Development Thread: Footage for Mac (New Mac app for MLV)

Started by martinhering, February 12, 2017, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinhering

@togg

QuoteI get this:

Best thing would be to provide the file somewhere for me to download.

QuoteBy the way, extraction of dngs isn't planned right? Especially compressed dngs as in MlRawViewer.

I dont know about compressed yet, but export to CinemaDNG is planned. Somewhere around Alpha 3 or 4. Here's my current roadmap:

Alpha 1: Basic proof of concept (is public already)
Alpha 2: Browsing of files with thumbnails and metadata as well as batch export
Alpha 3: Better development tools like histogram, zebras, rgb parade, better sharpening etc.
Alpha 4: CinemaDNG export, LUT support

@reddeercity

QuoteYes your black level off  , I'm betting it 3x crop mlv_lite ? it's a known problem with 5d2 use full mlv

Would a black-level compensation help here? Is this a problem with writing the wrong black levels into the mlv file?

@lostfeliz

Have you tried re-encoding the file with Compressor or ffmpeg or something? Does this help?
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

togg

Interesting, thanks!

Compressed dngs are really usefull imho, Resolve recognize them and they take so much less space that the cdng which are even bigger than normal dngs.

Lars Steenhoff

When you implement LUT support can you make it so that two luts can be stacked on top of each other?   for example the first LUT is SLog3 as the input LUT and the second a Color grading LUT like Filmconvert.

martinhering

QuoteWhen you implement LUT support can you make it so that two luts can be stacked on top of each other?   for example the first LUT is SLog3 as the input LUT and the second a Color grading LUT like Filmconvert.

Makes sense.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

reddeercity

Quote from: martinhering on March 19, 2017, 08:57:16 AM
@reddeercity
Would a black-level compensation help here? Is this a problem with writing the wrong black levels into the mlv file?
Yes & Yes just in mlv_lite in 3x Crop mode .
If you check out MLVProduder (PC App ) He has implemented raw black level  , usually 5d2 has a black level of 1791 I have seen in 3x crop levels as low as 430   

lostfeliz

reddeercity

Well , There seem to be a frame rate problem thou I haven't downloaded the 20GB MLV yet (tomorrow I will) did download the prores 6.7 GB file
for some reason the encoded frame rate is Variable Like for streaming it should Fixed @ 23.976  not 24.00 to 23.077 but there's more
General
Complete name                            : D:\ML Test Forum Files\M07-1402.mov
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : QuickTime
Codec ID                                 : qt 
File size                                : 6.72 GiB
Duration                                 : 4mn 0s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 240 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-03-13 19:26:49
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-03-13 19:37:25
Writing library                          : Apple QuickTime
Video
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : ProRes
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : 4444
Codec ID                                 : ap4h
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 238 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate                       : 23.077 fps
Maximum frame rate                       : 24.000 fps
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:4:4
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 4.795
Stream size                              : 6.68 GiB (99%)
Title                                    : Core Media Video
Writing library                          : Apple
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings, Endianness              : Little
Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
Codec ID                                 : lpcm
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 44.1 MiB (1%)
Title                                    : Core Media Audio

The file will not play in normal Apple QT players etc.. but I was able to play it in windows 7 pro on
DJV Imaging, Version: djv-1.1.0 http://djv.sourceforge.net , and it was jumpy like wrong frame rate.
The great thing about this player I can manually adjust the frame rate on the fly , so when
I turn down the master file metadata frame rate to about 9 fps the file played smoothly .
A few ideas come to mind , One that stand out is slow computer hardware , did you import
your file in to footage app from the CF/SD card or did you work local off the hard drive/SSD ?
Anyways it's getting late , I'll download later and report back.

Edit: Sorry it not a frame rate issue my fault now I see the problem with the checker pattern in the red colors
some strange stuff going on here

saulbass

Just to say - am really impressed with build 89. (and the magic of magic lantern).

Finally I can get to see my 650D 10bit MLV's in all their glory - no focus pixels visible.
tested at 1440 x 810 @ 25fps.

Thanks to everyone for this extraordinary achievement.

martinhering

@lostfeliz @reddeercity

There might be a problem with audio. If I save the file in QuickTime player again, the saved file does not have audio, but opens correctly in Photoshop and Compressor. The original .mov file does not. I am currently downloading the MLV to reproduce the problem and see what's going wrong with the export. Make take a day or two. The MLV is huge.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

DeafEyeJedi

Re: Version 0.1.3 (89) according to my tests it seems that if I want to make changes to the dimensions and/or the FPS override to whatever preferences is made other than the default source provided from each MLV which then doesn't complete the exports (it stops rendering once it hits to the final 2 frames) thus forcing me to click 'cancel' to go on and about.

If I change the dimensions/FPS back to original source then all is fine when it comes to exporting.

Is this a bug or have I gone inbugsanity:o

Oh and btw so far Focus Pixels seems to have come out handy from both of my EOSM & SL1 (100D) and great job on conquering these down @martinhearing!

Quote from: dfort on March 13, 2017, 11:34:37 PM
Like I said before, I have never seen all of the focus pixels show up on a single shot so if you created your map files from a single exposure you will eventually have someone come to you with a shot where your app didn't removed all of the focus pixels.

I really didn't want to be this guy haha -- I've managed to find a footage from 100D that doesn't do well in highlights (probably clipped) or whatever it is that's causing them not to be removed from within your app. However, cr2hdr.app does the magic perfectly well as it seems!

