FPS Override and sound

Started by dtamonis, February 28, 2018, 03:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtamonis

Hello,

searching the forum, I found that sound was disabled with FPS Override On a long time ago. I did not find a clear explanation why this was done (except that it will go out of sync), or whether it may be reenabled in the future. A few posts by people asking to bring it back where mostly left unreplied. Since this is very important to me, I want to ask a few questions:

- what exactly prevents from recording the sound with custom FPS? Desync would not be a problem for me, as long as I knew that both video and audio started and ended simultaneously. I just need to time an event, and my time source is an audio signal.

- if I understand correctly, there was a very old ML version(s) that made it possible to record with sound and FPS Override enabled. Did it work without issues, and is it possible to download a version that had this?

- there was also some talk about recording a separate WAV file. That would also be good, if recording both video and audio starts and stops at the same time. However, I could not find an option to record a separate WAV.

I would like to hear any suggestions about how to record both video and audio at low FPS, if that is possible at all. I need this very much.

Also, a quick unrelated question: recording in crop mode with more resolutions is only available with crop_rec, and only on 5D3? My camera is 550D.

Thanks in advance for any useful input.

a1ex

Last time I've checked it (early 2012), H.264 recording stopped after a few seconds if FPS override was enabled (with the buffer overflow icon). Why it happens, I have no idea (likely some strong assumptions about frame rate somewhere deep in Canon code).

You can, however, record raw video with sound and FPS override (although resolution won't be great on 550D).

dtamonis

I see.

I tried raw recording before, but it seems I was confused by FPS Override menu item description at the bottom, which said "changes FPS, also disables sound", and somehow did not notice that I also had to turn Mlv_sound on in the audio menu, just activating the module was not enough. Yes, it does work with raw video, tried to record at 6 FPS and it seems to be fine. The only thing is a warning "crash detected" just after starting to record, but video file is recorded successfully.

So thanks a lot for the response.