Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTSET123

Yeah...!!! I got it to work. The only different thing that I did was that I formatted in camera with Low Level and it worked!

1%

set one of the configs to autoload, don't just set bitrate.

bitrate and initqp will only give you CBR at one fixed quality, good i guess if your card can keep up. 40 is also 400Mbps target rate. if you really want to go the constant route set a qp between 5-15 and bit rate to 10

don't change bit rate for VBR as max bit rate and target have to match or you'll have to pull the battery (to be fixed once i figure out how to hard reboot the camera)

all you have to do is set autoload to on and pick a config (that you should have put in ml folder)

you can edit the with a text editor. hoping to be able to set all these in the camera at one point but they seem mia from the firmware and its like the encoder is a separate processor/core/etc. i only see the 2 parameters in memory

Quoteis the alpha ready? or are you saying when it is released?

this is where we're at. the only difference with alpha is that features that are gimpy or broken are turned off. i.e if you select alpha blend peaking or anamorphic on the most recent bin you'll see it bouncing, etc. for a release this would be missing option from the menu but i want to fix it since its working fairly well on 600D (i think LV or HD buffer is changing/refreshing and it not getting drawn fast enough or to the right buffer; but all 3 of us with 6D care or have even seen it)

gravitatemediagroup

@dube

I would agree that formatting IN CAMERA may solve some issues. I didn't go this route, but I can see why it would work.  Its what i was going to do initially but was told otherwise, either way, It still ended up working.

I have to leave for 20 min.  I'll be back to help to the best of my ability

DTSET123

Can someone confirm: Magic zoom - full screen not working properly or is it just my cam.

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: DTSET123 on January 26, 2013, 05:01:05 AM
Can someone confirm: Magic zoom - full screen not working properly or is it just my cam.

I would say it's NOT your camera
i'm sure there is a few things that still need some work

1%

that is a confirmed bug. it looks just like full screen zoom on 600d in crop mode.

something is wrong here:

EngDrvOut(0xc0f140e8, vram_hd.pitch - vram_lv.pitch);

or the offset of the HD buffer is wrong and that's why it drawn all squashed.

gravitatemediagroup

just did a test a 30 bit (roughly 125 mbs) and it looks pretty dang good
tomorrow I'm going to experiment with a extreme pro 95mbs card and see what happens

DTSET123

1% and Gravitatemediagroup thanks for help!

gravitatemediagroup

not sure how much help I really was, I think we all kind of helped each other
1% i'm sure was thinking 'why the hell can't they figure this out" lol

DTSET123

Im trying to understand best settings that my card can write. If I understand it right the idea is to record CBR at highest possible Bit Rate with lowest QP with autoload: on - right? Am I understanding this right? Also, I remember one of the guys saying that IPB may be better over All-I?

gravitatemediagroup

I think the very first post of this topic should include the steps like this

BEFORE YOU BEGIN, MAKE SURE FIRMWARE 1.1.2 IS INSTALLED

Step 1. Format SD card from the camera then Make SD card bootable with EOScard (delete anything it writes to SD)
(try formatting SD card from PC then EOScard if the rest of the steps have no results)

Step 2. Download 6D 112 fir and copy to SD card. (located in the first post of this topic)

Step 3. Download ML 2.3 - http://bitbucket.org/magiclantern/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-v2.3.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D.5D2.zip

Step 4. Download files for 6D from bitbucket - https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

Step 5. Add .bin to autoexec from THE bitbucket VERSION only, copy to SD (delete any other autoexec that didn't come from bit bucket)

Step 6. Copy/transfer all .INI files downloaded from bitbucket to ML folder from ML 2.3 (leave AUTOEXC PEAKING / HBR on root)

Step 7. Copy/transfer ML folder to ROOT folder on SD card.
(remove all the other .FIR files and the 6D .FIR file should be the only)

ROOT OF SD SHOULD CONTAIN THESE FILES AND LOOK LIKE THIS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ML FOLDER (put the .ini files from bitbucket here)
6d-112.fir
autoexec.bin (don't forget to add .bin)
autoexec.bin-EXT-HDR-6D
autoexec.bin Flashy Peaking
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this looks right, insert SD card to camera

Setp 8.  Install Firmware like any other firmware & DON'T do anything until you see the SUCCESS screen.

Step 9. Turn camera off and back on.

you will know it worked because you will see new items on the display
if it doesn't work the first time, try again, but don't try anything different

WHEN ALPHA IS RELEASED

1. copy canon firmware update to the card, run it. now your camera is at 1.1.2
2. copy 6dfir from this thread to the card
3. put camera in M mode and run the 6dfir just like you did with the canon one. it should give you the green screen and say ml is intalled, yada yada
4. take out the card; you're half way there

5. download ml 2.3 zip file and extract it to a folder on the desktop
6. copy ONLY ml folder from what you extracted and put it on the sd card
7. download bin from bitbucket, rename it to autoexec.bin
8. copy autoexec.bin named only autoexec.bin not autoexec.bin.someshitiwrote to the sd card
9. copy ini files to ML folder on sd card
10. run eoscard and select only boot flag and eos develop, hit save

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: DTSET123 on January 26, 2013, 06:19:20 AM
Im trying to understand best settings that my card can write. If I understand it right the idea is to record CBR at highest possible Bit Rate with lowest QP with autoload: on - right? Am I understanding this right? Also, I remember one of the guys saying that IPB may be better over All-I?

what card are you using?

