7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Heres a recap of resolutions now possible with a 1000x CF card.

in 24P

1728 x 972  16:9 = Continuous

in Crop mode which is 30P since there is still no FPS over ride.

2152 x 1200 2.09:1 = 97

1920 x 1080 16:9 = 201

1728 x 736 2.35:1 =Continuous

1600 x 800 2:1 = Continuous

in 60P

1728 x 412  3:1 = 449

1600 x 382  3:1 = 2,610

1472 x 350 3:1 = Continuous

1280 X 416  2.20:1 =  Continuous
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

flofifull

Love you Brunonicko!!!!!  :) :) :)
on Lexar 1000x 32Go (24p) :

1728 x 972 (16:9) : = continuous
1728 x 736 (2.35) : = continuous

Other resolutions are available in crop (Love that because no line skipping here !) (30p) :
1728 x 736 (crop Mode / 2.35) = continuous

1920 x 1080 (Crop Mode / 16.9) = 235 frames
1920 x 818 (Crop Mode / 2.35) = 660 frames

2048 x 1152 (Crop Mode / 16.9) = 147 frames
2048 x 872 (Crop Mode / 2.35) = 359 frames

2240 x 1200 (Crop Mode / 1.87) : 126 frames
2240 x 1200 (Crop Mode / 2.35) : 198 frames

2512 x 1200 (Crop Mode / aspect ratio 2:09) = 100 frames
2512 x 1068 (Crop Mode / 2.35) = 127  frames
2512 x 942 (Crop Mode / 2.67) = 150  frames

Some corrupt frames with Global Draw activated. No one when Global Draw off.

Awesome progress !!!! i'm loving more and more my 7d !

nick.p

Today has been a good day

hbr

Thank you  @brunonicko !!

Higher resolution than 600px height now works, and live view does not freeze.
There is couple of corrupted frames every now and then, in the first second of the video, but oherwise it's working fine! ;-)

jemabaris

Awesome job, Brunonicko !!!!!!!!!!!

One question besides: I get a pink pixel in each frame. always at the same place. looks like a dead/hot pixel to me. However, I´ve never noticed it in any still foto. Does ACR remove it automatically in stills?

jemabaris

Quote from: hbr on August 26, 2013, 11:00:25 AM

There is couple of corrupted frames every now and then, in the first second of the video, but oherwise it's working fine! ;-)

I had the same problem... switching on the card warm up fixed it for me.

hbr

I am guessing that corrupted frames could be caused by slow card speed, will test new 1000x card as soon as I get it ;-)

edwmotion

This kind of modification would be very useful in crop mode. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uroor8e-HIU

obiyan19

woo hoo, thanks a lot !

no any freeze in live-view recording ! now, just need to buy 1000x card !
600D + 7D + 5D2  // 24-105 L is ~ 100-400 L is ~ 18-200 is ~ 18-55 isII ~ sigma 50 f1.4 EX

kh3naz

Quote from: edwmotion on August 26, 2013, 09:31:25 AM
Cheers, that's the max resolution for the Canon 7D.

Higher resolutions in crop mode with hardware modification would be interesting in the near future.

I'm a little bit confused  , 1728 x 972 really is the limit in non crop with RAW ? is this a hardware limitation on the 7D ?

What about in crop mode , now that we can record 1080p and 2.5k etc , will it be possible to improve the duration or has the 7D reached it's limit with the write speed ?

;D

nick.p

Quote from: Digital Corpus on August 17, 2013, 03:47:31 AM
For the following aspect ratios, assuming that we can achieve a continuous ~80 MB/sec +/- 0.5 MB/sec, the maximum frame sizes are:
FR      3:2         16:9         2.35:1
23.976   1728 x 1152   1892 x 1056   2176 x 920
29.97   1550 x 1032   1696 x 944   1944 x 824
59.94   1088 x 736   1192 x 672   1368 x 584

Just demonstrating theoretical in case anyone has the time to test and push the boundaries of our hardware.
It's time to push these boundaries. It seems like we are still a far way off this.

JCBEos

As a ML noobie, I got 2 question that's troubling for my mind:

what do you exactly call "Crop Mode"?   ::)
And how to know if you're in 24 or 30 fps?

I got the (wrong?) feelin I'm not doiin something as it should be done do get the best results

thanks

and btw, sorry for my english  :P
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: JCBEos on August 26, 2013, 12:24:48 PM
what do you exactly call "Crop Mode"?   ::)

Exactly what it says: A smaller frame inside your "full frame" APS-C sensor area. There is a menu item to turn it on and off.
Maybe you are confused by the fact that a "normal" RAW picture may have less pixels than a cropped one.

There are two modes: "Normal" RAW video uses liveview and this is limited to 17xx width. Cropped mode uses a smaller rectrangle inside the sensor area without line skipping.
It's something like digital zoom ...

And how to know if you're in 24 or 30 fps?

There is a menu item allowing to choose and check the actual setting.

