Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steadycamer

Hi,

I use the 24 oct 2013 build - Raw rec. I d like to shoot in 3X mode : So i press one time zoom button and the framing is accurate ( with ML greyscale ). But when i press REC, it go to 5X mode ( so bad for framing ). My question is : Is it possible to shoot in 3X mode with accurate framing with the recent nightly build ?

Thanks, and thanks very much for this wonderfull program !

reddeercity

Yes,  press the half shutter button  while in auto preview mode (Gray Scale)
While recording Raw, this well give you a color preview.
With correct framing up to 2k

FuzzyLogic

I have not been able to find a 'stable' release on the web site. I can find the nightly builds, but not the 2.3 release which has been described as stable. Can someone please provide a link?

Thanks in advance.

FuzzyLogic

Thanks! That clears things up a ton!

Steadycamer

QuoteYes,  press the half shutter button  while in auto preview mode (Gray Scale)
While recording Raw, this well give you a color preview.
With correct framing up to 2k

I press Rec button (the image go from 3x to 5x) and then i press half shutter, the image stay in 5x but become pink.

When I first press half shutter and then press REC button, nothing happen.

So maybe the realease of 24oct do not handle this feature ?

reddeercity

I'll check it out, i mainly use the MLV so it my be that .
You still get 2K & audio with mlv have you tried it ?
I posted the build i use a few pages back , mind you the frames are  more limited
with mlv then raw , developer are working on MLVFS - Magic Lantern Video File System.
Look very promising , i look forward in testing the workflow in my next project .

Steadycamer

ok, i have tested "magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb16.5D2212" that you post, but still the same ( i try with MLV )

I think it's not possible to have good framing while recording in 3X mode. But maybe i'm missing something, so if you ever get there, I would appreciate you sharing the solution :)

in all cases, thank you

Steadycamer

ok i achieve to frame in 3x while recording with the realease of 16 FEB, but impossible to have more than 1 FPS at the 5d screen, so it's hard to get accurate

togg

Little question. What is the maximum resolution that you were able to shoot in mlv and with which options? With raw v1 I can have stable 1856X1004 with all my cards even the one that is a little bit slower.

fredoviola

Hi there, folks.  I am just discovering this wonderful option from MagicLantern and want to make sure I will be able to implement everything properly before running the firmware on my 5Dii.  Please accept my apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place or am asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere.  Any help would be much appreciated! 

I do not have a USB3 port.  My computers are two pre-2010 laptops and a mid 2012 Mac Pro.  I use the Lexar FireWire 800 reader.  Does this already make the upgrade something I should avoid? 

As well, I have been researching which CF to get... What is the difference between the Lexar 1000x and Lexar 1066x?  The price is lower on the 1066, so I wonder if there is something different about this card that would not work with MagicLantern raw? 

The resolution of the movie is lower than if I use standard Canon firmware.  How does that work?  Is there not a loss in quality when the resolution is scaled up ever-so-slightly in post?   

I am an audio visual artist and shoot experimental videos.  A friend of mine who color grades for a living mentioned that the only thing he'd change about my output would be the camera, to avoid the h264. 5D-ness that has become a part of my work.  I agree with him. I really don't dig the glowing reds and in post there is only so much that can be done to grade the image.  Would this firmware update be a good solution?  I worry when reading about corrupt frames, etc...

reddeercity

Please use the search , all your answers are there.

edingacic

@reddeercity what build are you using on your mk2 :) is everything form AD build you mentioned as being the fastest ported to main ML build.  Thanks

reddeercity

Quote from: edingacic on December 02, 2014, 04:23:45 PM
@reddeercity what build are you using on your mk2
I use Raw v2.0 (MLV) build from feb 16/'14 (as I need the 1872 resolutions plus audio) The latest nightly build , max resolutions in 1:1 is 1856 .
Quote from: edingacic on December 02, 2014, 04:23:45 PM
is everything form AD build you mentioned as being the fastest ported to main ML build.  Thanks
Mostly Yes , but lost a few "5D2 Only" features (white line rectangle frame for crop marks) & resolution (1880), some HDMI features .

DRMSWK

@fredoviola

I'm a noob here and have only just started shooting ML, but I'm in the same boat trying to get my head around all this stuff and get more involved so will attempt to answer these Qs based on my limited understanding, so please take them with a pinch of salt!

Quote from: fredoviola on November 22, 2014, 05:14:25 PM
I do not have a USB3 port.  My computers are two pre-2010 laptops and a mid 2012 Mac Pro.  I use the Lexar FireWire 800 reader.  Does this already make the upgrade something I should avoid? 
The process needs a high speed 1000x card which you are meant to run with an UDMA7 compatible card reader which is where the USB3 card reader comes in. Because of the high data rates involved, USB3.0 seems the safest bet.

As well, I have been researching which CF to get... What is the difference between the Lexar 1000x and Lexar 1066x?  The price is lower on the 1066, so I wonder if there is something different about this card that would not work with MagicLantern raw? 
Anything 1000+ is supposedly OK. Price doesn't necessarily equate to quality. The lexar cards seem vastly more expensive than the Komputer Bay cards that a lot of people here seem to use.

