Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtoshima

hi all,

i haven't installed ML on mark III yet...i have a question before doing so. right now, i'm primarily interested in having it on camera for audio level feature, but don't necessarily want to shoot RAW. 

can i still shoot in factory 1080.24 format, while using audio levels from ML?

thanks.
goro

Walter Schulz

AleXis

colleagues, how to manage the 12 Gb barier for RAW writing?
Canon 5D MIII, FW 1.2.3, ML 07.08.2014  Lexar 64GB 1066x - formated in the camera
record stops at 12Gb (sometime at 4 or 8GB) with the question "Is it real exFAT card?"
thank you

lintoni

Quote from: AleXis on October 30, 2014, 07:55:28 PM
colleagues, how to manage the 12 Gb barier for RAW writing?
Canon 5D MIII, FW 1.2.3, ML 07.08.2014  Lexar 64GB 1066x - formated in the camera
record stops at 12Gb with the question "Is it real exFAT card?"
thank you

Have you formatted the card as exFAT?

AleXis

how can I do it in the camera?
I tried  format card only in computer as exFAT - it doesn't help.
RAW ml video - has this problem
RAW video - works ok

DAP

Hi all, Apparently this is common knowledge so sorry for the noob question but I'm having some trouble benching my cf card in "playback mode" on my 5dm3 I have disabled live view in all my menus and still under mode in the benchmark utility it says movie
what am I doing wrong? or more to the point can someone please post a step by step including which setting should be set or not set to achieve this in camera and in ML? I have searched and searched and at best all I can find is directions to disable direct draw make sure your in playback mode etc with no clear direction on how to be in playback mode.

Thanks   

lintoni

Quote from: AleXis on October 30, 2014, 08:38:59 PM
how can I do it in the camera?
I tried  format card only in computer as exFAT - it doesn't help.
RAW ml video - has this problem
RAW video - works ok
I'm guessing that this isn't a 5D3 problem, ie camera specific, but has more to do with mlv, so have a look at the appropriate part of the forum, read the FAQ, use search to see if anybody has run into this and if you can't find your answer, THEN ask in the relevant place. Doing so will help to keep the mods in good humour. :)

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=49.0

Audionut

Quote from: DAP on October 30, 2014, 10:20:40 PM
make sure your in playback mode etc with no clear direction on how to be in playback mode.

Make sure the movie mode switch is in playback mode.  Which is the one next to the viewfinder, with the start/stop button in the middle.

DAP

Thanks Audionut, So if I'm reading you correctly make sure the mode switch is in stills mode? (white camera icon) I've tried that and in the bench utility it shows as mode:photo ?  not mode:playback is this a new naming convention with the new build ? I'm on canon firmware 1.2.3 with ML Aug 7 build I guess whats throwing me is that I am trying to have Mode: Playback show in the benchmark utility and I can only produce Mode:movie  or Mode:Photo

Thanks for your time ;)

a1ex

Playback is that mode where you review your pictures or videos.

vovkinson

I guess it's time to lock this thread for another month :)

DigitalVeil

Hi folks, this is my first post on these boards =)

I've only recently discovered Magic Lantern, and I'm still educating myself on all the things it can do.  I have yet to actually put it on a camera, but I'll be trying it out on my 700D over the weekend.  I have access to a 5D3 that I use when working with a particular crew, and with the 7D2 sporting 1080p60, I started wondering...

Because of the bandwidth of a CF, the 5D3 can shoot raw 1080p30, but from my understanding it can't handle any frame rate much higher than 30 when shooting raw.  But how about compressed footage?  Is it possible that the 5D3 could handle compressed h264 1080p60 at nearly the same bitrate as raw 1080p30?  Or is the Digic 5+ a bottleneck here?

Sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread, I did a fair bit of browsing to see if this was brought up but didn't find anything.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

vovkinson

DigitalVeil,

I'm not an expert but your posting here does not have anything to do with ML.
Sell your 5DIII and buy another 7DII  - problem solved! Woohoo!

DigitalVeil

QuoteDigitalVeil,

I'm not an expert but your posting here does not have anything to do with ML.
Sell your 5DIII and buy another 7DII  - problem solved! Woohoo!

Yes, I actually was asking about ML.  I guess I should re-phrase and simplify:

The 5DIII's CF slot allows write speeds fast enough to support recording raw 1080p30.  ML lets you take advantage of this by giving you the option to record raw 1080p30 instead of compressed h264, as long as your card is fast enough.  ML also gives you full control over frame rate and bit rate.  Because of this, wouldn't ML enable the 5DIII to theoretically be able to shoot 1080p60 in the default h264 compression with a bit rate around 90MB/s?

