EOS R information query

Started by spidiq8, January 13, 2023, 03:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spidiq8

Hi guys,
Newly registered here in the hopes of getting some help or guidance.
I'm an active user of magic lantern on the EOS M and a huge thanks to Danne for his amazing builds and tireless work making it so incredible The query:
I recently got an EOS RP and was interested in finding the shutter count.
Software options that work are restricted to one verified which only runs on Mac/iPad etc and I don't have access to these.
However a Google showed me this thread and I'd like to try it.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25305.0

Unfortunately I know absolutely zero about coding with my experience being just using ML on another body.
Would someone be able to assist or explain what I'd need to do to be able to use this 'rom dumper'? to get the shutter count info, of greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Walter Schulz

You have several options:

1. Use tools working over USB: Tornado EOS (free version will do) for Windows (and emulations) or terminal program "gphoto2" for Linux, macOS, Raspberry, ...
2. Run Canon Basic script as described. Needs a script card with FAT16 or FAT32 format and 2 small text files. Drop a line if you want to go this way.

ROM dump will do not that much to help you or you learn how to debug several megabyte of ARM assembler code via Ghidra. Then you are welcome as a developer for Magic Lantern.

spidiq8

Thanks for your swift reply Walter.
Perhaps I was mis reading the thread link I added, when I typed ROM dump I wasn't entirely sure that's what I needed which is why I put the question mark.
Your description of option 2 sounds like what I was reading, literally just to get the shutter actuations that Canon love to make it hard t to do.
I have an old 16gb card formatted to fat32 ready so option 2 would be great if you don't mind.
I'd love to know more about the usb tools and what could be done if you can point me somewhere (like a 'dummies guide to' thread or page).
Apologies that I'm so unknowledgeable on this. Give me something mechanical and I'll strip and rebuild it but this coding stuff is like magic to me.
Would you like me to pop you a pm through?

Walter Schulz

c_joerg

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 13, 2023, 03:32:18 PM
2. Run Canon Basic script as described. Needs a script card with FAT16 or FAT32 format and 2 small text files. Drop a line if you want to go this way.
it is important that the sd card is made bootable for the script
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Card_Setup
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/EOScard
EOS R

spidiq8

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 13, 2023, 09:19:47 PM
Your PC's OS is?
Let us talk on discord: https://discord.gg/uaY8akC

I'm on Windows (10)
Have had to set up discord as that's not something I use but am registered and have sent a greeting message.

Walter Schulz

Nothing there yet.
You must claim a role. Select "Supporter" in #rules.

spidiq8

Quote from: c_joerg on January 14, 2023, 08:40:43 AM
it is important that the sd card is made bootable for the script
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Card_Setup
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/EOScard

Thanks for these links, had to find the EOScard in an archive as it wouldn't download from the link and have followed the instructions to make bootable on my 16GB card so that should be ready to go.

Walter Schulz

spidiq8

Ah, no, just the bootdisk, I can rerun that just now though with script selected in addition.

spidiq8

Just redone with bootdisk and script selected.

Walter Schulz

Use Notepad++ (recommended) to create script.req and extend.m
Before storing them select Edit -> EOL conversion -> Unix (LF)

Contents of script.req
for DC_scriptdisk

Contents of extend.m
private sub Initialize()
    System.Create()
    CamInfo_Debug(1)
end sub

Copy files to card. Insert card to cam and proceed.

spidiq8

Walter, you rock, thank you so much for taking time out to help me on this.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D (sorry the discord thing didn't seem to work initially, I did select the supporter option)
c_Joerg, thank you for the links to make the EOScard part easy for me.
I really appreciate this and those bits of script worked a treat and saved me hunting down an innocent mac user for the only other software I know of.

Running it gave me CAM_INFO.XML file

Info excerpt below

-<FirmwareVer>

<Internal>0.3.9.8</Internal>

<Major>1.6.0</Major>

</FirmwareVer>

<ErrorList/>

<TotalShoot>2479</TotalShoot>

<TotalShutter>1086949606</TotalShutter>

<PowerOnCount>404</PowerOnCount>

<TotalRunningTime>205183</TotalRunningTime>

</CameraInfo>

</Canon>

Not sure what totalshoot relates to but total shutter tallies near enough with the image numbers i'm getting recorded at currently 2898.
Perhaps that covers eshutter actuations as i've played with that in image stacking where the total shutter shows actual physical shutter?
Either way i'm happy that it seems to be accurate and hasn't had a count reset after a 90 thousand actuations etc.

For summary for other readers in case this is useful.
EOS RP
Run CHDK on an old 16GB card Formatted to FAT32
Low level formatted in camera (don't know if this matters)
Bootdisk and Script selected
Copied files supplied by Walter using notepad++ and saving as directed.

Card inserted in camera
Press play
Press Q/Info button
LED flash

CAM_INFO.xml created

names_are_hard

From the thread linked earlier, RP seems to have some large offset applied to the TotalShutter number, we don't know why.  Subtracting this, yours is probably 2297.  We suspect TotalShutter is shutter actuations, and TotalShoot is pictures taken, including both physical and electronic shutter.

If the count had been reset, you would have no way of knowing.  Shutter could really have 1,000,000 activations, then the count was reset, then 2297 taken.

spidiq8

Quote from: names_are_hard on January 14, 2023, 09:17:46 PM
From the thread linked earlier, RP seems to have some large offset applied to the TotalShutter number, we don't know why.  Subtracting this, yours is probably 2297.  We suspect TotalShutter is shutter actuations, and TotalShoot is pictures taken, including both physical and electronic shutter.

If the count had been reset, you would have no way of knowing.  Shutter could really have 1,000,000 activations, then the count was reset, then 2297 taken.

I'm inclined to believe it's fairly accurate as the body condition is excellent, no visible wear on the typical high wear areas i've seen on the many camera bodies i've had over the years or marks on tripod mount, hotshoe, buttons etc
Interesting though if resetting the count in menu resets the total count via this method?

kitor

QuoteInteresting though if resetting the count in menu resets the total count via this method?

There's no menu option to reset the count. It can't be done easily.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

spidiq8

I'm referring to how you can insert another card with a different image count and you pick up shooting without formatting in camera it picks up the count from the last image on there
I.e. you shoot 100 images. You insert a card from a camera that's shot 500 images. You take photos without formatting that card. Your continuous recording now reflects 500 images rather than 100.
Additionally you can have the image count reset after formatting as a menu option.
This is certainly the way the older DSLR bodies did it as I've inadvertently done so on an older body when switching CF cards between a 20D and a newer 30D when I'd just gotten it.

kitor

Ah, you refer to file naming counter. This doesn't reflect internal shutter count in any way (the one you get from CAM_INFO.XML). It only increases with each shot.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

spidiq8

Quote from: kitor on January 15, 2023, 08:25:54 PM
Ah, you refer to file naming counter. This doesn't reflect internal shutter count in any way (the one you get from CAM_INFO.XML). It only increases with each shot.

Yes. Apologies if I wasn't clear enough. I've had a couple of canons where the file numbering has had this happen and there's no other way way to tell the shutter count as canon don't include it in the exif data.
In the case of the 30D that was mine and new hence the sudden surprise at seeing it at several thousand shots higher than I expected after using the older cameras card.
I'm always careful to format in camera before shooting since but with a second hand camera it's nice to be able to check.
Thanks to the kind gents above they made that easy for me.

names_are_hard

The file numbering doesn't show the shutter count.