Exif Data from Raw to DNG?

Started by bnvm, September 11, 2013, 05:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnvm

If I transfer exif data from a photo to a RAW file and then extract DNG's, will the DNG's get their exif data from the RAW file? I am asking because it would be much faster to transfer the exif data 1 time to a raw file rather than 1000 times to each DNG. Thanks.

a1ex

Quoteit would be much faster to transfer the exif data 1 time to a raw file rather than 1000 times to each DNG
um... 1 second vs 5 seconds?

bnvm

Not quite, It would have been 51 raw files compared to 20,000 dng's. Also since I always export dngs to folders based off the raw file name using a python script to keep this organized, I had to go through the process transferring process 51 times with exiftoolGUI and the whole thing took almost 45 minutes. I didn't change anything during the shoot so I could have just transferred the exif data to all the raw files first and that would have taken 5 seconds.

I was just wondering where the exif data on the dng's was coming from, if from the raw file I would definitely do the transfer first from this point on.

a1ex

Out of curiosity, tried on my antique laptop: 1.8 seconds for updating 50 DNGs (with backups!)

So, for 20000 DNGs it should have taken 12 minutes. Should be less with a SSD and modern PC and --overwrite-original IMO...

bnvm

Sounds right if I process them all at once, but then they all have to be in the same folder which is rather messy. When I did it last time it was 20,000 dng's in 51 folders so they couldn't all be batch processed at once. With exiftoolGUI you have to select your folder, select all the dng's, go to the menu and select the option, hit ok, navigate to the source file, select which data to copy, and press execute - 51 times.

This is not a complaint or even a feature request since I know this is coming with mlv, I was just wondering how it works as of now so I write a simple python script to automate the whole process and save some time. Thanks.