Bit rate investigation

Started by Audionut, July 19, 2012, 04:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

That stuff isn't done yet.. been working on raw which is 10x better than H264.

N/A

I know it's a moot point now but I noticed with slice 87/GOP 3 video on the TL1 build that I could push the in-camera sharpening up a few notches with no discernible effect on moire or aliasing, which I found much more pleasant looking than sharpening in post.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

wenen

Any recommended settings for RAW with SanDisk Extreme SDHC 45MB/s 32GB card?

I have try 1280/720 25p its laggy

1%

mike.charal

Hey guys, I've been itching to test this out and I finally found the time, but I can't seen to find the menu item "RAW video" on the most recent 600D Tragic Lantern 2.0 build. I get a message that says "script dir missing", just in case that has something to do with it. I still get that message even when there is a script dir there. Sorry to clutter up the thread but I'd love to know if I'm missing something totally obvious here. Thanks so much in advance, I'm continually amazed by the progress here.

1%

mike.charal

wenen

How many frames can you film? I can only do 71 frames then it stop

1%

vfx_junkie

1%

can you tell me what are the best settings for GOP etc.

on default I can shoot on CBR x20 with no problem the quality is much better then the native x1.0 :D
600D kit lense + 50 1.8

Critical Point

Seems to me, that everyone has gone with the raw video trend, and forgot about tweaking the H.264, but for the 600D, I think that this is the only real option for improving quality. As long as we can't get at least 1280x720@24 fps raw on the 600D, tweaking better the H.264 still remains the only real option. I was really intrested in seeing more progress on this thread.
600D & GH2 / PC.

Audionut

It's understandable that attention has been focused on raw recording.

It's pro's far outweigh it's cons.

This topic could become active again at some stage in the future, especially if the pipeline can be adjusted to bypass the intentional quality destroying attributes of Canons current implementation.

Critical Point

Yes, it kills me to see how much quality the hacks bring on GH2, and how little improvement bring on Canon. I mean Canon can now shoot at ~160 mb/s, and we get nowhere near the quality improvement that we see on a GH2 shooting at even 65 mb/s. We definitely need better H.264 tweaks, and I still believe it can be done, and I have great faith in the developers of ML that they will manage to crack this problem. AVCHD that Panasonic is using, and Canon's H.264, are related, because AVCHD is just a subset of H.264, and because of this, I know we can get way better quality from the H.264 then we're getting now, if Panasonic have done it, ML can do it too.
600D & GH2 / PC.

driftwood

Now Ive got the MKIII Im gonna be dedicating some to time to the h.264 encoder settings.
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

1%

N/A

Quote from: 1% on June 08, 2013, 03:55:50 AM
Welcome to the dark side, lol.
You ever look into why PAL 25p could do audio with max bitrate, but NTSC 24p couldn't? Or was that just a fluke?

1%

I tried to, when I put fixed slice back I'll try it again.

First I have to fix the crashes with EVF state and MZ + raw histo or zebra.

N/A

Cool, can't wait. Too bad 2k .mov is impossible, we could probably hit it with 170 mbps.

1%

Yea, fixed sizes is all it takes :( At best we can take some other rectangle crop.

Critical Point

How about taking a normal ML 2.3 for 600D, and add the GOP control feature on it, and then release it as a nightly build ? ML 2.3+, or something like that.

Right now, that's all I'm caring about, that GOP control feature, because it's becoming clearer that on a 600D, the raw feature ain't going to happen for 720p@24 fps.
600D & GH2 / PC.

N/A

Rush

Quote from: Critical Point on June 09, 2013, 03:43:28 PM
Right now, that's all I'm caring about, that GOP control feature, because it's becoming clearer that on a 600D, the raw feature ain't going to happen for 720p@24 fps.
GOP Control is not the best way to achieve max quality of H.264.
Flush rate control do this job better, but it just lacks compatibility with audio yet...
Greetings from Russia!

Critical Point

Flush rate control ? And what settings exactly ? I don't need audio.
600D & GH2 / PC.

ItsMeLenny

So is it official that the dslrs can only record at 1080, 720, and 480.
Or are there other options somewhere in there.
I can imagine the processors only being designed for those as the optimal.

jankyy

hi there,

i have been looking for instructions about setting the .h264 encoder on latest ML / 6D. unfortunately, the 'user guide' seems to refer to some older version / menu items.

could somebody tell a noob like me, what's a good (and safe!) setting / combination for shooting .h264 with approx. 80-100Mbit/sec? in 'my' encoder menu, the possibilities are:

- Bit Rate (0... 15 or more)
- InitQP (off ... 50)
- Flush Rate (auto ... 4frames... 50frames)
- GOP size (default ... 100frames)
- Autoload conf (off / on / override)
- Config select (off/h264.ini  /  CBR fixed QP   /   VBR   / Rate Control)

i don't understand how these items combine, and i can't find an explanation anywhere... thanks so much -

jan

p.s. i have ML from June 2013, a 6D and SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB