Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budafilms

A couple of Questions (EDITED):

a - Can I use Half Shutter as Autofocus only, and *  or other button for silent pictures? (I did 500 hundred silent pict doing manual focus for this) (RESOLVED, read my post below)
b -  Can I put off the sound of the ETTR for use in a quite enviroment situation, like a theatre, where Silent Pic is optimal? (YES< BEEP, Test Tones > OFF
c - Can someone provide me a link to download ML for 5d 1.1.3, including Silent Pic Full Res? Actually I have 1.2.3  RESOLVED! READ @@DeafEyeJedi

Thanks!

DeafEyeJedi

a - I've request for this in the past to no avail. It would really help us a lot though obviously not having to rely on manual!!! (However, @Licaon_Kter may have fixed this in recent build from link below.)

b -  Not sure if this would be possible but it would be a good advantage -- good thinking!

c - Did you not like the build I sent you for 113 FRSP? Perhaps you rather implement this with the latest nightly - correct?

If so, here's the latest build for 5D3 113 compiled w FRSP from @Licaon_Kter (haven't test this one myself yet since I'm in PR until this weekend)

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.msg142895#msg142895
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

budafilms

@DeafEyeJedi

That compile doesn't work fine.

I think we can wait for someone with skills to compile the last one for 1.1.3

Any help?

DeafEyeJedi

The link I just provided above is a different build compiled w FRSP for 5D3 113 than the one I sent you earlier few weeks ago (which was compiled by @kosmarnik) sorry for the confusion...

But you should definitely check this one out in particular!

Thanks again @Licaon_Kter for compiling this build w Autofocus fix for FRSP... [emoji106]

budafilms

The link provided by @DeafEyeJedi works perfect as I tried with 20 pictures. The only module that don't have is Old Raw. But this is to other thread.

- I've founded that if you press Half Shutter you can do Autofocus and not take photo. For me is perfect!
- Hi res Pic works fine!
- Can we take Silent Picture High Res Dual ISO pic?

Thanks @Licaon_Kter your build works perfect.
Thanks Again @DeafEyeJedi

DeafEyeJedi

Sweeet and yes ofc you can use Dual-ISO during FRSP! [emoji6]

Ottoga

Hi,

Any chance of a fresh build for a 7D please.

Cheers.... Otto
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Walter Schulz

Ottoga

If I was able to code I would. Unfortunately I can't hence my request.

I don't have the facility to compile either.

Always willing to test though.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

a1ex

@Licaon_Kter: I've updated autofocus detection code; can you check whether it still requires 10 iterations, or fewer of them are enough now?

Licaon_Kter

Compiled all the platforms supported by the silent module so maybe more testers help.

Some notes:
1. Up to commit 3082908
2. Added some lv_focus_status printing maybe it helps troubleshooting.
3. Added the Depth of field display patch plus these three tweaks.
4. Bypassed the dual_iso/raw_rec module build error introduced in commit 9e99764 ( info here )
5. For the 5D3 1.1.3 build I got the .FIR from the nightlies.
6. Both the 550D and the 600D build have no .FIR, not even in the nightlies.
7. For 7D there are 2 builds, maybe 7D owners know why/how.
8. 650D was not build because
[ CC       ]   raw.o
../../src/raw.c: In function 'raw_update_params_work':
../../src/raw.c:538:10: warning: #warning FIXME: are these values correct for 720p and crop modes? [-Wcpp]
         #warning FIXME: are these values correct for 720p and crop modes?
          ^
../../src/raw.c:573:47: error: 'RAW_PHOTO_EDMAC' undeclared (first use in this function)
         raw_info.buffer = (void*) shamem_read(RAW_PHOTO_EDMAC);
                                               ^
../../src/raw.c:573:47: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[1]: *** [raw.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/magic-lantern/platform/650D.104'
make: *** [650D] Error 2

Link: <removed>

@a1ex:
1. src/focus.c is missing an S in line 24 at dof.diplay
2. *-hold AF works as expected with the default 5 iterations now.

/LE: use nightly

a1ex

Licaon_Kter

Technical issues aside, those look mostly ok, can you point me to a post where maybe the correct workflow is explained?

As of now it look like I'm always some stops wrong
if I set = I get
1/125 = 240ms ( 1/4 )
1/4 = 500ms ( 1/2 )
0.5" = 789ms

I can never get the chance to see what I will get, even with Exp.Override the result is over exposed compared to what I previously seen on screen.

What am I doing wrong?

dmilligan

It explains why your numbers don't match.

In a normal exposure, the mechanical shutter controls integration time. There are periods of time where the pixels are "active" (able to collect light), but are being blocked by the mechanical shutter. Mostly this is the time after the shutter closes, but while the pixels are still being read out. FSRP uses basically the same sequence, except the mechanical shutter is not activated. So pixels are receiving light during the periods of time they would normally be blocked by the mechanical shutter.

It takes some finite amount of time to read every line of the sensor, and the lines are read one by one. You can't deactivate or reset the lines before you read them out. So if you don't use a mechanical shutter, you are going to see a brightness gradient, and there's going to be some extra exposure time.

Maybe I can explain better with an example (way over simplified, but makes the point):

t1: global reset (turn the pixels on)
t2: mechanical shutter open
t3: mechanical shutter closed
t4: readout begin
t5: readout finish

Normal photo exposure time = t3 - t2
FSRP exposure time = gradient from (t4 - t1) to (t5 - t1)
FSRP total exposure time* = t5 - t1

*according to a1ex, there is some other stuff happening that is making the reported FSRP time even longer (longer than actual integration time), the time you see on the screen is simply the amount of time the function call to FA_CaptureTestImage took.

a1ex

@SpcCb: I've added the ability to take dark and nearly-bias frames (press half-shutter outside LiveView).

Probably it's not very useful without a way to mix regular pictures with dark/bias frames, but I think this would be a job for the scripting engine.

Still, this trick now lets you take a large number of dark frames without wearing the shutter mechanism.

note 1: by nearly-bias frames I mean dark frames with the shortest exposure time possible - same thing that you would get with a regular picture at 1/4000 and lens cap on, for example.

note 2: in LiveView, with some cameras, it is possible to take true bias frames (with zero exposure time) by removing the range checks from the shutter fine-tuning feature.

note 3: if we ever figure out how to drive the sensor at full resolution and with rolling shutter (thus removing the shutter speed limitation), true bias frames might be possible as well. But for now I'm kinda clueless about how to setup the sensor this way.

DeafEyeJedi

Beautifully well done, @a1ex!!!

Looking forward to testing these out...

Glad to see you back in action!

[emoji108]

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: dmilligan on March 24, 2015, 07:28:50 PMIt explains why your numbers don't match. 8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------
Thanks, although I do understand how things work, I do want to have a useful LiveView for FRSP too, hence my question.
Is there a way ( I initially thought Exp.Override was it, but it's not ) to see in LV what you will get when you use FRSP?

I know that using LV display gain with say 3 EV get's things on par though, so maybe this is the solution.

@a1e: So no dark/bias frames on M1 since LV is always on?

budafilms

I did a little experimentation between Silent Full Res vs Regular shutter.

Same settings in both shots.

Like other user say: the exposition is over exposed in the live view. And for get a normal result I had to underexpose too much for understand what I am shooting. After the shoot, I have enabled zebras to show me the over exposition in black and green.

5 Mark III 1.1.3 compile by @Licaon_Kter FRSP commit e6e9753
Lens Canon 50 MM 1.4  @F5
Iso 100
1/20
Auto WB

I tried to apply ETTR but I get over exposure and everything is blank.

I think if Silent Picture function is taking more continuous light and is a normal operation for the no actuation of the shutter, could be implement a filter like a digital ND. In that case, I don't know if this is possible, - maybe is not constant - how many EV over the the regular photo is working Silent Pic  to create that filter (Sorry A1ex, this is not my territory ;)

Here the photos:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/iau9k8vwbibls9n/Silent%20Pic%20vs%20regular.zip?dl=0

guisquil

Is this the version with the latest changes?

Mercurial changeset   : 5ce22358adb5 (fullres-silent-pics) tip
Built on 2015-03-25 05:03:58 UTC by codio@tina-fire.

I'm learning how to build from source and want to make sure, before I report bugs on a 7D

budafilms

Licaon_Kter

Compiled all the platforms supported by the silent module so maybe more testers help.

Some notes:
1. Up to commit 5ce2235
2. Added the Depth of field display patch plus these three tweaks.
3. Bypassed the dual_iso/raw_rec module build error introduced in commit 9e99764 ( info here )
4. For the 5D3 1.1.3 build I got the .FIR from the nightlies.
5. Both the 550D and the 600D build have no .FIR, not even in the nightlies.
6. For 7D there are 2 builds, maybe 7D owners know why/how.
7. 650D was build too this time since a1ex fixed it

Link: <removed>

/LE: use nightly

swinxx

Great. But i can not find a build for 5d mk3 fw123 ??