256gig 1200X KomputerBay CF cards.

Started by ted ramasola, August 20, 2013, 09:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markus

Anybody tried 256GB compatibility on Mk III with newest firmware? 48min on one card would be great for documentaries, concerts and other live events! Canon update plans?

5D3shooter

The official canon firmware?  Video is limited to 29 minutes for a continuous video.

It was mentioned in the previous page that with ML firmware the card will only utilize 128GB of the 256GB card.. so I'd go with the 128s

arturochu

But if the new firmware reads the whole 256 gb, then maybe when ML updates to this firmware we could have longer raw record times and way faster cards.  ;)
Chu

5D3shooter

Well I have no idea if 1.2.3FW supports 256GB or if ML will ever be able to be installed over 1.2.3FW

kgv5

1200x speed would be great but 256GB from KB would be quite scary - imagine losing over 30min of footage when card gets corrupted...
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Markus

havn't had any corruption problems on my 64gig cards and they have been in and out of my camera since a bought them a couple of months ago.

actingnurse

Hey everyone - I'm new so please bear with me if I sound stupid lol. Just making sure I read this correctly - the 256G card will only hold 128G of footage in the 5D3? However, it will operate fast enough to actually record the raw footage - unlike KB's 128G cards? I've seen nothing but bad reviews on their 128G cards from what reading I've done on here.  I'm considering picking up a couple of their 64G cards simply because the price can't be beat and seems to perform ok?? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lugie

chris_overseas

Quote from: Lugie on November 18, 2013, 11:05:45 AM
Have anyone tried the new Sandisk cards that support VPG-65 with speed up to 160 MB/s?
http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/compactflash/extremepro-160mbs/?capacity=128GB

That 160MB/s is read speed. It says the sustained write speed is 65MB/s.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Baarman

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 13, 2013, 06:29:35 AM
@MA Visuals,

oops, Sorry I wasn't able to reply to your question and request.
No I did not perform extensive tests outside the camera as the Card is very picky with card readers, more than the 128gigs. The 256 from KB at the time of testing was only compatible to transcend and lexar usb 3 CF readers. I did a limited testing with a friend who had the mkIII and a transcend reader but only to format the card, install ML and do benchmarks on his mkIII.

Upon realizing that the major cameras that use ML (mkII,mkIII, 7D) can't support more than the 128gig versions of KB cards, I was no longer interested in pursuing further testing.

Even when you format the 256 as 256gig, the camera can't record more than 128gig worth of data on it.

The moment you perform an in-camera format it reduces it to 128.

I saw no benefit using it so I sent it back already.

Hi!

Ted, are you absolutely sure that this issue extends also to 5dmkIII? I´m asking cause I understand that you tested capacity issue only with mkII.
Thanks!

ted ramasola

Baarman,

I no longer have the card with me, but I posted my notes and tests here. Also some screen shots.

http://www.ramasolaproductions.com/6.html

Do you have specific questions about the card? Maybe I can dig up my notes and hope to answer them.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Baarman

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your time. Yes, I'm already familiar with your blog http://www.ramasolaproductions.com/6.html and your test with 256GB KB.

I have no additional questions regarding KB card, I still have 3 x 128GB 1000x KB cards that have failed multiple times and I have sent them back for 4 times by now due to several reasons (not quick enough, corrupted frames/artefacts, corruption of cards etc.). I don't trust these cards and that's why I'm planning to buy 256GB Sandisk UDMA7 160MB/s CF for my 5DmkIII.

This is why I asking about your experiment, cause I understand that you experienced this capacity issue (256GB card formatted in 5DmkII showing only 128GB of available space and even when formatted in PC, being able to store only 128GB of data) with only 5DmkII.

I cannot go with such an expensive investment via internet to risk with being able to use only 128GB out of 256GB. If this is the case I'm gonna go with 2x128GB Sandisk UMDA7 160MB/s CF cards. This is why I'm doing this pre-purchase research. The questions I have are:

1) 5DmkII and 5DmkIII cameras are different. Starting from firmware. Canon claimed that 5DmkIII is capable to record up to 256GB CF card when they release this camera. They didn't specify if photo or video. I tend to think that this rather goes to video cause photo is much less capacious. Also, Canon has released 2 newer versions of the firmware since the launch of 5DmkIII. None of these versions mention any capacity improvements under list of improvements. It's like there's no problem with that. Do we have a reason to suspect that one can't record 256GB/~48 minutes continues 1080p RAW video onto 256GB UDMA7 Sandisk 160MB/s CF card with 5DmkIII? I asked same question from our local Canon representative company, still waiting for the answer as they are discussing this with Canon international (or something like that). 

2) Is it possible that this capacity issue is something only Komputerbay 256GB card related (oh how I liked that)?

3) Most probably this has nothing to do with ML firmware, cause formatting goes together with Canon firmware, right?

Thanks again for your time. If anybody else have ideas, I'm one big ear...:)

ted ramasola

Sorry for the late reply Baarman,

The tests I did with the mkIII was limited.

The capacity issue is with canon cameras, KB informed me at the time I was doing the tests for the 256 gig that they stopped pushing it for other canon cameras except the 1DC. I don't know if it changed.

Anyhow, on my tests based on the KB cards available to me me for testing during that time, the most optimum performing card when it comes to speed was the 64gig 1000X. This is based on tests conducted on MkII, mkIII, and 7D.

it performed better or slightly better or near equal to, 1000X 128 gig, 1050X cards and the 1200X 256 gig.