Also, the 5DIII isn't mine to sell.  It's collectively owned by a small crew/studio that I work with sometimes, and I'm trying to convince them to try ML on the camera.  1080p60 is something we'd love to have, even if compressed. I'll eventually get my own 7DII after putting aside enough cash for one, but I'd still rather shoot 60fps on a full frame than cropped frame!
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

DigitalVeil

Quotehttp://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5472.0;topicseen

Thanks, but I'm not interested in raw 720p60. I'm interested in compressed 1080p60, and whether or not that's even a possibility on the 5D3.

dmilligan

Quote from: DigitalVeil on November 01, 2014, 07:15:11 AM
I'm interested in compressed 1080p60, and whether or not that's even a possibility on the 5D3.
No, it's not

DeafEyeJedi

If 1080p/60 is important then perhaps look into the upcoming c100 mark II...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DigitalVeil

DeafEyeJedi

I just randomly decided today to downgrade back to 1.1.3 (which was easy to do) then I ran into realization that there isn't alpha build 1.1.3 enlisted under Downloads anymore... is there a reason for this to be taken off?

I still have the Alpha build saved on my macbook BUT it just keeps saying Data not found please install all ML files. I know I did this repeatedly but still no luck. However, I also read on the Downloads page that it also mentioned to upgrade to 1.2.3 first before installing 1.1.3 (not sure what this means) but I am currently upgrading back to 1.2.3 after successfully downgrading to 1.1.3 (but no luck with ML installation)...

anyone else out there experiencing similar situation as I am?   :-\

IMO -- its fine using ML on 1.2.3 but after resaerching the forums apparently its a bit faster shooting RAW on 1.1.3 as oppose to 1.2.3 thus the reason why I decided to downgrade to 1.1.3 just to do this test BUT again it may not be worth the hassle since 1.2.3 works just as flawlessly other than RAW_TWK.MO module that would NOT work on 1.2.3 (assuming it only works on 1.1.3) correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Perhaps it may be best to stick with 1.2.3 ML until further updates...

THANKS!

SJ

Tin_28

Hey all,

Long time reader, first time poster here. I updated my firmware to 1.2.3 today and used the most recent nightly build as my source of Magic Lantern. I noticed a problem in LiveView that when half pressed, the Canon exposure overlay on the bottom keeps popping up on top of the Magic Lantern overlay. Anything I can do to remedy this?

Normal: http://i.imgur.com/vcWrFPY.jpg?1
Half-Pressed: http://i.imgur.com/POZQGvV.jpg?1

I've been looking through the forums and my camera all evening not sure what to change so any help would be very much appreciated!
5DIII, 7D; Sigma 10mm ƒ/2.8, Canon 16-35mm ƒ/2.8 II, Canon 35mm ƒ/1.4, Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 II, Canon 60mm ƒ/2.8, Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8 II, Sigma 120-300 ƒ/2.8

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 02, 2014, 08:03:14 PM
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/

Thanks @Walter Schulz -- however whenever I try to install ML 1.1.3 after successfully downgrading from 1.2.3 to 1.1.3 it still says ML DAT FONTS retry despite the fact that I compiled the ML folder from the Jenkins site directly unless I'm missing something?

Only reason why I want to do this is because I want to do another benchmark testing with the new KB 128gb 1066x (which disappointed me with the results on 1.2.3 but hoping that it would be slightly faster on 1.1.3 with its reading speed. I was getting avg of 92.4 write/121.2 read which is not even close to their advertising of 160/150MB's

Anyone else experiencing similar effects with KB 128gb 1066x?

UPDATE***
I ran Macboot Command (its been awhile since Ive been on 1.2.3 up until then) through terminal and set the DSLR bootable which did the trick now that ML is working on 1.1.3 (My fault on that guys!)

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 08, 2014, 08:21:36 AM
Compiled? You're sure not to confuse "download and extract" with "compiling the sources to get binaries"? And if you really compiled: Why?

Not sure why but I just figured since I remember I had to use Macboot Command to make the 5D3 bootable on 1.1.3 so I did that and now ML is running fine and currently benchmarking the KB 128gb 1066x to see if the Write/Read speeds are similar or not...

I didn't mean to be absurd by labeling it averages -- guess I assumed that it would be polite to post the 'average' rather than posting screenshots of my BM's but since you mentioned that no one else has ever used this terminology so my apologies for that confusion.

In fact it is showing slightly higher numbers on both the Write/Read speeds as I type...

I am already aware of the fact that the CF card slot had a bottleneck of about 120/mb write speed which was why I was kind of perplexed by the fact that the KB 128gb 1066x I have in my hand may be a defective one... will run some more tests before I make a final decision.

I believe there is another thread where I can post screenshots since it would be a violation of the policy if I were to post them on this particular thread.

Thanks for your feedback @Walter Schulz