Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Quote from: rick_ford55 on May 30, 2014, 10:53:17 AM
I am just using the 5d in normal mode with ML installed and I am unsure about the continuos recording mode ML offers.... I understand I can turn movie restart and when the 4gb buffer is reached the camera will restart..... Will the camera just do that itself? Are there any known issues with this, heat issues etc?

Note that while this is automatic, there would still be a approx 1 or less than 1 second gap between the 4gig clips. Heat issues is still the same as with stock firmware.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on April 28, 2014, 01:09:58 AM
It all depends on your CF card, I use a Lexar 1000x 64, 32GB. I found in Crop Mode to get the needed speed for continuous, Buffer fill rate "0"  78-79MB/s with audio,  In 1:1 "1" is ok unless you use a HDMI device then you need that write speed again .
Some of the cards like the komputerbay's are better at fill rate of "4" as per Ted's test on the first page of this thread.
Also on my one Sandisk Extreme 32GB 90MB/s works better at fill rate of "0".
On smaller frame sizes thou it may not make that much differences, so play a little bit with it  ;)

What's up with all the Failed Build links, I'm going into preproduction all June. Are the most stable builds for 5D 2 still Oct 24 for Raw and Feb 16 build for MLV?
Canon 5D Mark II

Kharak

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 30, 2014, 03:32:04 PM
Note that while this is automatic, there would still be a approx 1 or less than 1 second gap between the 4gig clips. Heat issues is still the same as with stock firmware.

I have to say that I have recorded tons of footage over the 4 gig limit and never experienced a gap between the 4 gigs. I thought I was seeing skipped frames at a time when watching <4 gig footage in MLRawViewer, but found out that it was only MLRV that jumped to the next file at every 4 gig mark. When merged and exported, there was nothing wrong with the footage.

once you go raw you never go back

jimmyD30

Hello, does anybody know if there is an update for this link: https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads/5D2_OSX_raw2dng_ProRes.zip

It's the 5D2_OSX_raw2dng_ProRes app download link from the old '5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit' thread, first post.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Kharak on June 03, 2014, 10:05:26 AM
I have to say that I have recorded tons of footage over the 4 gig limit and never experienced a gap between the 4 gigs. I thought I was seeing skipped frames at a time when watching <4 gig footage in MLRawViewer, but found out that it was only MLRV that jumped to the next file at every 4 gig mark. When merged and exported, there was nothing wrong with the footage.

rick_ford55 was inquiring about using it in "normal" mode so I assumed this meant h264. the 1 sec gap I implied to only applies to h264 footage via auto restart. No gap with raw.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

johnny5d

Hi all I can't view raw video or anything  in filemanager .. the window is black

jimmyD30

Did you remove the lens cap while shooting?

JK, couldn't resist ;-)

Little more info needed, which window is black? File manager while viewing a folder, the video while trying to play it, etc.?

johnny5d

Haha you are funny  ;D

When I hit play the screen goes black.

a1ex

jimmyD30

Sorry @johnny5D, my bad :-X

Listen, there's a lot of ML experts and of course the devs on this forum that love to help, but they need more info, like ML build version, shooting conditions/settings, logs, etc. and being human beings at times they get tired of repeating themselves about this kind of thing when someone asks for help, but as you can see at least @a1ex is having a little fun about it (I think and hope anyway :-)

I'm not an ML expert or dev, but I am a long-time software engineer and so can relate to this kind of thing.

johnny5d

Okay okay, I do understand that! Some times it's hard to explain things, even more when I don't know te best english to make the problem clear to you my friends.

Here is a video I made of the problem hope this is will light up more:

p.s. sorrie for the bad focus but I think you see the problem I get here.

a1ex

Load the mlv_play module.

You may want to get it from an older build, until somebody with pattern-matching skills (or tutorial-following skills) finds the missing stubs.

jimmyD30

Now why did I have a funny feeling it would be that simple ;-)

johnny5d

Thanks for your help... Jimmy why so sarcastic? Instead of been sarcastic your will achieve much more in life when you are willing to help others.

So to me, success means contributing my personal gifts in something that I really love in the best possible way, being of use for others and getting the appropriate reward for that.

a1ex

jimmyD30

@johnny5D

Yes, I was being sarcastic, but I didn't think I was being mean spirited, and that is how I go through life. As far as willing to help others, I'm a successful HS Mathematics Teacher, so I'm usually helping a lot of people most of the time (except in summer ;-) and I use sarcasm all the time in the classroom when it's kinda deserved. But I will admit the big difference is my students, after getting to know me of course, realize I'm not being mean, just making a point with a twist to it. It seems people remember those kind of lessons better than with just another boring lecture.

As I'm sure you will too now :D

Also, the sarcasm wasn't directed at you per se, it's just that many times beginner ML users do overlook basic stuff like loading modules and the solution ends up being very simple.

Sunny Alan

OMG !
Is it that lengthy and technical to install ML ?
Any easy and short way to it, please ?  :-[

a1ex

I would suggest something like this:

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 2.1.2.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

(though some people got stuck even with this)

poromaa

Hi 5D2 owners!

looks like we are left behind. As a frequent user of the nightlies, its sad to see that the 5D2 development has stopped. If it is as simple as a1ex say I want to make a try.

Has anyone already started finding the STUBS for 5D2 yet? If so, are you stuck, can I help?

If not, has anyone extracted the ROM1.BIN.strings and ROM1.BIN.dis from the 5D2?

I would really like to take a look at them to begin with.

Doyle4

What has happened to the 5Dmkii Scene? iv tried reading to why it has stopped but its a little confusing, miss A.D's builds and now the nightly's, wish i understood what it is they need..

swinxx

the last 5dmk3 1.2.3 nightly is also from 23th may??
it has never been such a break since i started with ml

1aurent

Hello,

I have disassembled the ROM file of my 5D2.212.

@poromaa: I've just opened the ROM1.bin file to find the missing stubs.

I have found FIO_SeekSkipFile at loc_ff9ab050 and (maybe) CancelDateTimer at ff874a74 and SetTimerAfter at ffa6da0c.

I will work on other stubs asap. Thanks Pelican for ROMs.

jad

Newbie here - I have just installed magic lantern on my 5D2 but I can't get the modules tab to appear in order to enable raw video recording. Everything else appears to work as described.
I think I have followed the relevant instructions: switch live view on (after setting to stills + movie and movie display), then click the trash can button to bring up magic lantern... but no modules tab shows up. I have tried reinstalling, loading most recent available build(from nightly) but still no modules.
I have attached a screen shot showing what is on my camera card, and a shot of the back of the camera tabs.
Any pointers much appreciated - I really installed this for the raw video.

nick.p

Quote from: jad on June 16, 2014, 12:13:48 AM

That's quite an old build (2012). You'll want to install one from the nightly builds. http://builds.magiclantern.fm