Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tron

Give me some time to search again since I have it for some time. I believe though it was in the silent pictures thread.
I will come back.

In the mean time plz read this

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.msg129721#msg129721

EDIT: I cannot find them! I have found this instead:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12608.msg129663#msg129663

//  Builds removed.  These builds should have been used for development related feedback, not just being able to try new (experimental/dangerous) features.  Audionut.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:41:59 AM by Audionut »

gabesosa

Hello

I know this has been asked before - however after extensive searching I just cant seem to find an answer - or I don't understand any answer that I've read.

The 1.2.3 Nightly build hasn't updated since August 2014 - however the 1.1.3 Build is updated as of January this year.

Are there any plans to create a more recent 1.2.3 build?

I've tried reverting to 1.1.3 and then using a 1.1.3. nightly but they don't contain any .fir so I can't use them.

Is my answer just to wait for a new 1.2.3 nightly?

Many thanks and all help appreciated.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: gabesosa on January 06, 2015, 07:09:04 PMAre there any plans to create a more recent 1.2.3 build?

Yes

Quote from: gabesosa on January 06, 2015, 07:09:04 PMI've tried reverting to 1.1.3 and then using a 1.1.3. nightly but they don't contain any .fir so I can't use them.

Install Canon's firmware 1.2.3. Use Nightly Build for 1.2.3 to set cam's bootflag and make the card bootable. Downgrade to Canon's firmware 1.1.3. Delete ML folder and Autoexec.bin from card and copy extracted "ML for 1.1.3" to card.
Done. You are running ML for 1.1.3

Quote from: gabesosa on January 06, 2015, 07:09:04 PMIs my answer just to wait for a new 1.2.3 nightly?

42!

gabesosa

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 06, 2015, 07:23:44 PM
Install Canon's firmware 1.2.3. Use Nightly Build for 1.2.3 to set cam's bootflag and make the card bootable. Downgrade to Canon's firmware 1.1.3. Delete ML folder and Autoexec.bin from card and copy extracted "ML for 1.1.3" to card.

Really clear! Thank you!

gabesosa

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 06, 2015, 07:23:44 PM

Gah!

I'm sorry but this bit just doesn't seem to work. When I Downgrade to Canon's firmware 1.1.3 it resets the bootflag on the camera. It boots nothing from the 1.1.3 card.....

Walter Schulz

Canon's firmware update/downgrade won't affect cam's bootflag. Period.

Describe in detail what you have done. I suppose you formatted the card during the operation and made the card non bootable.
You may make the card bootable again by using EOScard.
Or do it right this time. Don't format the card after running 1.2.3 installation!

If you have a second card: Format it using a cardreader and use this one for Canon's firmware only.

gabesosa

Thank you for your patience.

Steps:

Have 1.2.3 ML running fine.
ML Card has autoexec.bin, ML folder and ML5D3123.FIR on it. Nothing else.
Remove ML Card
Have second card with Canon 1.1.3 on it because I don't want to mess with the bootable-ness of my ML Card.
Insert Card 2 with Canon 1.1.3 on it.
Update (backdate) firmware to 1.1.3.
Remove Card 2.
On my mac I delete contents of ML Card and replace with 1.1.3 nightly contents.
ML Card has autoexec.bin and ML folder only.
Camera boots. Doesn't load anything from card. Just plain vanilla 1.1.3.

Walter Schulz

Admit to be buffled right now ...
It *should* work but ...

gabesosa

Some thoughts:

What is of note is that when I have to revert back to 1.2.3 and use the ML5D3123.FIR to set the bootflag it does give me a message saying that the bootflag is already set. So you are absolutely right about Canon firmware changes not affecting the bootflag (I didn't doubt you anyway).

So the bootflag IS set on the camera.

The camera boots straight into vanilla Canon.

If there is a bootable card but no autoexec.bin then the camera would hang on startup.....

I removed the contents of my ML card. It doesnt hang.

Which means the the ML card is (for some reason) no longer a bootable card.

This MUST be it. (if my thinking is correct?)

I'll work on it.

walter_schulz

Yes, but you are right and wrong.
The part wrong is: Running the installation process your card will be made bootable.
Q: "Removing" ML parts as in deleting AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML directory or as in formatting the card using a cardreader. Second one will render the card non bootable.

gabesosa

Whats confusing is that I haven't formatted the card at any time. Just deleted contents using mac finder window.

I'm going to download EOSCard/Macboot and check the card/change the card.

