Getting started with development

Started by a1ex, June 07, 2012, 12:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompeiisneaks

Not sure I follow.  I tried both the arm-elf-gcc and the arm-none-eabi-gcc and neither builds, both fail with similar errors.  Is it my os that's causing this?  Too old of libs or something?

1%

Maybe, look at requirements for TCC or try to compile without it and see if there are errors.

pompeiisneaks

Sorry, everything I find on this forum about the Tiny C Compiler is not helpful, I tried disabling it and it still fails to build with this error:

[ CC       ]   menuindex.o
[ CC       ]   focus.o
[ CC       ]   notify_box.o
[ CC       ]   dialog_test.o
[ CC       ]   vram.o
[ CC       ]   aj_port.o
[ CC       ]   fps-engio.o
[ CC       ]   shoot.o
../../src/shoot.c:519:60: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
../../src/shoot.c:519:1: error: initializer element is not constant
../../src/shoot.c:521:53: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
../../src/shoot.c:521:1: error: initializer element is not constant
make[1]: *** [shoot.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pdavis/src/magiclantern/magic-lantern/platform/5D3.113'
make: *** [5D3] Error 2

Why would the arm linker complaining about eabi mismatches have anything to do with the tiny c compiler?

pompeiisneaks

Okay I'm pretty sure its just due to how old this machine's Fedora is.  I'll figure something else out.  Right now its failing to compile the docq target due to missing pandoc which isn't available in fedora until 18.  I'm on like 11 or 13, sorry its an old host I had sitting around as my router I figured I could dual purpose.  I'll give it a go on a more modern OS.

~Phil

pompeiisneaks

Well look at that, I can build 5D3 now on my fedora 19 laptop.  It fails with the 60D when I just try and build all, but success with my camera at any rate.  Oddly trying to build the arm toolkit from source fails due to texinfo 5.0 on fedora not being happy with the docs.  I did some reading on how to fix it on a linux from scratch thread but gave up after an hour of mucking about and not getting the right lines fixed.  (I have no idea how to fix texinfo files.)  At any rate, I'm down that road now, thanks!

~Phil

1%

QuoteWhy would the arm linker complaining about eabi mismatches have anything to do with the tiny c compiler?

Why? Because its a lot of PI code going into the binary and thats where it failed. Either way probably like you said, old libs, old gcc.

pompeiisneaks

Yup, thanks, I appreciate your help.

~Phil

Scoutman

Hi!

I always get this error:

username@ubuntu:~/daten/ml/magic-lantern/platform/50D.109$ make clean && make
[ RM ]  *.o *.d autoexec autoexec.bin magiclantern magiclantern.bin
[ RM ]  50D_109.sym magiclantern.sym
[ RM ]  magiclantern.bin autoexec autoexec.map location.map
[ RM ]  autoexec-fir autoexec-fir.bin
[ RM ]  magiclantern.lds
[ RM ]  newlib-libc.a lib_a-setjmp.o lib_a-memcpy.o lib_a-memcpy-stub.o lib_a-memccpy.o lib_a-memset.o  dietlibc.a
[ RM ]  version.c version.bin
[ RM dir ]  zip
[ RM ]  *.zip
[ VERSION  ]   ../../platform/50D.109/version.bin
[ CPP      ]   magiclantern.lds
/bin/sh: 1: /home/username/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2012q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3: Permission denied
make: *** [magiclantern.lds] Error 1

I use Ubutuntu 12.04 and gcc 4.7.3. I have tried to use sudo but it didn't helped. All files have the same owner/group. I didn't understand the "Permission denied"!?

Any idea?  :)

Marsu42

Quote from: Scoutman on February 02, 2014, 06:48:44 PM
/bin/sh: 1: /home/username/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2012q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3: Permission denied

Your gcc file doesn't seem to be executable, try "chmod 755 /home/username/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2012q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3"

Scoutman

Thanks.

Now I get this error??

[ RM ]  magiclantern.lds
[ RM ]  newlib-libc.a lib_a-setjmp.o lib_a-memcpy.o lib_a-memcpy-stub.o lib_a-memccpy.o lib_a-memset.o  dietlibc.a
[ RM dir ]  zip
[ RM ]  *.zip
/bin/sh: 1: /home/username/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2012q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3: not found

Marsu42

Quote from: Scoutman on February 02, 2014, 07:39:46 PM
Now I get this error??

