Problem with my 60d

Started by lazypineapple, January 01, 2014, 09:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazypineapple

Problem with my 60d,

My 60d will not boot up. Red light comes on and stays on.
Nothing on rear screen. Nothing on top LCD Screen. Nothing in view finder.
I tried booting with no sd card. And no lens,, and in all modes. Same results.

Made a second sdcard with eoscard still same results.
When you install battery red light comes on stays on til I remove battery.
Same results all modes.

Tried autoexe blink test.
Red light does blink.

Tried autoexe to make error log.
It does not create error log on sd card
I cannot find any error log on sd card.

This all started after I remove sd card to copy photos. I did not turn camera off before removing card. So camera was still on when I went to reinsert sd card after copying photos. That's when the red light came on and stayed on.
And camera has not booted up since.

Thanks

lazypineapple

I been Jack'n with this camera for a few days now.
camera is dead, or seems dead except  when i use my bootable card. either the one i made with eoscard or the ML card i been using.
then the red-light will come of when battery is installed and stays on till you pull batt. off/on with does nothing.

Blink Autoexe make camera blink.
but the Log autoexe will not force a Log file to be written ,

is there a way or can someone write me an autoexe file to force a factory reload ?

RenatoPhoto

I think only Alex can do that and he is not around at the moment.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

tricksofgravity

I was having a similar problem with my 60D. I would put it in the card that had ML on it and nothing happened, wouldn't turn on. But if I took out the card and removed and put back in the battery it would turn on. But it would work with other SD cards, so I put the card into my computer (I have a mac) and opened up Disk Utility. From there I just erased all the data even though I deleted everything prior. That seemed to work. If you can find a way to format your card other than using the camera it might work. This also happened to me after I used the card to transfer some photos.

lazypineapple

I tried that's too. Different card, new card. NO card. Formatted by Mac. Formatted my PC. Formatted my another canon.
All screens are dead,  no err.  no nothing.
The only way to make Red light come on is with a bootable sd card. Other wise all is dead.

a1ex

Quote from: lazypineapple on January 01, 2014, 09:07:35 PM
I did not turn camera off before removing card.

This is unlikely to cause problems, because I do this all the time when developing.

So camera was still on when I went to reinsert sd card after copying photos. That's when the red light came on and stayed on.
And camera has not booted up since.

I'm kinda clueless. After you copied the photos, did you delete the ML files from the card? Did you safely remove the card?

Hypothesis: a corrupted filesystem could cause the camera to execute arbitrary code (and Canon code does contain routines that can be used for self-destruction). I can add a checksum to try to prevent this situation with future builds, but I'm not sure how to test it.

Can you send me the ROM*.BIN files from the ML/LOGS directory from the card? (send them via PM, don't post them in public)

lazypineapple

There are no files in the Logs folder.

I did not delete any files from sd card after copying.
Just popped it out , let Lightroom do it's importing.
The next day I notice sd card in my MacBook ( MB was closed and OFF) so I popped it out , stuck it in canon.  Light came on,,,,,,,,,that's it.

lazypineapple

I sent it back to Canon, for repair.

elenhinan

I have the exact same problem with my 1100d.

Since I plan to use it for astrophoto with peltier cooling, I've made rather huge modifications to it, removing casing, autofocus, mirror, prism, flash etc., basically leaving the sensor, shutter, mainboard, power and sd-card pcb. However, after doing each of these modifications, I've tested it with backyardeos to see that it worked, and it did. A week later I tried it again, I got same problem as mentioned above. Nothing happens when I insert battery when no sd card / blank sd card is inserted. If I insert an sd card with ML the red LED is stuck shining, but nothing else. Blinking autoexec work, logging (which doesn't list 1100d as compatible, tried it anyway) also blinks the LED.

Although I cannot rule out hardware damage considering what I've done to the camera, I kind of doubt it. I've worked with, designed and manufactured electronics before and I've tried to be careful.

Is it possible to find the source for the logging autoexec, and make this work with 1100d? Looked at the source of ML, but couldn't find the source for the diagnostic autoexecs. Or is it possible to reset nvram contents to default settings with an custom autoexec?

In no way do I think this is a ML problem, I just hope ML could be the solution.

lazypineapple

300.$$
I got it back from Canon...
Here's what they said,

Notes from your EOS 60D repair: Your product has been examined and it was found that the circuit board had shorted so that the power supply did not operate properly . The circuit board was replaced. Product functions were confirmed. 

franfreeman89

hi there.

Im also jumping in although this is an old post. I have a Canon 60D. I installed the magic lantern and it worked perfectly no problems for a week or so and now its started playing up when i take out the sd card to upload photos onto my computer. I turn the camera off, wait a minute and then take it out. As i do the red LED light always comes on and then goes off again. Then when i put the card back in the camera won't turn on. I have to do the take the battery out and put the sd card in and then put the battery in trick which makes it work fine no problems but i am worried that if i keep doing this and keep pushing it one day it just won't turn on.

has anyone else had this problem?
is there a way of avoiding it?
can i continue to do it fine, or should i stop and fix the problem?

As you guys have had this problem i thought you were the best to ask! thanks !