Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beardymadness

Massive thanks to Nanomad and all. Installed and working. Now to test everything.  ;D

Stevenbaril

QuoteThis is what worked for me:

Create a magic lantern folder on your hard drive

Download http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/650D/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Apr30.650D.PreAlpha2.zip (unzip all files to your ml folder on your hard drive)

On your camera select menu, first wrench icon, format card

download https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/99bd629f7c5712346369840e64c04fd2d4576520/platform/650D.101/devkit/650D-safe-dumper.fir?at=unified, then copy the .fir file to your card and put it back in the camera.

With the cam in manual mode, go to last wrench setting before star, fimware ver, set,  select ok, then my menu settings will read enablebootdisk

Put your card in the computer and download http://pel.hu/down/EOScard.exe and run this program

Check EOS Devlop and Bootdisk boxes, save

Check the card, if EOS card wrote any files, delete them

Copy from your ML folder these files: ML folder, autoexec.bin and 650D-safe-dumper.fir to your card

Put card in camera and press the trashcan button after it boots, then the left arrow button to the left of the set button

I tried this, now my camera won't turn on as long as the card is in the camera. Did I brick the camera, or corrupt the card?

Ed B

Stevenbaril --  Your camera and card are most likely fine...

I had the same issue. I tried to find the post page where it was addressed, but no dice.

Just make damn sure you follow step, "Check the card, if EOS card wrote any files, delete them"

This is what got me, first attempt. If I were you, I'd format the SD card and 'take it from the top'.

Cheers

Stevenbaril

I checked to see if EOScard wrote any files. I noticed that after running EOScard that these files appear on my card:

ML (folder)
autoexec
ROM.dat
User Guide
INSTALL

Shall I delete all these files, then copy the Magic Lantern folder I made to the card, then insert into my camera and boot up?

Eslam Omar

Guys, I know its prealpha but I really can't wait to run ML on my t4i
is it safe to install it yet?, and if so... is ML's installation reversible?
is there any known risks for this release?

nanomad

Quote from: Stevenbaril on May 16, 2013, 06:10:04 AM
I checked to see if EOScard wrote any files. I noticed that after running EOScard that these files appear on my card:

ML (folder)
autoexec
ROM.dat
User Guide
INSTALL

Shall I delete all these files, then copy the Magic Lantern folder I made to the card, then insert into my camera and boot up?

Replace the files on the card with the ones inside the zip
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Eslam Omar

I installed it, after 30 mins of playing I gotta say this is real good for a pre-alpha :D
the only problem I had is the camera crashes when I'm browsing the menu and the live view automatically shuts itself off and switch to the view finder
I was browsing the frame override menu to be exact
--
I dunno where to send the crash logs?
I can't find any attachment options in here

digital_canon

I started doing this, but that EOS Card program doesn't work on Mac and I tried using Wine Bottler, and that didn't work. Hopefully a fix comes up soon.

dngrhm

Quote from: digital_canon on May 16, 2013, 05:16:40 PM
I started doing this, but that EOS Card program doesn't work on Mac and I tried using Wine Bottler, and that didn't work. Hopefully a fix comes up soon.

Use MacBoot
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/3rd_party_software

I believe you need to check the BootDSLR box
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

nanomad

Quote from: Eslam Omar on May 16, 2013, 12:17:04 PM
I dunno where to send the crash logs?
I can't find any attachment options in here
Upload them somewhere (dropbox? Mega?) and link them here
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

papkee

I've got all the files downloaded. Should be able to test when I get back home. Will try and go as in-depth with feedback as I can.

I saw the question a little further back, but will it be at all possible to shoot in RAW? I know the 5D3 can because it has RAW out already, but is there any potential for the 650 to do similar?
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

Eslam Omar

Quote from: nanomad on May 16, 2013, 05:29:02 PM
Upload them somewhere (dropbox? Mega?) and link them here

there ya go,
http://www.mediafire.com/?7s62h7527zkpakk

& is it possible for the new continuous RAW to work on the t4i?

xXxRapheraxXx

O Magic Lantern para nossa câmera (650D/T4I) funciona ou funcionará com touchscreen?

;)

xXxRapheraxXx

The Magic Lantern for our camera (650D/T4I) work or work with touchscreen?

;)

nanomad

Mostly without although you can tap to confirm selection

RAW recording should work with resolution just under 720p at 24 fps but in reality it produces pink noise only. That's what I'm working on

papkee

Quote from: nanomad on May 16, 2013, 09:19:41 PM
RAW recording should work with resolution just under 720p at 24 fps...