I got the (wrong?) feelin I'm not doiin something as it should be done do get the best results

It's called "learning curve". RAW has it's caveats and stumbling on this bumpy road is quite normal.
Read a lot in the RAW Video section and just keep on experimenting. You're at the very edge of something fascinating but it is still an edge.

Ciao, Walter

dmk

Hey guys, I'm new to magic lantern, this is my first post :)

Will this card work with the 7D raw: http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-128GB-Professional-COMPACT-Extreme/dp/B00DQ8WM72 ?

I saw elsewhere, in the 5d forums, that there's an issue connecting that card via usb2 readers. Since I don't have an external reader, and I plan to use the camera connected directly to the computer to do the offloading... will it be okay?

Any reason to go with the 1000x instead (besides a little savings)?

Walter Schulz

You need a card reader or you will not be able to install ML.
Kingston FCR-HS3 works very well with SD and CF and costs only a fraction of the card's price.

And you will be limited to USB 2.0 speed (about 16 MByte/s cam -> computer). To transfer 128 GByte this way it will take about 2 hours. And you will drain the batteries reducing their life time ...

@all: Heard about compatibility issues with this card and 7D. Still a problem or solved?

Ciao, Walter

Aquablue71

Hi,

i just followod this hole threads quite a while now. till now i was not able if i should try, but with the latest version made by brunonicko i am planing to try. Now my question. Can someone link the latest installation instruction? At the moment i am a little bit confused, what is the actuall way to make everything running (specially i would like to test the one that has been made by brunonicko).

sorry for the questoin, but i dont wont to make something wrong that i took the wrong instruction.

thanks for the help
regards

Walter Schulz

Welcome to our roller coaster!
First steps are linked in the first post.
After this one download brunonicko's files, expand them and copy the files/ML dir over the card's files/ML dir.

Ciao
Walter

JCBEos

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 26, 2013, 12:52:14 PM

There is a menu item allowing to choose and check the actual setting.

Thx for ur answer Walt :)

I just looked further.... Finally I simply do not understood that you have to go in x5 liveview in order to turn on the "crop mode"...  ::)

I now have to try some macro shots at 2.5k!
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

arrinkiiii

Good Morningggggg  :D

This is awesome, what a weekend!!!

Obrigadooo Brunonicko, voçe salvou-nos massaaaaa

Going to try  ;D

Aquablue71

so that description is still the right one. I was not shure about. i had the feeling that there are different description.
So will try it then :)
Just one more question. When i unzip the file from brunonicko there are two main folders. __MACOSX and ML_BrunoNicko. Do i need both content or just the one under ML_BrunoNicko?

André

mucher

Great job.

I have got a problem. When zoom in to 10x, my 7D still freezes, but it is only a small glitch that I can solve it by switch off 10x zoom in the menu.

BTW, when shoot with raw, the 7D often goes into sleep mode, could not find a way to stop it. It is driving me nuts. Helps needed. Thanks in advance.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Aquablue71 on August 26, 2013, 01:52:29 PM
so that description is still the right one. I was not shure about. i had the feeling that there are different description.
So will try it then :)
Just one more question. When i unzip the file from brunonicko there are two main folders. __MACOSX and ML_BrunoNicko. Do i need both content or just the one under ML_BrunoNicko?

André

Just the Autoexec.bin and the ML Folder.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

mucher

Please ignore reply #420. I turned off the LV power saving in Canon's menu.

dmk

Thanks Walter, I'll look into that card reader. In terms of battery life, I use AC adapter- but yeah, a card reader is definitely the way to go- thanks for the nudge in the right direction :)

My only catch is since I'm in Israel, it's a bit tough to get bulkier equipment. A CF card can be slipped into an envelope. Card reader is a little trickier... but you're right, I need to get one ;)

Looking forward to the group's conclusion for that card...  can't wait to start playing with ML, and I have a couple upcoming low-budget shorts which I was going to rent a BMCC for but now might just shoot with this upgrade. Yay!

BTW I have both a programming and film background (portfolio @ http://davidkomer.com)... it's been a really long time since I've played with asm, and my C is really very rusty as well... but I'm no stranger to thousands of lines of code if I'm able to help out somewhere specific. Schedule's pretty tight, plus family obligations etc. but you never know :D

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 26, 2013, 01:25:11 PM
You need a card reader or you will not be able to install ML.
Kingston FCR-HS3 works very well with SD and CF and costs only a fraction of the card's price.

And you will be limited to USB 2.0 speed (about 16 MByte/s cam -> computer). To transfer 128 GByte this way it will take about 2 hours. And you will drain the batteries reducing their life time ...

@all: Heard about compatibility issues with this card and 7D. Still a problem or solved?

Ciao, Walter

arrinkiiii

In the beginning i just update the raw_rec module... and it freeze the camera. Update the autoexec.bat and everything go's alright  :D I think this happen because i have the last autoexec.bat that have the dinamic menu but now it don't have.

Britom or  Brunonicko it's possible to compile the last ml (autoexec.bat) with the last features from the bitbucket and working with this last raw_rec module from Brunonicko?

THANK YOUUUUUU ;D ;D