Compiling Magic Lantern on Windows 10 (using its Linux subsystem)

Started by g3gg0, August 06, 2017, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank7D

Thanks. So I did that and it said it was already installed.
I still get the error message about module_strings.h when trying to compile.
However, I am using Ubuntu. Is that the issue?

names_are_hard

I don't know.  Is rst2html in your path?  You will see that error if it isn't.

What does this show you?
which rst2html

names_are_hard

Frank7D

#!/usr/bin/python3

# $Id: rst2html.py 4564 2006-05-21 20:44:42Z wiemann $
# Author: David Goodger <[email protected]>
# Copyright: This module has been placed in the public domain.

"""
A minimal front end to the Docutils Publisher, producing HTML.
"""

names_are_hard

Looks sensible enough then.  Which repo is it you're trying to build?

Frank7D

Sorry, my understanding of the terminology ("repo") is poor. I downloaded magic-lantern unified from https://foss.heptapod.net
Also I downloaded Danne's repository.
In neither one can I compile anything I've tried so far (like "mlv_rec")
Also, I made a "hello" module in magic-lantern following a1ex's guide which also didn't compile with the same error.
Actually, when I manually created a "module_strings.h" I was able to compile "hello" and it actually seemed to work when loaded in my camera, but without the notes about author and so forth.

names_are_hard

I see.  Those repos are old (or, for Danne's, based on old code) and don't expect to use python3 at all.  That's why they're not using the rst2html you have installed.  Almost certainly the linux you're using is much too modern for them to build successfully.  There will be other problems, I couldn't recommend that combination at all, you might encounter serious bugs.

Obvious choices:
- don't use these old repos
- downgrade your linux to about 2016 era, that may build it
- use my repo, it builds on modern systems (but is largely untested on your cam and may not have features you want)

Frank7D

Thanks! I will try using an older linux, since I am hoping to try out some of Danne's tweaks, and don't know enough to transfer them to another repo.
Incidentally, my main cam is 7D, but I just bought a 650D so I could try out real-time preview that bilal and Danne have been working on.

Walter Schulz

Frank7D

Hi Walter, no I just got a 650D so I could try to get some new features that bilal and Danne have been working on.

Walter Schulz

Crop mood is available for 650D. There is nothing in Bilal's repository not working on 650D, right?

Frank7D

Yes, and I have Bilal's version, but Danne's version has only been compiled for EOS M. (I actually don't have the camera yet to test, it's coming tomorrow)
Just for clarity, I didn't download Bilal's repo yet, just the build.

Frank7D

Installed Ubuntu 16.04 and now I can compile. Thanks so much for the help!

names_are_hard