Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

Just a warning
NEW BUILDS FROM SOURCE HAVE PROPS ENABLED
They can potentially brick your camera if a prop is not set correctly due to a bug
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Aborgh

Quote from: nanomad on May 18, 2013, 01:09:33 PM
Just a warning
NEW BUILDS FROM SOURCE HAVE PROPS ENABLED
They can potentially brick your camera if a prop is not set correctly due to a bug

Can you build a build for us with correct props?

nanomad

I cannot "correct" a prop, you can either build with props enabled or disabled. And the source code in the repository has them enabled. You can disable them by commenting a line in internals.h and recompiling the source code
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Aborgh

Quote from: nanomad on May 18, 2013, 02:04:17 PM
I cannot "correct" a prop, you can either build with props enabled or disabled. And the source code in the repository has them enabled. You can disable them by commenting a line in internals.h and recompiling the source code

Oh okay! Thanks for the correction :)

tomaash

well i have tried to follow the instructions to install the preAlpha.

when i try to update the firmware (1.0.1) i am getting "update file cannot be found" error message.
The 650-safe-dumper.fir  (size 216,124b) is on my SanDisk Extreme SDXC I 64GB card that was previously low-level formatted.

what am i doing wrong? i have tried it several times with no success. even downloaded the file again, but still the same message.

cheers for help

donjames150

Quote from: tomaash on May 18, 2013, 02:14:28 PM
well i have tried to follow the instructions to install the preAlpha.

when i try to update the firmware (1.0.1) i am getting "update file cannot be found" error message.
The 650-safe-dumper.fir  (size 216,124b) is on my SanDisk Extreme SDXC I 64GB card that was previously low-level formatted.

what am i doing wrong? i have tried it several times with no success. even downloaded the file again, but still the same message.

cheers for help

This has worked for several people here who have had trouble getting ML installed:

This is what worked for me:

Create a magic lantern folder on your hard drive

Download http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/650D/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Apr30.650D.PreAlpha2.zip (unzip all files to your ml folder on your hard drive)

On your camera select menu, first wrench icon, format card

download https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/99bd629f7c5712346369840e64c04fd2d4576520/platform/650D.101/devkit/650D-safe-dumper.fir?at=unified, then copy the .fir file to your card and put it back in the camera.

With the cam in manual mode, go to last wrench setting before star, fimware ver, set,  select ok, then my menu settings will read enablebootdisk :)

Put your card in the computer and download http://pel.hu/down/EOScard.exe and run this program

Check EOS Devlop and Bootdisk boxes, save

Check the card, if EOS card wrote any files, delete them

Copy from your ML folder these files: ML folder, autoexec.bin and 650D-safe-dumper.fir to your card

Put card in camera and press the trashcan button after it boots, then the left arrow button to the left of the set button

EOS 760D + 55-250mm + Tokina 11-16mm

tomaash

thanks donjames150.
these are the exact instructions i have followed and the comments of others made me confident to test it.
i know it worked for them and i don't understand why it doesn't work for me...

donjames150

Quote from: tomaash on May 18, 2013, 02:30:31 PM
thanks donjames150.
these are the exact instructions i have followed and the comments of others made me confident to test it.
i know it worked for them and i don't understand why it doesn't work for me...

Try all steps again. Sometimes a file (such as the .fir file) doesn't copy correctly and doesn't indicate that it didn't copy incorrectly. If that
doesn't work, try rebooting your computer and then re-download the .fir file and copy to your card. I have all sorts of strange things happen
if I don't reboot regularly.

Another thing to do is a disk check on your card, it's a long shot but something is wrong :-)

nanomad

Or you could just upload a screenshot of the content of the card, as you're probably copying stuff in the wrong place ;)

Yeti183

Hi tomaash

Not sure but maybe the reason is you use a 64BG card?

"■For first install, use a simple SD/SDHC/CF card (32 GB or smaller). 64GB cards and larger will not work for first install (but you can use them with ML, see below).
"

If you have a smaller card give it a try with that one - you can use the bigger ones as explained in the install instructions in the Documentation web pages.

Best, Robert
T90,EOS 650D

En veritas

the instructions posted by donjames are accurate but to get it to install for me i had to go into menu > 4 dot spanner > Clear Settings > clear all camera settings before the install would work for me.

i also used a 2GB and 16GB card, not tried on my 32GB (currently has footage from a live project on it) and i dont have a 64GB.

i also didnt get the green boot disk screen but i have a 3 day old build installed and most features work as already stated.

Massive thanks go out to Nanomad and the rest of the team for all this hard work.
Canon 650D | 18-55 Kit Lens, EF 50mm 1.8, various old FD lenses | SanDisk Extreme and Extreme Pro SD Cards.

donjames150

Quote from: En veritas on May 18, 2013, 06:10:32 PM
the instructions posted by donjames are accurate but to get it to install for me i had to go into menu > 4 dot spanner > Clear Settings > clear all camera settings before the install would work for me.

i also used a 2GB and 16GB card, not tried on my 32GB (currently has footage from a live project on it) and i dont have a 64GB.

i also didnt get the green boot disk screen but i have a 3 day old build installed and most features work as already stated.

Massive thanks go out to Nanomad and the rest of the team for all this hard work.

you are right, that's something I forgot in my instructions. I had cleared my special settings  ::)

tomaash

thank you all for your input.

it looks like the size of the card might be the problem however that's the only card i have.