Just to confirm:

I have Canon 1.1.3.
I have bootflag set (it MUST be).

Then ALL I need is a working bootable card with ML 1.1.3 nightly on it....

walter_schulz

Yes, absolutely correct!

Cam with bootflag set will look for a bootable card.
If bootable card is found AUTOEXEC.BIN will be loaded (or cam will get stuck if file is absent).
ML directory holds config data and some other stuff.

gabesosa

SOLVED!

So I used EOSCard on a PC to prepare the card. Put latest nightly on it and BOOM. Works exactly as it should. I'm running ML 1.1.3 dated 03 Jan.

Hooray.

I worked out what was causing the problem:

Deleting the contents of the ML card (not formatting, just deleting) using finder on mac was making the card non-bootable for ML 1.1.3.

I have NO IDEA why that would happen.

It was made even more confusing due to that process working fine for 1.2.3 whenever I reverted back to it...

Again - no idea why it would remain bootable for 1.2.3 but not for 1.1.3 using the same process (deleting and replacing contents.... NOT formatting).

Walter thank you so much for your continued help.

walter_schulz

And I thought I was living on a funny farm sponsored by MS. Not the only sponsor, I suppose.

Glad to read you sorted it out!

silenthunter

And is it any worth of downgrading FW for using last ML?

chris_overseas

Quote from: silenthunter on January 11, 2015, 10:03:10 AM
And is it any worth of downgrading FW for using last ML?

What firmware version do you have currently? If you have 1.2.3 then you probably want to stay with the 1.2.3 version of MagicLantern. If you have a version newer than 1.2.3 I will send you a message to find out a bit more.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

silenthunter

I have recently bought mk3 and have 1.2.3 version, but I see that there is no update od ML since august 2014 and for 1.1.3 is updated a few day ago, that's why I'm asking, is it worth to downgrade to 1.1.3 and install latest ML or no?

rpt

Going from 1.2.3 to 1.1.3, the significant loss in the Canon firmware will be the ability to auto focus at f/8.

silenthunter

Yes, but we all know what's new in Canon firmware (new vs old), but I was wondering is it worth to downgrade FW just to get using an updated version of ML, are there that much important and useful things?
To make it simple: should I (and everybody else) stick to 1.2.3 and ML from 2014y (and wait for newone) or it is better to downgrade FW and use a fresh new ML?

chris_overseas

I'd suggest sticking with 1.2.3. The two ML versions are almost the same, it's just that the 1.2.3 branch of the code hasn't been updated with the latest changes yet. There have been very few changes since August so you're not really going to be missing out on anything of note. The only benefits you'll get downgrading to 1.1.3 are slightly faster RAW video recording (makes 1080p continuous a bit easier to reach) and a few small things like fast zebras and full screen magic zoom (because their new register locations haven't been found on 1.2.3).
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

DeafEyeJedi

As previously said earlier -- I'm a happy swinger between 1.1.3 & 1.2.3 for the most part I prefer 1.1.3 only because of the slightly faster recording times for RAW/MLV which can also push the MB/s a little higher therefore chances of dropped frames can be slimmer.

Depending on the settings, obviously!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dude

And with 113 you have silent pictures, right?

DeafEyeJedi

correct. I miss having the FRSP for 1.2.3 though... I somehow misplaced it somewhere in my external drives and chances are that I may have accidentally deleted 'em.

So I only have the Sept 27th fixed version FRSP for 1.1.3 which works well (however, I'm still struggling to compile with the code that @a1ex made) in order to extend the shutter speed to 1/20-1/30th as oppose to the limited 1/15th.

I know, I'm an iDiot!

;D
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

phil7

4k recording on Eos 5d MArk III:

1 I cannot setup higher recording resolutions in the Magic lantern more than something like 1,5K. There are I saw up to 4 k resolutions but the software does not permit me to choose. Why? ( I have the latest available Magic lantern version of August 2014)

2. Ok I got the Atomos Shogun. How could I record RAW from Magic Lantern over HDMI directly in to the Shogun? Also combined with the hopefully positive answer of question 1 how could I record 4K thanks to Magic Lantern directly into the Shogun?

kgv5

1. There is no 4k recording on 5d3. THe highest really usable res is 2.5k in 2,35:1 aspect ratio (in crop mode). It is because of limitation in memory cars write speed. In full frame max is 1920x1280.
2. Camera doesnt output raw through hdmi, only uncompressed 4:2:2 8bit 1920x1080. Please do a little bit of reading the forum, especially pinned topics.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D