Also. my personal opinion, due to the current experimental nature of magic lantern it would be prudent to use 64 gig than to lose a lot more footage on the bigger 128 or 256 card.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

1%

I'm suprised 5DIII doesn't support the 256 GB cards.

QuoteAlso. my personal opinion, due to the current experimental nature of magic lantern it would be prudent to use 64 gig than to lose a lot more footage on the bigger 128 or 256 card.

I think its cheaper too.

Markus

I don't think anybody has really tested the 256gb komputerbay thoroughly on a mk III...

ted ramasola

Like what kind of test for instance?

we know it can do 24P continuous around 10 minutes then we stopped recording due to lack of time and also since most practical takes in narratives and controlled set ups max out at those times.

For 30P it could only do 330 frames during the time we tested with the ML version available at that time.

Also continuous in 1920 x 1080 in crop mode.

As far as data rates, they did not show any improvement over the 1000X.

I saw no reason to pursue extensive tests when it could not be formatted in camera as 256gig.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Markus

The burning unanswered question for me is if you can fill it up with 256gb of data. In camera format is irrelevant for me, but to be able to store 47min of raw on one card would mean a whole lot for documentary and live event filming. If this works I would probably film everything in raw.
You might say that wold take a ton of space but with projects with a lot of raw material my plan is to develop the footage as the project progresses to DnxHD and throw away the raw files. A bit sad but a better compromise then filming those projects in H264 in my opinion.

Baarman

Quote from: Markus on December 10, 2013, 03:04:37 AM
The burning unanswered question for me is if you can fill it up with 256gb of data. In camera format is irrelevant for me, but to be able to store 47min of raw on one card would mean a whole lot for documentary and live event filming. If this works I would probably film everything in raw.
You might say that wold take a ton of space but with projects with a lot of raw material my plan is to develop the footage as the project progresses to DnxHD and throw away the raw files. A bit sad but a better compromise then filming those projects in H264 in my opinion.

I feel you, brother. :)
I bought 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s and still waiting this to be shipped from CVP.Co.Uk. Hopefully reaches this week. I'll let you know about the compatibility with 5DmkIII. Canon told to me that it works, so I took the risk.

Markus

Anxiously waiting to hear about your test results =)

Baarman

Btw, can't thank you enogh for this 5dmkIII vs zoom H6 favour, I'm using it and it's big deal. Hopefully ML dev will hear your raised request and we'll get the whole package! :)

Markus

Quote from: Baarman on December 13, 2013, 12:22:24 AM
Btw, can't thank you enogh for this 5dmkIII vs zoom H6 favour, I'm using it and it's big deal. Hopefully ML dev will hear your raised request and we'll get the whole package! :)
:), Your welcome. I think there is a pretty good chance this could be tweeked for perfect start sync by delaying the signal to match video exactly.

Baarman

Yep, I saw that you made it a day before yesterday. Cool, can´t wait to test it during the weekend. CVP just wrote that they handed over my Sandisk 256GB to TNT (it took them 2 weeks) and now it´s up to them when it gonna reach to me. Probably at the beginning of next week if it survives the Christmas traffic jam...

Baarman

Hi,

Sandisk 256GB UDMA7 160MB/s (1067x) VPG65 card received and I ran a few tests: 

1) There's no capacity issue between 5DmkIII and this card. 5DmkIII shows the whole card and when you format it within the camera it makes it perfectly exFAT. Grateful for that.
2) I managed to fulfil the whole card with one .RAW file, did it multiple times with different resolutions formats,  frame and crop rates.
3) Recording speed didn't drop below 87MB/s (it depends on what format you use). If it started with 97MB/s it also ended with similar speed after ~48 minutes, so I may say that this card is extremely stable. Unfortunately it also didn't exceed 100MB/s write speed like a hoped a little bit. Tried that with recording some higher level cropped resolutions.
4) Everybody probably knows by now that this time/capacity related defect with buffer was fixed by ML recently and there's no issue with speed drop after 8-9 minutes of constant recording.
5) Camera temperature didn't raise above 68c through the whole recording process. It was lower at the very beginning and received 68c peak after about 13 minutes of recording. Then it stood around 60c - 68c rest of the time.   
6) Blackmagic disk speed test on Mac shows constant write speed ~124MB/s and read speed 132MB/s.
7) Successful continues recording formats without frame drops:

1920 x 1080 (16:9), 23,976fps, 24fps, 25fps.
1920 x  508 (2,35:1), 60fps

crop mode: 2240x954 (2,35:1), 23,976fps, 24fps, 25fps.
crop mode: 2048x872 (2,35:1), 60fps

8) Don't use Kingston FCR-HS3 USB3.0 UDMA7 card reader with this specific card, it doesn't properly support it. It won't allow you to copy all the recorded files from the card, neither write nor format the card. I'm now using Transcend TS-RDF8K (the one that was witness for several Komputerbay 128GB 1000x CF cards death. :) not sure what this was card reader fault or faulty KB cards or my iMac or Blackmagic disk speed test. Most probably the extremely unstable Komputerbay 1000x cards because one of them died in my camera once battery unexpectedly ran empty).

This Sandisk 256GB card deserves a new topic, I'll start it as soon as I have a moment.

Happy upcoming X-mas for everybody!

arturochu

Nice to hear the sandisk card works well on the mark iii, you didn't mention 1080 30fps, i'm guessing its not possible. Hope someone could update the test of the KB 256 in the mark iii, that card its way cheaper than the sandisk one, and in theory its way faster.
Chu