Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_Hugh

ok! so with a little care and lots of reading the test you linked should be doable i suppose! only out of curiiosity - am i the first one to try this? nikfreak owns a 70d right? just asking bc I may run into very specific problems (or findings?) others may have already encountered. If I ever get this far. I'll start reading up!

dfort

karakorum

I can't run the apps i have installed......mlrawviewver , mlvfs, dng converter....nothing is running . I open the program and windows shows error .....can anyone tell me why ? pls help....

Badboy_428

Just wondering how stable the current build is. I only have the one camera and I don't want to lock it up.

zootrope

Quote from: dfort on March 13, 2018, 05:33:50 PM
70D users should be aware that your camera is almost working on the crop_rec_4k branch which means reduced bit depth and lossless compression which allows for greater resolution when recording raw video.

There are several pieces to the crop_rec_4k puzzle. One that we haven't even started on is the crop_rec module. I recently got it working on the EOSM2 so this is still fresh in my mind. This post explains what we need to find:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15895.msg197884#msg197884

You will need the adtg_gui module. The current one on the downloads page doesn't support the 70D so I made a special build of the iso-research branch. You can find it on my downloads page.

• Activate the adtg_gui module (leave all other modules off)
  • Set the Canon movie menu to 1280x720/60
  • Go int the Debug menu and in the ADTG Registers look for ADTG2[800c] - if you don't see it record a short H.264 clip and look again.
  • Override the ADTG2[800c] register from 0x4 to 0x2 -- the left/right buttons on most cameras will do this, search the forum if you need more information on how to work with the adtg_gui module.
  • In the Debug menu check the memory patches and do a screen shot of the two memory patches, adtg_log and cmos_log.
I've tried to do your test, but it failed=>adtg_gui module failed to load=>Err
i've tried to record a short H.264 clip but it didn't help...
(with your ML version : crop_rec_module_test.2018Mar13.70D112)

zootrope

Ok i've made a mistake ! with the right version is better (iso-research.2018Mar13.70D112) !!!
But i've to mentionned that at the beginning ADTG2[800c] didn't appear, so i've recorded a short H.264 clip as dfort said... but still ADTG2[800c] didn't appear, because the sound recording was not active, when i enabled it and recorded a new H.264 clip everything was fine !
I hope I did the test well :

how to delete account

dfort

@zootrope - Looks like you did everything right and it confirms what we found out back in March. The test build is still up on my downloads page, it is named crop_rec_module_test.2018Mar13.70D112.zip.

Here is the code snippet that should work. Note how it matches up with your screenshots:

modules/crop_rec/crop_rec.c
    else if (is_camera("70D", "1.1.2"))
    {
        CMOS_WRITE = 0x26B54;
        MEM_CMOS_WRITE = 0xE92D41F0;

ADTG_WRITE = 0x2684C;
        MEM_ADTG_WRITE = 0xE92D47F0;

is_basic = 1;
        crop_presets                = crop_presets_basic;
        crop_rec_menu[0].choices    = crop_choices_basic;
        crop_rec_menu[0].max        = COUNT(crop_choices_basic) - 1;
        crop_rec_menu[0].help       = crop_choices_help_basic;
        crop_rec_menu[0].help2      = crop_choices_help2_basic;
    }

Don't know if it passed muster because as far as I know we never got the lossless compression working on the 70D, though everything else seems to be working fine.

dfort

Could someone please check to see if the lua_fix (available on the experiments download page) API test works with various lenses on the 70D? I'm trying to resolve an issue with some lenses not being able to pass the focus test.

andy kh

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on April 01, 2018, 03:06:19 AM
dfort's crop-rec doesnt work yet

Working fine for me on 70D so far, need to get the 95 sandisk SD to keep pushing the limits - I've only got the 90 MicroSD with adapter currently. Still able to get some good speeds out of it though! And I can change resolution higher than 1728, so definitely working!

this guy says dfort's crop_rec build 14Mar18 works fine on his 70D
5D Mark III - 70D

bakersdozen

Quote from: andy kh on May 23, 2018, 03:55:11 PM
this guy says dfort's crop_rec build 14Mar18 works fine on his 70D

