Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanburger

can i download firmware 1.1.3 from someplace? 

i have 1.2.3 and want to run the 1.1.3 build.

i don't see an option to downgrade that far on the eos utility site. 

Markus

When recording standard h264 om mk3 123 and using my zacuto evf I get this black bar hiding a bit of the top of the frame. It disappears when recording raw and mlv. Anyone else experiencing this problem? I read that someone created a transperant cropmark bmp and got rid of it. Any other solutions?

beanburger

So I used EOSCard on a PC to prepare the card. Put latest nightly on it and BOOM. Works exactly as it should. I'm running ML 1.1.3 dated 03 Jan.

Hooray.

I worked out what was causing the problem:

Deleting the contents of the ML card (not formatting, just deleting) using finder on mac was making the card non-bootable for ML 1.1.3.

I have NO IDEA why that would happen.

It was made even more confusing due to that process working fine for 1.2.3 whenever I reverted back to it...

Again - no idea why it would remain bootable for 1.2.3 but not for 1.1.3 using the same process (deleting and replacing contents.... NOT formatting).

Walter thank you so much for your continued help.

i did all of the above and it still didn't install.  I also didn't reformat the card and still no install of 1.1.3 build.  i did notice on the eoscard it still said 1.2.3 stable version with a drop menu next to it but no 1.1.3 option.  i duno if that makes a difference or not but no matter how many times i tried, I wasn't able to install ML to my 5d3.  can anyone offer any suggestions?

Ben_

I'm taking the plunge.

Is 113 or 123 the one that most people prefer? I do use my 5D3 for commercial shots, which one of those do you find the most reliable? Does one of them have any certain advantages over the other? I record audio externally.

DeafEyeJedi

113. hands down. 123 for HDMI out (if needed) -- enough said!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

beanburger

i'm still trying to figure out how to put on 1.1.3  i followed all the instructions from an earlier thread to make the card bootable but still can't get the card to work.  can anyone help?

walter_schulz

Format card in cardreader, make card bootable (EOScard/Macboot) and copy extracted nightly contents (1.1.3) to card.

OS X: We had - at least - two incidents with OS X making a card non-bootable (on it's own). So check after copying and run Macboot again.

lexburch

So I just got a 5D MIII and my firmware says it's 1.2.3, but when I try to add in the ML software it tells me "Memory card requires firmware update" with and without the ML SD card inside, but it won't let me update. I tried reinstalling 1.2.3, even though that's what I originally had, but nothing is working with the ML card. Any suggestions?

walter_schulz

Sorry, unable to follow your description.
ML version used is?
You copied extracted nightly build contents to card?

komeet

QuoteWhen recording standard h264 om mk3 123 and using my zacuto evf I get this black bar hiding a bit of the top of the frame. It disappears when recording raw and mlv. Anyone else experiencing this problem? I read that someone created a transperant cropmark bmp and got rid of it. Any other solutions?

I have the same problem if I use an external monitor (hdmi out - no mirroring). Did you get rid of the problem?

On the other hand when I activate mirroring I noticed that the image is slidly cropped on the monitor in comparison to the lcd screen or the final recording. I remember that someone had the same problem but I can't find that post right now. Does anybody have the same issues?

I'm on 1.2.3.

slappy_g

[Long time lurker - first time poster.]

First, much respect and thanks to the talented ML team.  I tried searching for a few keywords but couldn't find any hits.

With the 1.2.3 ML build, I am finding that camera operations work fine (no shock), but I have a very concerning issue with lens AF and IS noises.  When using a 17-40L, a 24-105L and a 70-200L IS II, the AF operation is much louder and has a "sliding" noise, that sounds like pulse-width modulation (PWM) being applied to the AF drive.  Also, the IS sounds are much louder when it engages/disengages.  This is when operating through the viewfinder, with default settings in ML.

I have done several rollback tests to Stock firmware and ML, and it is 100% reproducible, and it is alarming that the motor drive sounds of the lenses is so different.  Trust me, this is not me hearing phantom noises, I even had my family members confirm it and they remarked that it was "much noisier" using ML.

I have since gone back to stock firmware, but any ideas on what would cause this, and if there is any log data I can capture to provide the team?  I can't imagine it's just me seeing this, unless most ML users are strict manual focusers.

a1ex

Can you record a video showing the problem? (stock firmware vs ML).

If the difference is clear, do the following tests:
1) start the camera by holding the SET button pressed at startup (this loads ML, but it's inactive)
2) if noise is fine after doing 1), start ML normally and turn off everything you can find in ML menu
3) if noise is fine after doing 2), start enabling things until you find the culprit.

Ohim

Hi there, i`m new to this ML , I just wanted to install the 5D Mark III 1.1.3 build but i can`t. What`s wrong with this ? Am i missing some files ?

In the builds download section i see this message :
You cannot use this package for first install.

