firmware 1.1.6?
ML calls functions in the Canon firmware by hardcoded addresses. These addresses can be different in different Canon firmware versions. So if you want to use a different firmware version, you have to decompile the Canon firmware, and find the addresses all over again. This is a lot of work.

combn

My firmware is 1.1.4 but i can't find anywhere firmware 1.1.3 to downgrade. please help!

walter_schulz

Read first post of this thread

jc7222

I was hoping to install this but, I have the newest firmware installed.  I hope one day that someone will be able to bring this.  From everything I've read seems like great work.

walter_schulz

Your choice: Downgrade firmware and be compatible with ML or wait.

Ic3Shine

I'm new. Which is the best setup and resolution in terms of stress for a full day shooting? :D I tried only one time ML, it's work fine, but at first glance it occupied too many GBs for my two 16GB Sandisk ExPro.
With 2 ExPro sandisk 64GB, how many minutes approximately can I record with a decent raw resolution (no audio interest.)?

walter_schulz

Maximum data rate with 6D: 41 MByte/s.
Do the math!

Levas

"Which is the best setup and resolution in terms of stress for a full day shooting? :D "
Normal genuine Canon movie mode, All-i and 1080p Settings  :P

extremelypoorfilmaker

Quote from: Levas on December 27, 2014, 02:32:35 PM
"Which is the best setup and resolution in terms of stress for a full day shooting? :D "
Normal genuine Canon movie mode, All-i and 1080p Settings  :P

Ahahaha Well said Levas! :D

Ic3Shine

I'm not sure to remember, but it seems to me that I got something like 1 GB for 10 seconds, at the maximum resolution for continuous rec.
128GB should be 20 minutes of footage. Not bad, maybe adding a third-fourth sd for the rest at 1080p genuine all-i.
What do you think?

walter_schulz

Maximum data write rate (continuous) for 6D is about 41 MByte/s.
Do the math.
Again.

bobousse

Hi everyone,
This if my first post here, so first I would like to thank everyone who is working on this project cause I'm using magic lantern for a couple of years now and I couldn't work without it!

So I got a 6d, I'm running the latest nightly build, sometimes magic lantern crash and freeze the camera, but I just realized today that the battery grip caused this does anyone have the same problem and what should I do to avoid this as I would prefer to use my battery grip?

Thanks in advance

extremelypoorfilmaker

A few bugs i think i have noticed in the nightly build version i am running on my 6D: magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug20.6D113

I just noticed this two things:

When recording using MLV instead of RAW even trough the canon menu the fps 24 in NTSC format, it records at 30 fps.

When fiddling with the FPS overrride and try to set 24 or 23.987 the view from the liveview it's absolutely fucked up (not the overlay, but the image from the sensor) in terms of fucked up i mean: Green cast, dark lines dividing the picture in half pixels everywhere part of the image in black and white and so on.

Curios thing.. it did that once, a few moment ago. i tried now and it did not do anything

Jens

I installed Magic Lantern successfully with 64 GB Sandisk card. 1) I don´t seem to find the "Audio" menu? 2) Supposedly there´s a function that enables the camera to restart after 30 min/4GB limit ? I don´t see that feature anywhere in the menu? 3) I tried to let the camera run for over 30 minutes, and after 30 minutes, the camera stops automatically. Then the camera cannot access the memory card, and the camera asks to format the memory card. After formatting, the camera will not start for several minutes, which made me think I busted the camera! Finally it restarts, but  Magic Lantern is now no longer functioning. I try to update the card with the same Magic Lantern files on the card, but now the camera refuses to update...

walter_schulz

Remove card and remove battery.
Insert battery.
Format the card using your cardreader.
Copy extracted nightly contents to card.
Insert card into cam and run firmware update.

Marsu42

Quote from: dmilligan on December 21, 2014, 09:45:48 PM
ML calls functions in the Canon firmware by hardcoded addresses. These addresses can be different in different Canon firmware versions. So if you want to use a different firmware version, you have to decompile the Canon firmware, and find the addresses all over again. This is a lot of work.

I'd also like to see a 1.1.6 fw ML update, but I won't do it either :-p ... searching for changed stubs is probably one of the most stupid tasks, and then you have to check if Canon didn't change something under the hood.

Unless there are really killer features, I doubt it that it's "worth it". The multi-point af center pt fix is important, but it doubt any software upgrade can make the 6d better at it as the outer points are non-cross and simply give inaccurate information to the fw. Or did any 1.1.6 user notice a real improvement?

danistuta

I've installed last nightly, but I've got audio menu...why?
Is there a version with audio control?
Thanks.

DJHaze596

Some test Footage with the 6D shooting RAW at 1792x762 with the 135L using the Sandisk 64GB 95MB/s.  I get around 40 to 50 Seconds,  And at 1600x680,  I get over a Minute to a Minute and 25 Seconds. 

sartajr

Hi I installed ML on 6D and noticed a lot of hot pixels. About 40 to 60. Got so annoying they were in all my images. I tried everything to prevent this from happening. Eventually i uninstalled ML and the Canon firmware handles it where i might only see one or two now. So obviously ML doesn't handle the hot pixels. Is there anyone out there working on a nightly build that can comment or is interested in resolving this issue.

walter_schulz

If you press SET during startup ML won't load. You can try to reproduce those effects. You may try to run "Manual Sensor Cleaning" and see what happens after.
You may also provide some samples.
Using search functions before posting may be another option.

dmilligan

Please do what Walter says, but I thought I might add a few things:

What are you doing/comparing? raw video? h.264? raw stills? jpeg stills? ML silent pictures?

What are your exposure parameters? Longer exposures and higher ISOs will cause more hot pixels, so you need to compare ML/no-ML on the same scene with the same exposure settings. If you were out shooting in low light, came back and noticed the hot pixels, uninstalled ML, and then took some test shots in brighter light, the difference in hot pixels is much more likely due to the difference in exposure (shutter and ISO), and ML being uninstalled was just a coincidence.

What is your post processing workflow? Most decent raw editors automatically remove hot pixels.

If you're talking about regular stills, it's very unlikely that ML has anything to do with it, as ML does not normally interfere in anyway with the Canon picture taking process, and most of the processing happens in hardware.

If you're talking about raw video, then this is to be expected. ML does no post processing on the raw video feed, so you end up with exactly what the sensor captured, while Canon does process out hot pixels when you record h264.