Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

Enabled

Disabled

Zoom in 1 click, and all interlaced lines are removed.

It actually does this for every three steps.  That is, image interlaced at normal view, no interlacing lines for the first 3 zoom steps, interlaced the next 3 zoom steps, non-interlaced next 3 steps.

a1ex

Got it. I should revisit my dual iso preview stuff - it won't have this issue.

schedonnardus

I haven't been on here in a few months, been skimming back over this thread. I'm currently running the March 23rd build, it does all that I need it to do (DualISO, Intervalometer, focus stacking, exposure sim, overlay, ETTR) has there been any major changes that would prompt an upgrade, or should I just stick with what works?

Also, I experience the same interlace "issue" with DualISO that is mentioned above. I had just assumed that was how it was supposed to look before you post-processed it cr2hdr.  The lines show up in Lightroom as well, so I thought nothing of it.

paisleybrew

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and have a query that I'd appreciate some help with.
I've attached a framegrab from a 6D RAW clip that has what seem like some large noise spots. Could this be because of the resolution I am recording at? I had it on 1920, but have now changed it to 1536, which I have seen in places to be the best option.
I used raw2dng to convert the files.

http://jaredpaisley.tumblr.com/private/image/97514178787/tumblr_nbwxw2sY521tnfzlp

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Levas

I can't see the frame grab in your post  :-\

Levas

Looks like you got some hot pixels over there, with higher iso's they can come up:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12987.msg125592#msg125592

You can let your camera (re)map the hot pixels so it automatically doesn't use these hot pixels to process the image.
Taking the lens of the camera and place the body cap on it. Go into the Canon menu and choose sensor cleaning, clean manually, wait a few minutes and turn your camera off.
Put the lens back on and test if those pixels are still there.

paisleybrew

Thank you Levas!

This seems to have fixed the problem. Does this mean that I should stay away from ISO3200 and above?

Levas

Depends on what you find acceptable for noise  :P
I did the body cap/bad pixel remapping thing once, and the hot/bad pixels never came back that worse.
Luckily with raw video, you can also try to remove the hot/bad pixels in post proces.
Don't know what software you use for you dng's, but most of them have options to remove hot/bad pixels.

paisleybrew

Haha, true! In normal video I'd be reasonably happy with ISO6400 but after seeing this in RAW i'm not sure what the limit is.

I shot this today, a quick test:

Not sure if it's appropriate to post videos here? I used the build from last night. Thanks for your help Levas!

orfeugars

Hi guys,

I am really sorry for this post as it contains basic information. Unfortunately I could not find the answer in this forum since there has been a recently update.

I haven't got ML installed yet but am eager to get it done as soon as possible. However, I would love to know about resolution, file sizes and appropriate cards. Hope you can help:

1) What is the maximum resolution at continuous recording the ML RAW can handle? Can I record 1080p RAW?

2) I have never used RAW so before buying appropriate cards, could you please let me know what is the average size in GB per minute for 1080p?

3) Somewhere I read that the 6D can only handle up to 45MB/S writing speeds. Is this correct? Does it mean, there is no point getting a faster card for this application? Would 45MB/S be enough to handle 1080p RAW? Any suggestion of a reliable card that could handle professional paid work?

4) I've heard a lot about dual ISO but don't understand how it works. Could anybody point me out where I can read more about it?

Again sorry if the questions above offend your intelligence. I just need some help and thought this would be the best place to ask for.

Thanks in anticipation.

kbeecher

What all MAJOR improvements have been made since July? Any new fun modules i should know about? or any major bug fixes? Also, is the external headphones feature working yet on this?

orfeugars

Hey @dmilligan, thanks for your help.
I've read the threads and so far I gather that there is still no continuous raw recording on the 6D. Is this right? The closest to continuous is at 720p. I installed ML and tried to shoot raw but only at 720p I could see a possibility. Please correct me if I am wrong and perhaps share the knowledge on how I can get better performance. By the way, I am using Transcend 600x (90MB/S).
Thanks.

terickson4

Hello I just installed ML on my 6D and now there is a big rectangle on my video viewing screen.  I uninstalled and its still there.  Any idea what I might have done?