Is there a technical reason for this or is it just a quirk that it has to be that low of a resolution?

nanomad

Canon went cheap with the sd controller

papkee

Well after a short outing with the 650D it appears that most of the features work.

The only real issue I found with the features I used was that MagicZoom flickered quite a bit, but I believe that was covered already.

Tests:
Overlays
-Zebras: OK
-Focus Peak: OK
-MagicZoom: Heavy flickering at 1080p, useable at 720p
-Cropmarks: OK
-Ghost Image: OK
-Spotmeter: OK
-False Color: OK
-Histogram: OK
-Waveform: OK
-Vectorscope: OK

Movie
-BitRate: Untested
-REC Key: OK
-Gradual Exposure: OK
-FPS Override: Untested
-HDR Video: OK
-Vignetting: Untested
-Image Finetuning: Untested
-Movie Tweaks: All OK

Shoot
-Intervalometer: OK
-Motion Detect: Didn't seem to work
-Silent Picture: Also appeared to be unworking
-Shoot Preferences: All OK

All display settings appeared to work.

Morkins

FPS Override is bugging way out on me.

Causes the entire overlay to flicker during preview.

Anyone else seeing that?

Vignetting is working perfectly though.

nanomad

The container fps is whatever you select in Canon menu, you need to import the video in an editor and override it

Morkins

Quote from: nanomad on May 17, 2013, 06:41:19 AM
The container fps is whatever you select in Canon menu, you need to import the video in an editor and override it
Thanks.  I tested and everything seems to be working right.  Still getting the strange flickering of the overlay while using FPS Override during preview, but everything else seems to be working.

lenningrad

Hi guys

Just say cheers for all the hard work from the developers and testers on this! Looking forward to the full release.  :)  Slowly working through all the features and will flag up anything that doesn't work as it should etc

I noticed there is one thing missing from these great instructions as it caught me out - see in blue. Hope this helps everyone

Cheers
L

Quote from: donjames150 on May 15, 2013, 08:02:05 AM
This is what worked for me:

Create a magic lantern folder on your hard drive

Download http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/650D/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Apr30.650D.PreAlpha2.zip (unzip all files to your ml folder on your hard drive)

On your camera select menu, first wrench icon, format card

download https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/99bd629f7c5712346369840e64c04fd2d4576520/platform/650D.101/devkit/650D-safe-dumper.fir?at=unified, then copy the .fir file to your card and put it back in the camera. (You also need the extracted ML files on the card too)

With the cam in manual mode, go to last wrench setting before star, fimware ver, set,  select ok, then my menu settings will read enablebootdisk :)

Put your card in the computer and download http://pel.hu/down/EOScard.exe and run this program

Check EOS Devlop and Bootdisk boxes, save

Check the card, if EOS card wrote any files, delete them

Copy from your ML folder these files: ML folder, autoexec.bin and 650D-safe-dumper.fir to your card

Put card in camera and press the trashcan button after it boots, then the left arrow button to the left of the set button

mattgirvan

Ok, I went for it and downloaded this version onto my 650D. Install was fine.. Seems to work better using a PC. I'm a newbie but in the menu are you meant to get a little rectangle showing a portion of the live view at the bottom of the screen, covering up the description of the feature you're highlighting? And I can't seem to get any of the features of ML to actually affect the display. Nothing seems to be happening, such as Focus Peak. Any help?

Also the capacity of the SD card value actually covers up the battery symbol when using the viewfinder which is a bit annoying. Am I doing something wrong or is this an easy fix?

nanomad

Quote from: Morkins on May 17, 2013, 06:55:40 AM
Thanks.  I tested and everything seems to be working right.  Still getting the strange flickering of the overlay while using FPS Override during preview, but everything else seems to be working.
Can you upload a video of the flickering? Quickly browse ML menus and canon menus so I can see what settings are in use

- Canon overlays drawing over ML menu: known bug, I'll try the EOSM fix
- No ML stuff in LV: User error :P Press DISP button until Canon overlays are gone :)
- SD card capacity doing weird stuff: known bug, the fix did not work as I expected though. I'll try different positions

nanomad

Quote from: Eslam Omar on May 16, 2013, 12:17:04 PM
I installed it, after 30 mins of playing I gotta say this is real good for a pre-alpha :D
the only problem I had is the camera crashes when I'm browsing the menu and the live view automatically shuts itself off and switch to the view finder

It should happen when you have FPS override ON and FPS higher than max supported by the camera. FPS Override isn't really fully working on the 650D right now (need more time testing timings and such), think of it as a bonus feature for now :)