7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

@1% I'll upload a sample of the distortion i was talking about when i get home. Also I'm wondering if you can enable FEATURE_SHUTTER_LOCK in your repo. I couldnt find something like it in the canon menu and I (maybe somebody else too) find it very useful as i'd prefer not to switch to tv.

Will turn it on and see if it works.

The 1/2 shutter for rec key probably starts H264... the module only captures the start/lv button. Don't know if it works on other cams either, I guess its useful for people with remote release

master is booting again... hopefully I can see whats up with FPS override

mrnv45

anyone have some good settings for the 7d on the 9.29 update?

im using a lexar 400x and can get up to 1440 2:35:1 crop.... continuous..

any extra settings i need to turn on or off to get a better feel?

JCBEos

Quote from: 1% on October 03, 2013, 05:01:06 AM
Hopefully I can get the master to boot off the other repo with less updates. Then I can see what is happening to the registers/memory.

:D :D :D :D
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

tonybeccar

I'll ask before and I'll ask again, maybe 1% you know why!

Why are we getting tremendous aliasing and moire in every camera except 5d3? I know 5d3 is better regarding that matter, BUT: In h264 video, the same line skipping is performed.. so WHY can we not achieve the same level of aliaising and moire as the H264? (which is very little). Can someone explain this? I guess that maybe someday it can be discovered, right?

a1ex

You have exactly the same level of aliasing as in H.264.

tonybeccar

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly with aliaising.. I also mean moire, I mean, you can see with your eyes the skipped lines.. just do a wide shot with infinity focus.. the level of moire in raw is far more noticeable than h264.. and I know it's the SAME line skipping, so why? That's why everyone is talking about a vaf filter... Do you know what I'm saying 1%? :)

a1ex

Postprocess the video with exactly the same parameters as H.264 (curve, softness and so on) and you'll get exactly the same level of aliasing and moire.

ericjolley

Re: moire and aliasing... also keep in mind, in raw, the picture has the capacity to be much sharper than it ever was in H.264.  And if you never saw how ugly the moire got in H.264, consider yourself lucky. 

I once shot commercial on my 7D that had a couple of shots of this couch.  The fine texture of the fabric was like a perfect storm for moire.  Most of the shots were unusable.  That was the day I bought a VAF.  I agree with a1ex, in non crop mode, aliasing and moire is bad but no worse in raw than in H.264.  How sharp you render the raw will make a difference, but a VAF is essential for the 7D in video period (IMHO).  Unless you just do shallow focus face shots.  Anything with detailed patterns is horrible without the VAF.

1%

Ok, so FPS isn't working on the master either as it was originally... I don't remember how well I tested it on older bins + H264 since we're all about raw. But 2 things for sure..

Repo way: RegA/B addresses switched + miswritten
My way: Written exactly as it looks when canon writes it...

both have a 10% chance of not locking the master with either method

So the only solution seems:

Catch rec stop, reset FPS registers, stop H264

Do I need a new handler for this? Last few frames would be wrong FPS but you can cut them off... so how do I do this? I tried from prop_MVR_rec_start but its too slow.

britom

While 1% keeps doing his magic, I undefined fps override so h264 video is working. I have a videoshoot coming up tomorrow and i planned to shoot h264 so the render it's done before i die, and the audio features are going to be of big help.

Here's the build (FPS override is disabled) https://www.dropbox.com/s/um1hpcv7y4vq3hz/ML7DFPSOVERRIDEOFF.zip
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

arrinkiiii

For what i know from my experience and also writing inglish the best i can...

-I recorded some raw footage in forest with tokina 11-16 2.8 (excellent for 5x)   wend i open the dng's on after effects i just didn't what to believe... wtf !!! I just got moire and aliasing on almost my all clips.

1- My window in after effects with the moire/aliasing clip is 1/4 of my screen. Wend i went to full screen  the moire/aliasing just disappear at the least in almost of the clips. Shrink image you get this kind of aliasing/moire.

2- Moire/aliasing will be showing in line skipping. In raw, like the name say, will be a lot more notice then in h.264

3- Wend i transcode from dng to h.264 for upload in, for example, Vimeo a lot of the moire/aliasing disappear. So, of course that the image going to be more soft, like a good advice is not focus sharp (that i don't like it)... Is like passing wav to mp3, you got more soft sound but also more noise. Soft sound=not bright, not so much detail. Equal to give in post some blur, all the moire/aliasing will disappear, this is what h.264, take out detail=soft image=also noise. For sure if i transcode a video clip to 2 bit's we will not see any moire/aliasing...   or anything =))    ...just art =)

About 5DIII  don't know, don't have... i wish. The best solution, for know and i think for ever (because very soon the market will change, the game have change. Ours machines have hardware limitess and this is almost what you can get from them)

The best solution is the VAF filter. My machine will never be a red dragon or cooking machine but is a f***king machine!!! ...at the least for the time that we are living.

