1190 x 2800

Started by lightspeed, June 02, 2022, 07:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightspeed

would it be possible to have a 1190 x 2800 resolution so we can film without rolling shutter.

Walter Schulz

This is not how it works. This is not how any of this works.

Skinny

You can get 2x anamorphic adapter, rotate it 90 degrees and shoot in 1,125:1 aspect ratio or something close to it.. which is easy with ML. And you will get 9:16 aspect ratio, vertical.

lightspeed

yes that's what I mean. but I don't want a anamorphic mode. can you not do 1190 x 2800 and then just turn the camera 90.

names_are_hard

Has been suggested several times before.  It's an interesting idea.  Likely needs someone to mess around with registers to see if any cam will record in "portrait raw".  Might work.

lightspeed

I don't know why the camera wasn't designed to have rolling shutter up and down. you move side to side much more.

ArcziPL

This won't eliminate the problem but change the appearance of its result. All objects moving in the direction of sensor readout will get extended in length. Moving in the opposite direction will get squeezed. Maybe it will be less disturbing than the jello effect, maybe more. I don't know without seeing some examples.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

Walter Schulz

That is the point!
Should be possible to test "disturbingness" to some extent without additional coding. Cam in portrait orientation, do some recording with panning left/right. In post crop aspect ratio and rotate.
No idea how much increasing resolution may add to squeeze/extention.

And there should be no difference for rotating objects jello (fans, propellers, ...) but orientation.

lightspeed

I saw a video on it and it looked like it fixed the rolling shutter. that's where I got the idea. I didn't see any squeeze/ or extension so perhaps its not noticeable.

names_are_hard

This will not and cannot remove rolling shutter effect.  That effect will always be present on a sensor that is scanned one line at a time.

Reorienting the scan direction relative to the scene can change the appearance of the distortion.  Will it be a pleasant change?  Depends on the scene.

Skinny

For footage shot hand-held with some shake it probably won't be a pleasant change... but I think for filming from the car window it can provide better results.

lightspeed

names_are_hard

This looks how I'd expect, and still shows rolling shutter.  They've chosen scenes with fast horizontal pans, but no vertical pans.  Distortion of objects is still visible, but it's a different kind of distortion.

It might be nice to have this as an option within ML, it needs someone to mess around with registers to get a portrait resolution.