Omg, you're 100% sure "/home/username/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2012q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3" exists, has the correct usership and permissions? Try to view it in less to be sure, you should be getting a binary elf file.

Pelican

Is there an easy way to make minimalist autoexec.bin and put more and more stuff into it if everything is OK?
I mean I've made an autoexec.bin for 7D 2.0.5 but it's freezing so how can I start to check what's wrong with it?
(https://bitbucket.org/Pelican/7d.205/commits/all)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

nanomad

Well, most of ML features are defined inside all-features.h. I'd start by undefining them all then working my way up
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

You can go even earlier in the boot process, boot-hack.c, simply do nothing from my_big_init_task. If you do that, you'll only have the GUI task overriden.

If you still have problems, comment out the GUI task too; if not, start enabling stuff from my_big_init_task.

Pelican

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

CraigularB

Quote from: Marsu42 on February 02, 2014, 08:48:24 PM
Omg, you're 100% sure "/home/username/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2012q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3" exists, has the correct usership and permissions? Try to view it in less to be sure, you should be getting a binary elf file.

Quote from: Scoutman on February 02, 2014, 07:39:46 PM
Thanks.

Now I get this error??

[ RM ]  magiclantern.lds
[ RM dir ]  zip
[ RM ]  *.zip
/bin/sh: 1: /home/username/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2012q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3: not found

I know these are old, but I hit the same issue tonight on a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit LTS. It has to do with running a 32-bit app on a 64-bit machine. I could see the files in the folder, I could run 'ls' and have it return the files, but trying to run any of them would result in bash saying it didn't exist. If you reinstall the 32-bit libs it fixes it:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libc6-i386

This comes from an old bug that was supposedly fixed: Launchpad bug report

On an older version of Ubuntu you may also be able to do sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

per this Superuser question but I can't verify that.

Hope this helps anybody who may be stumped.

Rewind

dslrrookie2

Quote from: Rewind on June 12, 2014, 04:03:02 PM
Guys, what am I doing wrong?

I had the same issue ... resolved by installing docutils

Also, I had to run Make for the platform builds prior to building modules.

http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-main-i386/python-docutils_0.8.1-4ubuntu1_all.deb.html

Rewind

stoopkid

I get this error...

nick@nick-mint ~/magic-lantern/platform/550D.109 $ make clean && make
[ RM ]  550D_109.sym magiclantern.sym
[ RM ]  magiclantern.lds
[ RM ]  dietlibc.a newlib-libc.a newlib-libm.a gcc-libgcc.a
[ RM dir ]  zip
[ RM ]  *.zip
[ VERSION  ]   ../../platform/550D.109/version.bin
/bin/sh: /home/nick/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2014q2/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.8.4: No such file or directory

However the file is there and executable...

nick@nick-mint ~/magic-lantern/platform/550D.109 $  ls -l /home/nick/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2014q2/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.8.4
-rwxr-xr-x 2 nick nick 676756 Jun  8 12:12 /home/nick/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2014q2/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.8.4

I don't really know how to troubleshoot this any further.

ayshih

It sounds like you may be having the same 32-bit/64-bit issue discussed earlier in this thread.  See the solution a few posts above yours: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.msg112954#msg112954
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

stoopkid

dpjpandone

I'm trying to use the prebuilt at work and when I try to launch the Magic Lantern machine,  I keep getting this:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MagicLantern.

The virtual machine 'MagicLantern' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Machine
Interface: IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}

philmoz

Quote from: dpjpandone on August 11, 2014, 05:40:48 PM
I'm trying to use the prebuilt at work and when I try to launch the Magic Lantern machine,  I keep getting this:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MagicLantern.

The virtual machine 'MagicLantern' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Machine
Interface: IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}

On Windows, any error code ending in 005, is usually a permission problem (access denied).

The machine may be locked down preventing VirtualBox (or whatever hypervisor you are using) from gaining enough access to the hardware.

Have you tried running it as administrator?

Phil.

dpjpandone

yes phil, I right click on virtual box and select "run as administrator" any other hints?