DNG from MLRV 1.4.3

Footage 0.1.3 (89)

DNG from cr2hdr.app (Thanks @Danne!)

Also included the original MLV (199 MB) as well as a single DNG from each app (both are 969 KB) with these Focus Pixels for inspection if you like.

MLV: https://mega.nz/#!uxVkyYBb!txFL8hxa-VupoEYBKCrJI4P5uhNA1e0qUxC6x01I-r4

DNG from MLRV 1.4.3: https://mega.nz/#!qhsDXZxT!1ob1Rp6GMxSJdFwxrICKirq2csGDFiv_IvRRaznLkTU

DNG from cr2hdr.app: https://mega.nz/#!m8tnSJaT!-6Os3Fihfo9z0LYswzxLT_3mcViCd08-1EssKWhZJjM
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

martinhering

@DeafEyeJedi

I made a hotfix update 0.1.4 for the problems you mentioned:

- Added focus pixel map for mv720 mode on 100D
- Improved focus pixel maps for 650d and 700d
- Fixed hang when exporting with no audio
- Fixed some memory leaks

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/3ed6ecf60e684239a6aba3d407cf3935/app_versions/41

Currently working on 0.2, which includes all those fixes, but takes a couple more days to finish.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

lostfeliz

@reddeercity, Yes. Maybe it is the audio. But don't be misled by the crunchy audio distortion on the clip, because coincidentally I had my cheap-o "b" mic on while I shot b-roll and learned from this shoot day that it needs immediate replacing.

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @martinhering for the quick fixes. Can confirm dimension/FPS override works well for exports. When copy/pasting the 'grade' I notice that it doesn't affect the FPS (stays on source) but the demensions do get changed based on preference. Is this normal?

However, I'm well aware that this is all still in beta mode and is expected but recently w Version 0.1.4 (94) I was navigating through a bunch of folders that had MLV's in them which I thought was an intuitive feature to have. You can even collapse the Folder's window and open another Folder all within the Import section of this app. Really nice!

Though it crashed at some point after fiddling around and I was able to save a crash log report into a text file and here you go in case they're of any help or give out hints.

https://mega.nz/#!W4slgCJb!-voRyQN60gdTKF53KsZZEE4JFuMQc3UoPp3xb4VSLKw

Also after this crash I can confirm that all of the folders were not brought back instead it goes back to what I had before opening recently. At least your app made an effort to save as much as it can after such a crash. Thumbs up, Martin!

Looking forward to your next journey to Version 0.2 and Thanks again for all that you have done and continue to do so.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Teamsleepkid

2.000000000hhhh very excited. love this app. don't even wanna use resolve anymore. thanks martin.
EOS M

Wayne H

Hi Martin,

Fantastic app, works like magic.

However,  alex has just released a new amazing update with the option to compress the raw data in camera, (60% lossless)  i have tried to view the files in your app, but it crashes everytime.

Alex did say that the windows mlv dump app did need tweeking to be able to decode the MLV file,

Will you be able to update this app so these new MLV files can be read?!

Thanks... Wayne.

martinhering

QuoteHowever,  alex has just released a new amazing update with the option to compress the raw data in camera, (60% lossless)  i have tried to view the files in your app, but it crashes everytime.

Alex did say that the windows mlv dump app did need tweeking to be able to decode the MLV file,

Will you be able to update this app so these new MLV files can be read?!

Where can I find more information about this build?
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Walter Schulz

martinhering

@Walter Schulz

OK, thank you. I'll check it out.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

12georgiadis

@martin
Thanks for développing this app.
I'm professionnal editor/director and here what we Would love to work with :

Fix all issues related to decode mlv from any cameras
Export XML v5 fcp7 (work for all NLE)
Fcpxml multiversions.
Batch Off Line / online professionnal workflow (mlv/proxys + transcode format/proxys
Standard cinéma dng / compressed cinéma dng
Dpx 10/16 bits
Tiff
More Open source codecs for exports like jpeg2000, ffv1,HUFyuv,lagarith,dirac, dalaa (to édit on kdenlive, flowblade etc)
Export stills / grab stills
Tags, markers
Decoding mlv from fcpx/résolve/première would Be awesome.
Thanks

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

martinhering

It took me a while, because I need to work on a different project at the moment to earn some money. Developing this app is more complex than I thought. Anyway here's a new version:

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/3ed6ecf60e684239a6aba3d407cf3935/app_versions/57

Version 0.2 Build 111 (Alpha 2)

- Export to Cinema DNG
- Improved folder support
- Added grid of thumbnails to preview folder content
- Added showing file metadata in grid view
- Improved multi-selection support
- Improved focus pixel maps for 100D, 650D and 700D
- Support for Lossless JPEG compression
- Added "Reveal in Finder"
- Added "Move to Trash" for deleting files from the disk
- Fixed crashes and improved performance

First startup can be slow, because the database has to be migrated from the Alpha 1. All subsequent app starts should be fast though.

Also here's a screenshot of the new grid view:
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

frenchps49

Installed new version. Freezes on start up. Or is it so slow that it takes minutes to start for first time.

timbytheriver

New version crashes on every startup attempt. Just sayin...  :-\

OSX 10.11.6
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

bayard1965

martinhering

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSKeyedArchiver encodeValueOfObjCType:at:]: this archiver cannot encode structs'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

I am on it. Should not be a problem on 10.12 though.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

frenchps49

I'm on 10.12 and it crashes too.