* i cleared my settings
* i downloaded bright new .fir file
* all the files (ML folder, autoexec.bin a 650D-safe_dumper.fir) are in the root of the card (as in the tutorial video)
* chkdsk found no errors

the next step is to find another card and try it all again.

any experience with using a big card? mine is SanDisk Extreme SDXC I 64GB 45MB/s, the one I bought with the camera.

can anybody please test the card to see if that's the problem?

tommix

Canon SHOULD pay these guys for this AWESOME work!!! you probably increased canon DSLR's sales by 20% :)

Don't know maybe there is already is this: but controlling audio bitrate as the video-would be great. i guess nobody needs audio with 1500 Kbps. 448 should be good :D

Also noticed that focus peak drains battery very fast (and camera is new..so it couldn't be old batt) and increases cpu temp kinda fast. from 33c to 45c in 10mins :(

PS. i did all the instructions in above post and everything works.

donjames150

Quote from: tomaash on May 18, 2013, 06:53:32 PM
thank you all for your input.

it looks like the size of the card might be the problem however that's the only card i have.

* i cleared my settings
* i downloaded bright new .fir file
* all the files (ML folder, autoexec.bin a 650D-safe_dumper.fir) are in the root of the card (as in the tutorial video)
* chkdsk found no errors

the next step is to find another card and try it all again.

any experience with using a big card? mine is SanDisk Extreme SDXC I 64GB 45MB/s, the one I bought with the camera.

can anybody please test the card to see if that's the problem?

Looks like your card IS the problem. You can't use a larger than 32 gb card for first install (updating firmware), but you can run ML
on it after you've updated the firmware

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install

First-time installation
Magic Lantern Unified - Install Tutorial(03:22)
Step 1. Preparing your camera

Fully charge your battery
Remove any accessories from your camera (such as battery grip or external flash)
For first install, use a simple SD/SDHC/CF card (32 GB or smaller). 64GB cards and larger will not work for first install (but you can use them with ML

Best Buy has 2GB cards for $4

tomaash

good job donjames150. thank you. meanwhile i have found this and was about to post it too...

"SD cards up to 2G size are always formatted in-camera with FAT16 file system, where SDHC cards 4G and larger format with FAT32 (and even larger SDXC cards with ExFAT) ... It seems that most firmware update executables run more happily in the FAT16 file system environment."

so yes the ExFAT file system of my 64GB card is the problem. well unexpected.
thanks everybody.

Chiriponga

Hi everyone, just installed ML and everything looks useful, as I see, you just got to be lurking on this thread in order to avoid messing it up.
Btw, after reading this whole thread, I got surtprised about Canon and its such way to shit on hardware (The whole SDcard thing) in order to stop the ML train... But CHOO CHOO motherfuckers, we are here!
"Saludos" for everybody who is woking in this project.
I should've brought the T3i

papkee

Nano, how close are we in terms of any RAW capabilities or even another PreAlpha?

I'm quite interested in helping out by beta testing whenever I can.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

Morkins

Quote from: nanomad on May 17, 2013, 12:31:44 PM
Can you upload a video of the flickering? Quickly browse ML menus and canon menus so I can see what settings are in use

- Canon overlays drawing over ML menu: known bug, I'll try the EOSM fix
- No ML stuff in LV: User error :P Press DISP button until Canon overlays are gone :)
- SD card capacity doing weird stuff: known bug, the fix did not work as I expected though. I'll try different positions

Sorry for the terrible phone video(which refused to focus), but I was just wanting to sort of show you what I was talking about.

Edit - Give youtube a minute to process....

v1de0

Too many noobs if you are going to post in a forum do a little research. ;D        So when the admins and devs see your post they don't go from this :D to this  >:( because you are asking  for stupid things like 4k video on a t2i.   
Canon Rebel t2i/550D 18-55 kit lens  rokinon Asperical lens(f1.4)varios fd lenses 2x tele converter quanatiary 80-200   50mm f1.8/f1.4 Pentax 50mm f2.82, Pentax telephoto lens and a 75 -300 EF Zoom.  Final Cut pro 10 2010 iMac 2006 iMac 07 MacBook 2006 MacBook pro and a custom pc beast (for Premier)

nanomad

Quote from: papkee on May 19, 2013, 05:01:13 AM
Nano, how close are we in terms of any RAW capabilities or even another PreAlpha?

I'm quite interested in helping out by beta testing whenever I can.

RAW fully working, 1280x560 is what a good card can record at 24p. The trouble is that the RAW feed has the movie mode AF points burnt into the image. It's probably a software thing as canon H264 video doesn't have them and I need to figure them out before releasing anything.

nanomad

Quote from: Morkins on May 19, 2013, 05:14:04 AM

Sorry for the terrible phone video(which refused to focus), but I was just wanting to sort of show you what I was talking about.

Edit - Give youtube a minute to process....
Are you changing FPS while recording? If so, you're not supposed to as everything goes out of sync

prichards7

I know all about the when is it going to be finished questions and will it have this super dooper thingy
Im just curious to see if you've toyed in your mind what might be possible with the 650d?
If this is a silly question or wastes your time, then please dont answer
Im just in the process of choosing a camera between the 600d and 650d for videoing motocross and Im at a cross roads
Many thanks for all of your hard work desire :)
Paul

www.freedom7motox.com

APXmusic

Are there any plans for 5 7 or 9 shot auto bracketing?

ejszarny

Quote from: APXmusic on May 19, 2013, 10:47:38 AM
Are there any plans for 5 7 or 9 shot auto bracketing?
im also waiting for this...