Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gzhjb

Hi Dean,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried a couple of latest version on my 5D2, including the newest one which is on the link:

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/5D2.212/458/artifact/platform/5D2.212/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.5D2212.zip

I couldn't find any resolution available under normal mode. I could see some combination of resolution available under 3x chopped mode, but that's not so practical for me as I rarely use wide lens. BTW, under 3x cropped mode, the back LCD display only showing no colour video, while the recorded raw file is with colours.

Could you please point me the where I might have overlooked?

If you need more information for diagnosing, please let me know. Thank you.

zzzxtreme

hi guys. I'm very interested in getting a 5d mkii.
someone posted in youtube where he can use split image focusing with his 70d magic zoom
since magic zoom is available for 5d mkii, does it also mean split image option is also available ?

thanks in advance !

Walter Schulz

Would you mind to share a link to said video?

OlRivrRat

@ Walter & RedDeerCity

It would appear (to Me anyway) as though Zzzxtreme is wanting to know if Magic Zoom is available on the 5D2.

What is so Diff' about just replying >

@ Zzzxtreme

If You are asking, if Magic Zoom is available on the 5D2, the answer is, Yes.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: OlRivrRat on May 18, 2019, 06:01:15 PM
It would appear (to Me anyway) as though Zzzxtreme is wanting to know if Magic Zoom is available on the 5D2.
No, he didn't ask this.
Quote from: zzzxtreme on May 17, 2019, 07:38:48 PM
since magic zoom is available for 5d mkii

That's his question
Quote from: zzzxtreme on May 17, 2019, 07:38:48 PM
does it also mean split image option is also available ?
and it doesn't make sense to me to ask here, therefore I asked for a link to the video he was talking about.

OlRivrRat

@Walter

Ooops > Sorry > Old Eyes & Old Brain & not enough Caffeine Yet Issues this morn' I guess ~

OlRivrRat

& in That Case >>

@ Zzzxtreme

If You are asking if Split Screen Focussing Within Magic Zoom is available on the 5D2 >

Just got a chance to check on My 5D2 & the answer is > Yes.

ORR ~ DeanB

Also @TWeIMC

Just checked 70D & it appears as though Split Screen Focussing Within Magic Zoom is Not available on 70D ~

ORR ~ DeanB

2blackbar

So, there is no lossless RAW recording on 5DII with any modules for ML ? Theres 14 bit and 10-12 experimental modules uncompressed RAW, or am i missing something ?

masc

Quote from: 2blackbar on May 26, 2019, 08:25:38 PM
So, there is no lossless RAW recording on 5DII with any modules for ML ? Theres 14 bit and 10-12 experimental modules uncompressed RAW, or am i missing something ?
Yes and yes.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

mlv play does not work on that branch, possibly other modules. I only used mlv_rec and crop_rec with that build.

Macke1

reddeercity

New update , I'm very close to having 4k Anamorphic (10bit raw 4064x590->4064x1770) @23.976fps coded to the crop_rec module , which is continuous (65MB/s write speed) on 1066x CF card
Here a quick test , from my back yard yesterday , MLV App -> to 10bit dng's ->import in to CS6 Adobe A.E. , grade with ACR ->export ProRes4444->upload to YouTube
To see the 4k stream watch on chrome

ZEEK

4K Anamorphic looks really great, congrats! I found this post after I sold the 5DII  :'( :'(
EOS M

berechiah

Hi everyone
Can I ask, I have an eos m

I totally love it.
But I have an oppurtunity to get a 5d mark 2 at a good price.

What is better or what in your opinion is a better camera

Should I get the 5d 2 or just stay with my eos m

masc

Both camera's have pro's and con's. Depends on what you like to do, which camera is better. I have both. Mostly I like the 5D2 more, but for playing the M is great with all the new stuff.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

What is better is very much a subjective matter. At least up to iso 800  :P. I just filmed comparisons with my eosm and 5D3 and I can say eosm holds up very, very well.
I guess it´s either a 4k cinema camera in your back pocket or a heavy tank in a bag ;).

Set up:
5D3 sigma 35mm arts f1.4
EOSM 22mm f2.0

Screen grabs from exports(filmed handhold, fast color corrected in Mlv App) anamorphic 2.39:1 4096x1716

5D3

EOSM

5D3

EOSM

5D3

EOSM

2blackbar

I have 5D II sitting in camerabag for over year, and im using canon M with speedbooster and RAW, i prefere canon M because its better in lowlight with speedbooster which means less noise.5D is nice for fullframe image(speedbooster on M gives about 88% of fullframe not 100%) but it doesnt record lossless raw, on 64GB card you can record 30 minutes of lossless with canon M, but on 5D there is only uncompressed RAW 10,12 and 14 so you can get 15 minutes on 64GB card , if Canon 5DII would have lossless raw i would reconsider using 5D more often.Also cards and accessories for 5D are more expensive than from canon M.
If You have M then consider speedbooster like viltrox before you decide on getting 5D.

masc

On the other side, Viltrox speedbooster has very bad picture quality for wide angle lenses. 5D2 is so much better here. And less noise on M? I can't tell that. The M produces less moiree when using 1x3 mode. In 3x3 the 5D2 is better.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

I agree with You, I dont have viltrox , i modified Sony NEX  booster mount to go with my M in 2014 but i do agree you can get corner softness with some lenses but some work OK, i have 35-70mm zoom that works fine , there is some shift of focus plane that looks like softness, in reality when you look from the top then focus plane is single straight line, but with speedbooster it shifts with some lenses and becames " )"  so when you hit infinity then middle is sharp but corners are actually over infinity thats why theyre soft, this is more and less visible depending on the lens and how its built, it just needs to match kinda OK with speedbooster lenses.
What i mean by less noise on M is that when i have f2.8 lens and i have to shoot at ISO 1600 on 5D then on M with the same lens and speedboster i can shoot at ISO800 and this gives me less noise.Also M with its cropmodes and speedboster eliminates soft corners issue , i believe canon 5D doesnt have as many cropmodes available ( 5x5 and 3x3)but i might be wrong.

masc

Yes, Viltrox produces this softness, and a lot of CAs.

ISO1600 on 5D2 looks not bad, in my tests more or less like ISO400 on M.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

nah, both 1600s on 5D and M look equally bad
By the way is this card good enough for 5D raw fullsensor 3:2 recording ? I know specs say its fine but sometimes reality is different.

berechiah

True I am quite picky but I think it is super quality

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ff0m3vib96v4w65/AACDBtjy54TVmW7JO3W9bXIca?dl=0

Here is a makeshift follow focus rig
I use the mount at the speedbooster to connect it

Its tiny and works perfectly with out having a bit rig

Bit I do love the eos m
Small and brilliant

Bit something is nice about having all the buttons on the 5d

2blackbar

not really IMO, touch screen control is faster than physical buttons and dials which feel clunky now on 5D after using M for so long.