Lightroom plugin cr2hdr v3.0 DEV (WIP)

Started by kichetof, March 18, 2014, 05:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Maybe you missed the fun: They are second (or third, didn't investigate) because a1ex (cr2hdr) and you (lr plug-in)  implemented a complete workflow with "RAW (from LR) -> App -> DNG (into LR)" prior to DxO Optics Pro 9.5. Yes, DxO Optics Pro is a lot more powerful but their statement is just wrong. So ... lawsuit, anyone?

Just kidding ...

Ciao
Walter

chris_overseas

My understanding is that the DNG files output by DxO are linear DNGs, i.e. they have been demosaiced. See section 4 here for details: http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/tutorials/optimize-your-workflow-dxo-optics-pro-9-and-adobe-lightroom

Linear DNG is still something of an improvement over TIFF (Adobe's Eric Chan discusses this here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/30148341) but I'm not sure that DxO's claims of a fully non-destructive workflow are legitimate. If you're going to sue over anything, that might be a good place to start ;)
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

kichetof

We're the future!  8)

This is a good point for us to be in advance!

kichetof

New GUI

Thanks Walter it's nice! (I wasn't able to unzip your file)

Download Source branch default and rename the folder like cr2hdr.lrplugin or what you want.

If everything seems good, I'll release the v3 in second week of june.

I disabled --same-levels option until I find a way to export all pictures before run cr2hdr

Enjoy!

With a preview, it's better :)

Danne

Just tried this one. Really nice work with the gui. wb settings in 20-bit and, shadow/highlight, soft film. Nice feature.
Thanks again

Danne

Thoughts that enters my mind on "arguments" and "additional arguments for 20-bit version".
Where can I get info on chromasmoothing(what the alternatives does), aliasmap and what it does and so on? Also about wb "additional arguments for 20-bit version"?.
I am thinking when placing cursor on top of each argument, a small explanationwindow appears with a very short information of the functionality? Maybe hard to implement? Maybe not wanted? Only a suggestion.
Love this tool
/D

kichetof

New Metadata

Quote from: kichetof on May 25, 2014, 12:48:45 AM
Download Source branch default and rename the folder like cr2hdr.lrplugin or what you want.

An update of your LR Catalog is needed, don't worry :)

@Danne, there are some tooltip to explain all theses options. You run the plugin on windows ?

Stedda

Metadata FTW! Nice work guys!
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Danne

Hi Kitchehof, I run it under mac os X mavericks. Searched but couldn,t find any tooltip. I could maybe help gathering a tooltip collection. Need to find all the information first though  :P

*didn,t notice the metadata-option. Nice one!

kichetof

Oh, I forgot something, if there are no Dual ISO, the log file go directly to the trash!

@Danne place the cursor on any radio button or check box and you'll have a tooltip :) works well on mac!

cr2hdr: a post processing tool for Dual ISO images

Last update: 30a5132 on 2014-05-07 10:34:25 UTC by a1ex:
cr2hdr: print a message when overwriting the output file

No input files.

GUI usage: drag some CR2 or DNG files over cr2hdr.exe.

Command-line usage: bin/cr2hdr20bit [OPTIONS] [FILES]

Shortcuts:
--fast          : disable most postprocessing steps (fast, but low quality)
                  (--mean23, --no-cs, --no-fullres, --no-alias-map, --no-stripe-fix, --no-bad-pix)

Interpolation methods:
--amaze-edge    : use a temporary demosaic step (AMaZE) followed by edge-directed interpolation (default)
--mean23        : average the nearest 2 or 3 pixels of the same color from the Bayer grid (faster)

Chroma smoothing:
--cs2x2         : apply 2x2 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased areas (default)
--cs3x3         : apply 3x3 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased areas
--cs5x5         : apply 5x5 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased areas
--no-cs         : disable chroma smoothing