Audionut

Reset Canon settings.

Levas

With big rectangle, do you mean the focus box  ???
What happens if you switch off autofocus on your lens, is the rectangle gone ?

Mercs

Just wanted to say a big thanks the a1ex and the devs for this. Coming from a 600D with ml installed and now having just got my 6D and not having ml on it I really felt like something was missing. Just installed it and I feel like my camera is back to normal. Big big big thanks guys, really do appreciate the work you guys do :)

dcw1979

Is the 6D capable of shooting at 60fps in raw? Ive been offered to buy it at a reasonable price.  I would be happy even if it could shoot a few seconds at 60fps.  I understand that it takes SD cards so will be limited. I already own the 5Dii so only want it for the 60fps raw option. Any advice would be great.

Levas

The 6d is capable of doing 60fps raw video, although only for a few seconds...

Are you aware that the 50/60fps mode gives an image that needs to be stretched vertical in post ?

I use sometimes 50p mode on 6d, put aspect ratio to 1:2,39 and vertical resolution to 1728.
This results in a video resolution of 1728 x 446 pixels (to be stretched in post to 1728 x 720 pixels (factor 1,62))
This way I can record about 8 seconds of raw video in 50p on the 6d (about 425 dng frames).

The 6d has about 250MegaByte buffermemory and can write 40MegaByte/s to the sd card.
1728 x 446 x 14bit x 60fps / 8bit / 1000000 = 81MegaByte per second.
The camera can write 40MegaByte/s to the memory card, so 81 - 40 = 41 is buffered every second.
6d has a buffer of 250MB, 250 / 41 = 6 seconds recording time in 60 fps  for 1728 x 446 (to be stretched in post to 1728 x 720 pixels (factor 1,62))

virtualtour

Hey @levas

what if you shoot in 24 or 30 fps can we shoot continuous?

will someone be able to come up with 1080p continuous or is the SD card speed an issue as well as not many people developing for the 6D?

jucau

Hello,

first thank you for this great software !

I'm sorry but i have just a question : I don't know how to uninstall MagicLantern. I know i may not be the first one to ask that (i'm french and my english is not good enough to read all the forum to find the solution, i've seen something close on the previous page but it's not exactly the same uninstalling problem)

On the first page it's written "1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card. 2) Follow the instructions."

If i go to the "Firmware ver. 1.1.3" menu, it just say that a memory card with firmware is necessary for update, nothing else.

I have the "Built on 2014-05-01" version of ML, maybe it's not the same process ?

Thank you for your answer :)

nounoursvengeur

Hi ! like the one above, thanks for the program and all, i am using it at 1% of its full potential, and it is already realy helpful.
I have one question though, my external mike is constantly making some hissing noise, i understood it was from the 6D Audio Gain Controler, so i am trying to disable it, but cant find the option anywher. Looked on the wiki, couldnt understand also.

Is that because it wasnt enabled on the 6D nightly build ?

Thank you for your time

Nounours

Levas

@virtualtour

With raw video, the SD card writing speed is the bottleneck for 6d (and all other cams with SD).
If your card is fast enough, you get about 40MB/s max. (not enough for 1920 x 1080 x 24fps, that needs 87MB/s writing speed.)
1280 x 720 x 24fps continuous is possible on the 6d, this needs 39MB/s writing speed.

So if you want a camera for raw video, better look out for one which uses compact flash cards(have faster writing speeds than SD), like the 5DII and 5DIII and 7D.
(or get a blackmagic pocket  8) :P )

You can use the 6d for short raw videoclips, 1792 x 750 x 25fps gives about 14 seconds recording time. Easy to scale to 1920 x 800 resolution  :D.

Levas

@Jucau

"On the first page it's written 1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card. 2) Follow the instructions."

This should work with every build, as far as I know, give it a try.

Levas

@nounoursvengeur

In the older builds for 6d, there where audio controls like analog gain and digital gain.
I believe they disappeared from the ML menu after I start using the the MLV_sound module.
With the MLV_sound module enabled, you can control audio from the standard Canon Audio menu, Canon menu gives also manual control for audio on the 6d.
Maybe you can fix it in Canon Audio menu  :-\