To install ML, please upgrade to firmware 1.2.3.

The 1.1.3 firmware might be a little faster in RAW recording (not confirmed).

Now i`m confused , i`m suppose to upgrade firmaware or what ?

Files that i have from the latest build magiclantern-Nightly.2015Feb20.5D3113 are only the autoexec.bin and a ML folder. And i`m using the initiall 1.1.3 firmware that came with my camera.

dubzeebass

Quote from: Ohim on February 27, 2015, 01:47:45 PM
Hi there, i`m new to this ML , I just wanted to install the 5D Mark III 1.1.3 build but i can`t. What`s wrong with this ? Am i missing some files ?

In the builds download section i see this message :
Now i`m confused , i`m suppose to upgrade firmaware or what ?

Really????????????????

Ohim

I`m confused .. the build is there 1.1.3 and even has nightly from 2015 as opposed to 1.2.3 that has from 2014... but i can`t install it..

walter_schulz

You may read the bit about installation. The fun part is: You can't install 1.1.3 without installing 1.2.3

EDIT: A bit of advice. Upgrade Canon firmware to 1.2.3, install ML for firmware 1.2.3 and play around a bit. Will do just fine. Or do you have some real fast cards? 1000x or up needed for top performance (=a little bit higher resolution for continuous recording) with 1.1.3.
EDITEDIT: And there is not that much difference between 1.1.3 and 1.2.3 code.
1.2.3 doesn't take part in standard build procedure. 1.1.3 does. If there are changes in code for another cam a new 1.1.3 build will be generated. And if you look into version history you will have a hard time finding changes for 5D3.
1.2.3 build is triggered only if there is a cause.

Ohim

Thanks for the replies, i`ve figured it out in the end. Kinda weird that you can`t install 1.1.3 directly.

marekk

Hi
I'm trying to build 5D3 1.2.3 but I'm receiving this error:

../../src/debug.c: In function 'HijackFormatDialogBox':
../../src/debug.c:3546:68: error: expected ')' before 'FORMAT_BTN_NAME'
         dialog_set_property_str(dialog, 4, "Format card, keep ML " FORMAT_BTN_NAME);
                                                                    ^
../../src/debug.c:3548:70: error: expected ')' before 'FORMAT_BTN_NAME'
         dialog_set_property_str(dialog, 4, "Format card, remove ML " FORMAT_BTN_NAME);
                                                                      ^
../../src/debug.c: In function 'handle_keep_ml_after_format_toggle':
../../src/debug.c:3563:22: warning: comparison between pointer and integer [enabled by default]
     if (event->param == FORMAT_BTN && MENU_MODE && MEM(DIALOG_MnCardFormatBegin))
                      ^
../../src/debug.c:3563:22: warning: comparison with string literal results in unspecified behavior [-Waddress]
../../src/debug.c: In function 'CopyMLFilesBack_AfterFormat':
../../src/debug.c:3781:36: error: 'FORMAT_STR_LOC' undeclared (first use in this function)
             HijackCurrentDialogBox(FORMAT_STR_LOC, msg);
                                    ^
../../src/debug.c:3781:36: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make: *** [debug.o] Error 1

My last successful build was at the beginning of January. I didn't change anything with my compilers. I've found one conflict with src/bootflags.c in 5d3-123 branch but it's not related to this error.. Is there something new in ML?.. I'm using gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2013q4 . Should I upgrade something ?

dmilligan

FORMAT_BTN_NAME and FORMAT_STR_LOC are not defined (in consts.h). These were added when "restore after format" was fixed. I assume you can just use the same values as in 5D3.113.

dubzeebass

Are you compiling a later build for 1.2.3? If so can you share it?

DeafEyeJedi

@marekk:

That would be delicate of you to do so!

:)

marekk

dmiligan - thanks for the hint

#define FORMAT_BTN "[Q]"
#define STR_LOC 13

should be replaced with

#define FORMAT_BTN_NAME "[Q]"
#define FORMAT_BTN BGMT_Q
#define FORMAT_STR_LOC 13

Fresh ML for 5D3.123 with changes from fullres-silent-pics branch
http://goo.gl/nZvk5J

Modules:
deflick.mo   dual_iso.mo   file_man.mo   mlv_rec.mo   pic_view.mo   silent.mo
autoexpo.mo   dot_tune.mo   ettr.mo      mlv_play.mo   mlv_snd.mo   raw_rec.mo

INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @marekk!

Has anyone tried this yet?

Just need to update my 5D3 first from 113 to 123 before attempting to try this fresh build.

Definitely tempting though...

[emoji12]

optik

Seems to work but some text font issues seem to be their for some reason
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm F1.4, Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AI-s, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX, 2 Lexar 1000x 64GB, Kumputer Bay 1000x 64GB, FCPX, Nuke, Modo, AE,
DaVinci