My apologies, I haven't been keeping up as far in this thread. I have only tested with 5x crop and i have been able to change resolutions without any issues.
EOS M + 5D3

OlRivrRat

ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

andy kh

tried both 23May build and 25May build. so far so good. tried on two memory cards sandisk extreme pro 64gb and sony 94 MBs/ 32gb cards. now i can shoot 10 bit 1832 X 1024 amost continues. i stop after couple of mins. even sony card also works great. my camera can write upto 49MB/s continues on the much slower sony card now.
5D Mark III - 70D

Danne

Great to hear andy_kh. A1ex sd_uhs module is a game changer...

ShootMeAlready

So Andy, I am not clear how you can write 49 MB/s when in the past the card writer speed was max 41 MB/s.
What's up?  Sorry I have not been able to decipher uhs write speeds?
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

andy kh

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on May 28, 2018, 06:53:54 PM
So Andy, I am not clear how you can write 49 MB/s when in the past the card writer speed was max 41 MB/s.
What's up?  Sorry I have not been able to decipher uhs write speeds?

you need to read the UHS-I thread. just download danne's 25 May178 build. activate and turn on the UHS-I and test for yourself. there are newer buils but i hav not tested yet. share your experience after testing. its risky but im always ready to take risk. i recorded for one hour(not continous) and find very stable. im very happy with it. i wish lossless works for 70D

edit: done a quick test with the lastest build ie 28May18 build. very stable so far no crash. there r lots of options to choose in mlv lite setting. dont select any of the lossless bits since they are not working for 70D yet. others all fine
5D Mark III - 70D

Danne

Think I found a faulty lossless register number in lossless.c and maybe this is the piece missing for lossless to work for the 70D. Test mlv_lite and the lossless settings and report back if it´s working or not:

I don't think croprec is working for the 70D so skip that particluar module for now.

EDIT: Seems, buttons and stuff won´t work properly around 70D and mlv_lite so I´ll take those builds down.

ShootMeAlready

So Andy where is the May 23/25 build with USH-I, I have a 32GB sandisk ex. pro.  What modules do I load?
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

andy kh

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on June 03, 2018, 12:22:12 AM
So Andy where is the May 23/25 build with USH-I, I have a 32GB sandisk ex. pro.  What modules do I load?

i think the build for 70D is taken down. it works very stable thought. i have been using it for the last couple of days and i have no issue so far
5D Mark III - 70D

Danne

I feel I don´t have enough time compiling for all cams but anyone can compile for the 70D here easily from this compiler helper:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=21882.0

Build from this branch(note that lossless isn´t working):
crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd_sd_uhs_HDR_ext_all_bits

fjodor

Looking for a 70D build with USH-I to test. It seemed that we were so close to 'lossless' on the 70d, I remain hopeful  ;D
Thanks to everyone involved for the hard work!

andy kh

#fjodor don't be hopefull for lossless in a 70D. development for 70D is very slow and there are no good programers who can help with this camera. time to switch your camera if you want lossless. i have unsinstall ML from my 70D some months back and i wil also be switching to some other camera as soon as i can buy another camera
5D Mark III - 70D

shinoda

Did someone compile the latest USH-I build? I'm very eager to test it! I don't know anything about compiling...

ArcziPL

Yes, I'm using it for video recording with 70D. It works simply great. Will post it later, when I'm at my PC.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

ArcziPL

In the downwloads section you will find:
https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/magic-lantern/downloads/

magiclantern-sduhs-Nightly.2018Jul17.70D112.zip -> original sd_uhs, which is benchmarking several settings, so you can find the best setting for your card but it takes ages to complete
magiclantern-sduhscustom-Nightly.2018Jul17.70D112.zip -> custom build, sd_uhs is fixed to SDR104@160MHz setting, it does test the throughput after patching *once*

On request I could prepare a similar mod like Danne did already for M, 100D, 700D, (*), skipping the testing completely. So far I didn't need it.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II