Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravitatemediagroup

i'm going to charge my battery for a bit and see what happens.

when I ran EosCard It created a new (2nd) autoexec on the card?  I'm guessing it stays

I think this whole thing would be easier with a detailed step by step guide.  just not know to add a .bin on the end of autoexec can throw the whole thing off

1%

1 bin at a time.

not starting with card in is good (bootflag is set, card i bootable). take out the card and the battery. put back only the battery but close the card door. should start up now.

eoscard should not write any bin to your card.

the steps are the same as any other ML

gravitatemediagroup

nope, camera is dead

but it did, it took about 10 seconds to transfer files to SD, and then it created a new autoexec

DTSET123

EOScard did write some files. Im glad I checked

gravitatemediagroup

i'm thinking eoscard is what has F'd my camera

gravitatemediagroup

BACK ON!
JESUS CHRIST that was a close call

gravitatemediagroup

its kinda ODD that 2 people are having the exact same issue

we get get the "success" screen, and nothing after that.  and I would guarantee we are both following the steps exactly

1%

eoscard isn't supposed to be writing files just setting flag on the card. bin are the same as i run here. so i dunno what you did. it the same as setting up ml for any other camera.

I originally had trouble setting the boot flag in the camera and getting the fir to be recognized but that's it, no troubles since then.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

you jut need autoexec.bin (named autoexec.bin) from the repo and fir from this thread in place of the ones from 2.3. i dunno how to explain it any simpler :(

gravitatemediagroup

when I hit SAVE in EOS card it writes the ML files.
follow all the steps as earlier and replace autoex with the autoex from the 6d download page?

gravitatemediagroup

but it is writing files..the ML files

ManixLiquid

So if I understand correctly:

Firmware update.

Step 1. Make SD card bootable with EOScard (EOScard is not suppose to create bin file on SD Card)

Step 2. Download 6D 112 fir and copy to SD card.

Step 3. Download ML 2.3

Step 4. Download files from bitbucket

Step 5. Add .bin to autoexec from bitbucket and copy/transfer it to SD Card

Step 6. Copy/transfer all other files downloaded from bitbucket to ML folder from ML 2.3

Step 7. Copy/transfer ML folder to ROOT folder on SD card.

Step 8. Use EOScard to make boot flag with 6D 112 fir?

Step 9. Insert SD card in camera. Start camera. Press ERASE to start ML. Reboot. Done.

Is that right?

The only thing I'm not sure is 6d 112 fir as boot flag. What does that mean?
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

DTSET123

I give up! I will wait for Alpha. Thanks 1% for your help. Sorry if we where pain :)

gravitatemediagroup

I think you left out doing the firmware update?

fotojohni

Everyone involved here is awesome.  I only wish that I could help somehow.  I took my camera out in a snow storm at night last week and was amazed by the results.  Really a step above my 600d.  Plus with my 105mm f2.5 it was bokeh heaven.  I can't wait for the alpha to be released, magic lantern for the 5d mk ii was awesome to work with. 

I only wonder why the moire is still so present when it has been eliminated from the 5d mk 3.  I feel like integrating the electronic level with the video could be interesting too.  Trap Electronic level shutter?  And of course, if someone could write an app for the iphone (maybe that will be me) that works with video as a follow focus that would be unreal.

gravitatemediagroup

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DTSET123

gravitatemediagroup

Step 1. Format SD with PC then Make SD card bootable with EOScard (delete anything it writes to SD)

Step 2. Download 6D 112 fir and copy to SD card. (located at in the first post of this topic)

Step 3. Download ML 2.3

Step 4. Download files from bitbucket

Step 5. Add .bin to autoexec from THE bitbucket VERSION only, copy to SD

Step 6. Copy/transfer all other files downloaded from bitbucket to ML folder from ML 2.3 (leave AUTOEXC PEAKING / HBR on root)

Step 7. Copy/transfer ML folder to ROOT folder on SD card.

Setp 8.  Install Firmware like normal

Step 9. Turn camera off and back on.

you will know it worked because you will see new items on the display
if it doesn't work the first time, try again, but don't try anything different

ManixLiquid

gravita. What about the boot flag (6D 112 fir)? Just copy it to SD card and that's it?
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

1%

Heh, you'll have to do the same stuff to the alpha more or less.

1. copy canon firmware update to the card, run it. now your camera is at 1.1.2
2. copy 6dfir from this thread to the card
3. put camera in M mode and run the 6dfir just like you did with the canon one. it should give you the green screen and say ml is intalled, yada yada
4. take out the card; you're half way there

5. download ml 2.3 zip file and extract it to a folder on the desktop
6. copy ONLY ml folder from what you extracted and put it on the sd card
7. download bin from bitbucket, rename it to autoexec.bin
8. copy autoexec.bin named only autoexec.bin not autoexec.bin.someshitiwrote to the sd card
9. copy ini files to ML folder on sd card
10. run eoscard and select only boot flag and eos develop, hit save

Now it should run.

Here is where I see the problem (and why you crashed). Pel  updated newest eoscard to make it place ml 2.3 or some other bins to the root. Easier for some, PITA for others. You *could* just install 2.3 and overwrite autoexec.bin if you loaded the fir files already.

my older version of eoscard ONLY set the flag. the easy way to check is to see the size of autoexec.bin and compare to what you downloaded from bitbucket

mine looked like this http://vimeo.com/38964397  (at ~1:19) so i guess look for v1.2

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: ManixLiquid on January 26, 2013, 04:12:26 AM
gravita. What about the boot flag (6D 112 fir)? Just copy it to SD card and that's it?

yes
and leave it running obviously

i really think I got lucky
ML wasn't loading after I installed the firmware
while leaving the firmware installed
i formatted the card using the PC, then eos card
then followed all the instructions as I posted
then and only then did it work after I did a 2nd format of the SD
not sure what would have made the difference

gravitatemediagroup

@ 1%
is the alpha ready? or are you saying when it is released?

dube

I'm new here, hello everyone.  It's been laid out quite well in the past few posts, but I already started typing... I've never used Magic Lantern before but I got it working fine last night using this method:

*Make sure you start with Canon firmware v1.1.2
*Format SD card using camera
*Download the .fir  from the first post of this thread and put it in root of SD
*Download the latest autoexec.bin from https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads . Rename it to autoexec.bin and put it in root of SD
*Download the main Magic Lantern 2.3 zip and extract the ML folder to the root of the SD card (i.e. there should be a folder called ML in the root of the SD)
*Open EOScard and click the ML button.  Your settings should now look like this:

*Put the card in the camera and update the firmware using the .fir
*You will see the black and green installation complete screen. Restart the camera.

The ML menu is accessed using the erase button.

I do embedded development for a living and might be interested in helping with development on the 6D once I familiarize myself with magic lantern some more.

gravitatemediagroup

I also just looked at the first test clip, it MAY be because of the camera settings
but at bitrate 40 I see squiggly lines in details, is their another setting in ML I should
change when the bit is increased?