One percent... YOU ROCK BIG TIME!!!  8)

Britom, what i can say??? Thanks for the h.264... are paying the bills.

Alex... you brainiac  :) wonderful 

For now i just start to use raw in my personal projects and in good well paying projects (that not yet appear). H.264 is good for the bad/untest gig, fast and all-in.

Old good H.264

1%

I don't think you have to disable it completely (bcz raw), just don't turn it + record H264 on at the same time :)

Anyways, its semi-fixed but...

1. buffer stop/out of space/4gb will probably hang it.
2. Last ~2 sec will be normal fps, can maybe shrink/grow this delay

I think this way is the best for now and its fairly usable.. maybe not perfect for all night time lapse but better than we had 4 hours ago.

britom

For me it froze last time even when i didnt turn fps on, so disabling in features.h seemed the only way... now i'm going to test the latest fixes, awesome work!
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

1%

Weird, if its not on, H264 should work. It would only freeze at the end anyways with 50/50 chance of finishing the file.

arrinkiiii

1%

QuoteAbout 5DIII  don't know, don't have... i wish. The best solution, for know and i think for ever (because very soon the market will change, the game have change. Ours machines have hardware limitess and this is almost what you can get from them)

7D is pretty close to 5DIII but missing 5DIII sensor performance. Rather than spend $4K+ on 5DIII its probably better to have a 7D + better lenses.

The moire only seems bad for things that would produce moire normally. In a controlled environment this isn't as much of an issue unless you have a lot of people with striped shirts, etc. :)

danistuta

With fps override I've got memory mark red in the menu and often Err 77 during REC. How to solve?
Thanks.

arrinkiiii

(don't know what happen upstairs with the double post)

Quote from: 1% on October 04, 2013, 12:28:24 AM
7D is pretty close to 5DIII but missing 5DIII sensor performance. Rather than spend $4K+ on 5DIII its probably better to have a 7D + better lenses.

The moire only seems bad for things that would produce moire normally. In a controlled environment this isn't as much of an issue unless you have a lot of people with striped shirts, etc. :)

Yes, indeed   :D

1%

QuoteWith fps override I've got memory mark red in the menu and often Err 77 during REC. How to solve?

Try now, I changed memory and timing a bit.

tonybeccar

Very interesting your answers about the softening of H264.. will look closely into that then! And I totally agree with the controlled enviroment, BUT.. in every short you make, you're gonna have a wide shot, a master shot, and sometimes you're gonna need everything in focus! Sometimes you can't get away with thin depth of field! AND, for me, the most attractive thing of all this RAW crazyness, and I see it only in 5D3, is exactly that! I can't believe how SHARP and awesome those wide shots look! Everything is in focus and with awesome detail! And this you cannot have on 7D, but I don't know with the VAF filter on.. every test I see they dodge this all-in-focus shots ;) And doing a wide shot in crop mode well that's just not so confortable hehe..

H264 still rocks and pays the bills !!!! ;)

Cheers!

Digital Corpus

Quote from: arrinkiiii on October 03, 2013, 11:45:16 PM
For what i know from my experience and also writing inglish the best i can...

-I recorded some raw footage in forest with tokina 11-16 2.8 (excellent for 5x)   wend i open the dng's on after effects i just didn't what to believe... wtf !!! I just got moire and aliasing on almost my all clips.

1- My window in after effects with the moire/aliasing clip is 1/4 of my screen. Wend i went to full screen  the moire/aliasing just disappear at the least in almost of the clips. Shrink image you get this kind of aliasing/moire.

2- Moire/aliasing will be showing in line skipping. In raw, like the name say, will be a lot more notice then in h.264
The reason why when you are re-sizing the frame window and you get more moire is because of the resampling algorithm. Given that your perceptive artifacts were greater was because that AE was most likely using linear/bi-linear sampling. If bicubic or lanczos sampling were used, your smaller image would exhibit fewer artifacts. A good example of this phenomenon is on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

mityazabuben

Hi. Maybe someone have Rokinon/Samyang 8mm lens and can test it in a 5x crop mode? Im eager to see the results...
Thanks

arrinkiiii

@Digital Corpus

Indeed =))

arrinkiiii

Anyone know's the analog ISO's for the 7D or the native one's? 

- ISO in RAW different use from H.264 -

edwmotion

Quote from: mityazabuben on October 04, 2013, 11:25:59 AM
Hi. Maybe someone have Rokinon/Samyang 8mm lens and can test it in a 5x crop mode? Im eager to see the results...
Thanks

Would be that something like 64mm?

8x5x1.6?