DTSET123

SDHC Patriot LX Series 32gb

gravitatemediagroup

what speed is it

if you are going to be using ML for some high bit rate stuff
the only suggestion I can make,and they aren't cheap is sandisk extreme pro 95mbs

gravitatemediagroup

I'm still having an issue with ML where sometimes the camera won't turn on.

I'm guessing to use a different SD card with ML you have to start from scratch, and run the same process
with the new sd card?

ManixLiquid

For first install, use a simple SD/SDHC/CF card (32 GB or smaller). 64GB cards and larger will not work for first install (but you can use them with ML, see below).

If you use SD/SDHC/CF cards, you may simply repeat Step 2 on every card you would like to use Magic Lantern.

If you use SDXC cards, or if you prefer to skip the firmware update step and prepare all your cards from the PC, you may copy ML files on your card and make it bootable with a special utility: EOScard for Windows, MacBoot for Mac, or make_bootable.sh for Mac/Linux in command line.

Basically, you have to install ML on every SD card you want to use ML on. Just repeat all the steps on your new card.
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

sparedog

Am I correct in thinking that autoboot is not enabled on the 5d mark3 alpha and the 7d alpha. Why is it safe to use on the 6d?

a1ex

It's just as safe (or unsafe) as on the other cameras. It's normal to be a bit cautious when the camera body is more expensive (5D3), or when the boot process is quite different from what we already know (7D).

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on January 26, 2013, 04:09:27 AM
Step 1. Format SD with PC then Make SD card bootable with EOScard (delete anything it writes to SD)

I cannot get eoscard 1.32 to work, it starts to write then comes up with an error
Cannot create file Ï:\ML\README¨. The system cannot find the path specified.

should I select
Unified stable release v2.3
or
Ports in progress

nanomad

If you want to make the card bootable you only have to check the EOSDEVELOP, BOOTDISK and SCRIPT flags. (and then hit save)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

gravitatemediagroup

@sparedog
are you clicking refresh in top right corner to make sure it's located on your card
and there is no other cards inserted into your pc?

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on January 26, 2013, 05:31:53 PM
@sparedog
are you clicking refresh in top right corner to make sure it's located on your card
and there is no other cards inserted into your pc?
Quote from: nanomad on January 26, 2013, 05:26:02 PM
If you want to make the card bootable you only have to check the EOSDEVELOP, BOOTDISK and SCRIPT flags. (and then hit save)

Sadly I am doing both of these things, and no success. After I press save, Eoscard updates the message at the bottom of it´s window that says ¨write succesful¨, but ML still doesn´t come up on pressing erase (the dustbin/trashcan button right? lol)

On the ML Success! screen, which is green writing on black screen, In white writing in the bottom right hand corner, there is the following.
firmware 0
bootdisk-1
RAM_EXE -1
update  -1

What should this reed to know if the disk has succesfully been made bootable?

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: ManixLiquid on January 26, 2013, 02:14:46 PM
For first install, use a simple SD/SDHC/CF card (32 GB or smaller). 64GB cards and larger will not work for first install (but you can use them with ML, see below).

If you use SD/SDHC/CF cards, you may simply repeat Step 2 on every card you would like to use Magic Lantern.

If you use SDXC cards, or if you prefer to skip the firmware update step and prepare all your cards from the PC, you may copy ML files on your card and make it bootable with a special utility: EOScard for Windows, MacBoot for Mac, or make_bootable.sh for Mac/Linux in command line.

Basically, you have to install ML on every SD card you want to use ML on. Just repeat all the steps on your new card.

Tried this with a 32gig extreme pro, no luck

gravitatemediagroup

sparedog

you will turn camera off and on and you will then notice things look different

if it doesn't work, follow the steps exactly the same.  it took my about 10 times last night before the camera finally just "worked" out of nowhere.
don't lose hope yet

but start from scratch
are you formatting sd from camera or from PC?

sparedog

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on January 26, 2013, 05:52:40 PM
are you formatting sd from camera or from PC?
I formatted from pc on a slow format, then after in camera, but not low level. I will try again with a low level camera format.

To be honest I suspect it is eoscard, as it hangs when I try to close it. I´ll try re downloading it.

Your instructions were clear and easy to follow, and I get the green/black success screen everytime. its just making the card bootable that´s tripping me up.