Magic Lantern for 200D: Not Dead Yet edition

Started by names_are_hard, October 27, 2022, 12:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Quote from: diddlypockets on September 16, 2023, 11:17:34 AM
however the main reason why I wanted ML - record movies for more than 30 min - does not seem to be enabled. The Movie Menu of ML is empty (see picture).

There are 4 recording options:
1. H.264/MOV aka Canon's out-of-the-box internal recording.
2. ML's RAW/MLV
3. External via HDMI
4. External via USB
See
https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#how_do_i_record_stream_for_more_than_30_minutes

Option 2 is not available in this build and don't ask for a release date.

Quote from: diddlypockets on September 16, 2023, 11:17:34 AMHow would I install ML on other cards?
Copy extracted build content to card and run EOSutility as described above.

[
How do I uninstall ML to go back - follow the process of updating the firmware and waiting for 60 sec to uninstall or format card?

ML requires three things to run:
- cam with bootflag set (done by firmware "update" hijacked through BOOT200D.FIR)
- if flag is set cam will look for a bootable card. For 200D it requires an  additional programm like EOScard.
- file autoexec.bin in card root

To make a card non-bootable you can use cam' format menu. Press Q to remove boot option but keeping ML files. Or format in cardreader. This will delete ML files, too.

If you just delete ML files from a bootable card cam will get stuck with black screen and you have to remove battry to proceed.

Now cam's bootflag. Well, ATM there is no 60 seconds timeout option during install!
There is an utility by petabyte using USB connection to alter the flag. I used it several times with Linux and without problems. Windows version had a troubled start and I haven't tested fixed version yet.

Is the movie menu expected to remain blank?
Yes.

the posts above mentioned that this was a working feature.
I wonder where you got this.

diddlypockets

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 16, 2023, 11:57:12 AM

I wonder where you got this.

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 28, 2022, 07:32:54 PM
Current release is stable. Just lacking features.

Main use cases:
1) Webcam via HDMI. 30-minute timer can be disabled via ML menu
2) Cropmark overlays for liveview composition. Up to 9 can be stored on card and you can build your own customized cropmarks.

I read that and thought I could disable 30 min timer via ML menu.

Option 2 is not available in this build and don't ask for a release date.

ok, I wont :)

Copy extracted build content to card and run EOSutility as described above.

This did not work until I followed your instructions to rename the autoexec.bin and then started camera while pressing the set button.

Thank you for all the help and no doubt the hard work behind the scenes!

Walter Schulz

Renaming was for debugging and won't solve any issue with black screen.
Don't create myths.

names_are_hard

Thank you for doing the debugging dance, Walter.  I'll edit the first post to make it clearer it's HDMI out 30 min timer only.

diddlypockets

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 16, 2023, 12:38:09 PM
Renaming was for debugging and won't solve any issue with black screen.
Don't create myths.

ok boss! no intention of creating myths, just trying to figure out how to install ML.

I dont understand how would I create another ML card. I have tried the process with another card now -
1) Format card in the camera 2) change camera to M mode 3) remove card, extract ML to the root of the card, copy the BOOT200D FIR to the root of the card, use EOScard.exe to make the card Bootable 4) insert card into camera 5) get into menu, firmware update - results in Magic Lantern Rescue screen asking to remove battery 6) Remove battery, reinsert, restart, ML has not loaded, pressing trash can does nothing.

I will reiterate my appreciation to everyone who created the build and to Walter for helping me debug.

Walter Schulz

Start EOScard again .
Without other action but your card.selected:.Are both checkboxes activated? Is autoexec.bin still present on card root?

Walter Schulz

Funny! Are you able to run a checksum program for autoexec.bin? MD5, CRC32 or else?

diddlypockets

Sorry late reply. Priority to Work that pays the bills :)

C:\somepath.where.ML.is.extracted>certutil -hashfile autoexec.bin MD5
MD5 hash of autoexec.bin:
c62ebcd2e8281610e1e53fa64ecb4e4a
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.

Walter Schulz

May I ask for checksum of card's autoexec.bin?

kitor

Thing is: if that was a checksum problem, camera wouldn't work (either black screen or a crash) as it would still load the (broken) binary.

With that problematic card (after preparation, and with ML files on it) - do you see any activity from card access LED immediately after turning the camera on?
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

diddlypockets

First card, which worked after renaming autoexec to debug
D:\>certutil -hashfile autoexec.bin MD5

second card
D:\>certutil -hashfile autoexec.bin MD5

diddlypockets

Quote from: kitor on September 18, 2023, 09:16:04 PM
Thing is: if that was a checksum problem, camera wouldn't work (either black screen or a crash) as it would still load the (broken) binary.

With that problematic card (after preparation, and with ML files on it) - do you see any activity from card access LED immediately after turning the camera on?

The behaviour I saw with the current problematic card is how it was with the other card too. for sake of clarity in discussing lets call the previous card 64gb (which worked after renaming autoexec) and the second card as 32gb (because that is the capacity of the cards).

So 64gb card-
Format card, Camera in M mode, remove card, extract ML to the card, copy BOOT FIR, EOScard updates card to bootable, insert card into camera, run firmware update, ML Rescue screen asking to remove battery, battery removed, card removed, on computer - update autoexec file name on the card, insert card back to camera, camera does not appear to start, press SET and start, camera starts, rename autoexec on computer, reinsert card, start camera, ML loads on pressing trash can button.

32gb card -
Format card, camera in M mode, remove card, extract ML to the card, copy BOOT FIR, EOS card updates card to bootable, insert card into camera, run firmware updaate, ML Rescue screen asking to remove battery, battery removed and reinserted, camera started, ML did not load.

I removed 32gb card, inserted 64gb card, used camera on the weekend.

After Kitor's message just now, inserted 32gb card, LED shows long blink and one bleep after closing compartment. Started camera, LED showed one long blink and then rapid blinks more than 4 (couldnt count, probably 5 or 6). however this time, pressing trash can button loads ML.

wonder if Camera has a cache or something that is taking time to clear.

Trying the whole process again with 32gb card.

diddlypockets

Now this might have been obvious to folks, it was not to me and I found it when I was retrying the whole process again.

With 32gd card -
1) Formatted the card in the camera
2) Not sure if this formats the boot flag so Quick Format it with the computer.
3) Extract ML and copy the extract + Boot fir file to the card
4) EOScard to update EOS Dev and boot flag on the card
5) insert card in the camera, start the camera
6) Try to update firmware, the camera says battery is too low to update (Previously at this step, after firmware update, I would get message about Magic Lantern Rescue and to remove the battery)
7) Exit Menu... groaning that I need to charge the battery before I try this again, I press the trash can button
8 ) and ML Loads!!

Ofcourse thinking about it it makes sense. The BOOT fir file only flips the boot flag on the camera, this has already happened. so from the second card onwards, I dont need the BOOT fir file or the firmware update process. I only need the card as bootable and ML on the card.

names_are_hard

Quote from: diddlypockets on September 18, 2023, 09:41:57 PM
wonder if Camera has a cache or something that is taking time to clear.

No, it doesn't.  And yes, you only need to run the FIR once to enable the bootflag on cam.