Bad pixel handling:
--really-bad-pix: aggressive bad pixel fix, at the expense of detail and aliasing
--no-bad-pix    : disable bad pixel fixing (try it if you shoot stars)
--black-bad-pix : mark all bad pixels as black (for troubleshooting)

Highlight/shadow handling:
--soft-film=%f  : bake a soft-film curve to compress highlights and raise shadows by X EV
                  (if you use this option, you should also specify the white balance)

White balance:
--wb=graymax    : set AsShotNeutral by maximizing the number of gray pixels (default)
--wb=graymed    : set AsShotNeutral from the median of R-G and B-G
--wb=exif       : set AsShotNeutral from EXIF WB (not exactly working)
--wb=%f,%f,%f   : use custom RGB multipliers (default 2,1,2)

Other postprocessing steps:
--no-fullres    : disable full-resolution blending
--no-alias-map  : disable alias map, used to fix aliasing in deep shadows
--no-stripe-fix : disable horizontal stripe fix

Flicker handling:
--same-levels   : Adjust output white levels to keep the same overall exposure
                  for all frames passed in a single command line
                  (useful to avoid flicker - for video or panoramas)

DNG compression (requires Adobe DNG Converter):
--compress      : Lossless DNG compression
--compress-lossy: Lossy DNG compression (be careful, may destroy shadow detail)

Misc settings:
--skip-existing : Skip the conversion if the output file already exists
--embed-original: Embed (move) the original CR2 file in the output DNG. The original will be deleted.
                  You will be able to re-process the DNG with a different version or different conversion settings.
                  To recover the original: exiftool IMG_1234.DNG -OriginalRawFileData -b > IMG_1234.CR2
--embed-original-copy:
                  Similar to --embed-original, but without deleting the original.

Troubleshooting options:
--debug-blend   : save intermediate images used for blending:
    dark.dng        the low-ISO exposure, interpolated
    bright.dng      the high-ISO exposure, interpolated and darkened
    halfres.dng     half-resolution blending (low noise, high aliasing)
    fullres.dng     full-resolution blending (minimal aliasing, high noise)
    *_smooth.dng    images after chroma smoothing
--debug-black   : save intermediate images used for black level subtraction
--debug-amaze   : save AMaZE input and output
--debug-edge    : save debug info from edge-directed interpolation
--debug-alias   : save debug info about the alias map
--debug-rggb    : plot debug info for RGGB/BGGR autodetection (requires octave)
--debug-bddb    : plot debug info for bright/dark autodetection (requires octave)
--debug-wb      : show the vectorscope used for white balance (requires octave)
--iso-curve     : plot the curve fitting results for ISO and black offset (requires octave)
--mix-curve     : plot the curve used for half-res blending (requires octave)
--fullres-curve : plot the curve used for full-res blending (requires octave)

Danne

Oh man, you,re so right. Tooltip,s already there. This is so professionally made. Beautiful

Walter Schulz

LR bug or is it just me? Or Windows?

Mark picture -> open context menu -> Export -> Export ...
If LR plug-in "Dual ISO converter (cr2hdr)" was selected before it will come up and tooltips will be available. If not and I have to change to this one there will be no tooltips available. Same for Lightroom Presets "Export to DNG". Tooltips are available (Metadata -> Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy) if opened by default. After opening another plug-in and turning back to "Export to DNG" tooltips are gone.

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit german. LR 5.4 german/english.

Ciao
Walter

kichetof

New Metatada

I added ISO Range (like 100 - 800) :)

@a1ex do you have a trick to round ISO like Canon menu ? (especially for intermediate ISO like 320 or 640)

@Walter no "problem" for me (LR5.4 Mac 10.9.3) but sometimes I need to wait 1-2sec before that the tooltip displayed

Walter Schulz

Error in MLMetadataDefinitionFile.lua
   Line 114:          title = LOC "$$$/ML/Metadata/cr2hdrArgs=Executable",
   Line 132:          title = LOC "$$$/ML/Metadata/cr2hdrArgs=Active options",

Error in MLMetadataTagset.lua
   Line 52:             label = "Command line"
Missing LOC definition.