The resolution of the movie is lower than if I use standard Canon firmware.  How does that work?  Is there not a loss in quality when the resolution is scaled up ever-so-slightly in post?
The frame height and width are lower but the bit rate and bit depth are much, much higher, so even after you upscale you will still have tons more data in the RAW image than you would in canon's true 1080p h264. The h264 footage also has a list of things applied to it which are seemingly undesirable.

I am an audio visual artist and shoot experimental videos.  A friend of mine who color grades for a living mentioned that the only thing he'd change about my output would be the camera, to avoid the h264. 5D-ness that has become a part of my work.  I agree with him. I really don't dig the glowing reds and in post there is only so much that can be done to grade the image.  Would this firmware update be a good solution?  I worry when reading about corrupt frames, etc...
ML is a whole new way of working so it'll take some time to adjust to it, I'm basically having to relearn everything I've learnt shooting on 5D/7D for the last few years. But yes, you would have vastly more colour information for grading.
Seems like people with corrupt frames, etc. are in the minority and usually haven't for the correct settings or the latest build.

This forum has so much information and it's all so tech-y that it's a bit of a struggle for me.

DRMSWK

I have a Q:

I thought I'd try recording at 35fps to see if it's of much use as slo-mo, but when I change the desired frame rate to 35, the actual frame rate only changes to 27.17fps. Does this only work with certain other settings?

alexrepe

Hello everyone
   I hope I am posting this issue in the right place.
My 5D2 with magic lantern for 2.1.2 stable version went mad during the last weekend.
I was taking holiday pictures both in jpeg and raw. Done before, no problems there.
Until, half way of the first day (out of 3 days out shooting without having the chance of connecting to a computer) all the photos disappeared.

I continued using the camera and all the photos taken after the problem made it home safely. Those taken before turned into this (see picture in link)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMhN5xHDaQVYlU3T01lV0dNdGs/view?usp=sharing

The files are all there, but corrupted, or to better say, encoded with some ML language. In fact every file has a random size from few to hundreds GBs.

What could have happened? I'm always very careful in switching the camera on and off, or opening the CF card slot, or taking the battery out.

and most of all, DOES ANYONE (forum members or developers) have a clue what could have caused the issue or how to recover those images, if possible at all?

Thank you for your help and this space to share our problems.
Alex

reddeercity

This thread mainly deals with Raw Video related issues , General Chat --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=26.0
may be a better place.
But if you tell use more about your camera setting, ML Nightly Build date (if use )
Transfer file but tether cable usb or Card reader ?
CF card speed ?
We could help more , But as a 5D2 user with magic lantern installed for the last Year and a Half I never seen this issue .
Are you Just using the stable release version with out nightly builds ?

a1ex

Looks like there was some problem with the filesystem. I recommend formatting your card from the camera before each important shoot.

I had this error on 550D, before installing ML.

@reddeercity: General Help Q&A is a much better place; General Chat is fine for offtopic stuff. For RAW video, this is the proper place to discuss things: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=49.0

(FYI, ML is not only about RAW recording)

alexrepe

Thank you all for the interest.
  So, I'm using the stable version of ML for 2.1.2 firmware. I copy my files with a card reader. I've been using ML for 6 or 7 months now and never had this issue before. Even if I haven't been using this CF card for photography before (plenty of times for video, though). It's a PNY 100Mbps 32Gb UMDA 7.
What's funny is that the photos where there all the time until photo number 120 (ish) that made the error happen and all the other photos previously taken transformed into those unreadable files. No, i didn't switch the camera off too quickly or remove the card or anything like that. I understand how the camera or the card could mess up one picture, but i don't understand how can all the previous ones (and not the following 300) be compromised.
I'll repost the issue on the General Help Q&A.
Thank you very much.

Alex

garymadison

5D2, 2.1.2/ML Latest nightly build, two different 32GB 1066x cards, one KomputerBay. one Lexar.
Canon system software clean load with both cards.
ExFat format and erase.
Card reformatted in camera each time.
Write speeds 89/109.
Read speeds 86/108.
Not consistant both cards.
Followed ML instructions thoroughly.
Zoom, Half Shutter and or Focus Ring. Focus Ring by itself also.
Focus box intermittenty appears. mostly not.
Raw video recorded plays back in SloMo, With wave like screen updates.
Payback image has a wave and update the bottom of the screen, then the top of the LCD.
Ml Functions intermitent.
Canon system seems to work fine.

Walter Schulz

Don't reformat card in cam or you will loose ExFAT.
Just copy ML nightly contents to card, insert into cam and start firmware update.
Post results.

garymadison

Card reader used, tried ExFat with no format several times in camera. Same results.
Canon does not have write speed data for reference.
KomputerBay was sent Benchmark files.
They stated they had never senn speeds like this and suggested that
the card was corrupt, Bought Lexar, same result.

Walter Schulz

SloMo in replay is expected. Processor performance insufficient and nothing you can do about it.