Should I re-format my card once in while to keep good performance

Started by Levas, February 28, 2014, 03:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Hi there,

Does anyone know if I should once in a while re-fromat my card, make it bootable again and put ML on it, for better performance/stability ?
Cause I've found the same build of ML to behave different on different cards(read/write speed isn't the issue)

Could it be that the card get messed up with files by heavy recording and deleting (and not formatting) ?

mageye

It's Random Access Memory to my understanding so it shouldn't suffer in the same way as a mechanical device. Maybe I am not understanding this correctly but that's how I see it? :-\

I format my card regularly just to keep it more organised (or tidy) in my head! :o
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ted ramasola

the usual in-camera format before using should be sufficient.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Levas

In camera formatting, wouldn't that delete the ML files on the card  :o
Or should I turn off "low level" format and then ML stays on the card ?

ted ramasola

Quote from: Levas on February 28, 2014, 04:13:37 PM
In camera formatting, wouldn't that delete the ML files on the card  :o
Or should I turn off "low level" format and then ML stays on the card ?

oops, I see you are using 6D with SD card. On the 5d2 and 7D which use CF, ML has placed an option if you want to format and leave ML on the card. I'm not so sure with the SD cameras.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Levas

So I understand there's a format card option somewhere in the ML menu ?
Been browsing all the tabs, can't find it  :-\

I'm using the nightly build from 15 februari.

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

1%

the only caveat is that canon will de-exfat 32gb sd (and cf?) cards plus mess the alignment. for some resolutions the alignment is break it or make it. The quick format also does nothing to "help" the card either since it just re-creates the FAT and partitions stored at the beginning. a real low level format takes like an hour.

engardeknave

ML actually hijacks the Canon menu. I remember wondering where this ML format feature was for the longest time before I accidentally discovered it there.