Ciao
Walter

kichetof

Eye of tiger! Fixed!

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 26, 2014, 08:22:36 PM
@a1ex: German language support, please!

Semi-overexposed = "Halb-überbelichtet"? Urks! "Scheinbare Überbelichtung"?
Deep shadow = "Tiefer Schatten"? ... naja ...
Dynamikbereich (src1), Dynamikbereich (src2) = "Quelle 1", "Quelle 2". No clue what's meant by that.

Other finetuning needed? Open to suggestions!

Ciao
Walter

Feel free to send a pull request, all translated files are updated with these LOC string ;)

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 26, 2014, 08:58:05 PM
Error in MLMetadataDefinitionFile.lua
   Line 114:          title = LOC "$$$/ML/Metadata/cr2hdrArgs=Executable", Fixed
   Line 132:          title = LOC "$$$/ML/Metadata/cr2hdrArgs=Active options", Fixed

Error in MLMetadataTagset.lua
   Line 52:             label = "Command line" Fixed
Missing LOC definition.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: kichetof on May 26, 2014, 09:05:18 PM
Eye of tiger!

Not so much. Notepad++ helps a lot.

Quote from: kichetof on May 26, 2014, 09:05:18 PM
Fixed!

Thanks! If you have too much time at hand:
Computer's decimal mark setting not used in LR's GUI.

Not sure about side effects here.
- Store metadata with dot all the time but use computer settings for GUI?
- Store metadata with computer settings for decimal mark? ... and opening a can of worms in post?

Ciao
Walter

kichetof

Walter Schulz

Will test it.

Next item: Lots of unlocalized strings in MLdialogs.lua. Tooltips and tabs captions and others. But keep strings like "--mean23" unlocalized, please!

Ciao
Walter

kichetof

Walter Schulz

Have tested it. Looks like it reads setting for decimal mark during export but only for "ISO difference". Doesn't affect pics converted before or pics handled on computers with different settings.
I'm not absolutely sure but I have reservations about this. Don't like the idea branding different decimal marks into metadata. "Mars Climate Orbiter" may not be our mission name but ...
If it is not possible to keep a unique data format in metadata I would like to ditch the idea.
If it is possible to use unique data formats and manipulate their appearance at LR runtime depending on system settings: Fine.

Ciao
Walter

kichetof

For ISO Difference do you obtain the right result? I set only for this setting just for the try ;)

I don't know how to display with system settings... Localization is always a mistake!
I've an idea but I need to know for each LR supported language who have dot or comma and replace depending of the language. It's not perfect but I think it can be done the job for 90% of users!

Read the last paragraph http://www.lua.org/pil/22.2.html ‽  :-X

kichetof

Tooltip localizable committed!

@Walter what's your settings in windows for your numbers? Because I found a lot a thing about thousand separator with comma, but alway a point for decimal. It's a german rules ?

I can set : DE (or maybe another)? replace dot by comma

Walter Schulz

Decimal marks worldwide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Hindu.E2.80.93Arabic_numeral_system
LR within W7 will read actual system setting for decimal mark at startup. Change the setting, startup LR -> Exposure numbers will show either dot comma (or any letter you tell Windows to use).
I suppose they are reading LOCALE_SDECIMAL via API.

And yes, it is working for ISO Difference. Works as intended, I'm afraid.

Will work on tooltips later.

Ciao
Walter

kichetof

Thanks for the informations! I hate commas for numbers, I always use dot. (Swiss french)

Great news if my trick works! I'll write a function to convert all number depending the system locale!

Walter Schulz

kichetof, before you do this may I ask *what* the results will be?
If you're changing metadata contents depending on system locale: Just don't!
If you're changing strings appearing in LR's UI depending on system locale and keeping metadata content consistent and independent from system settings: That's what we need!