7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenatoPhoto

You are posting on the wrong thread.  This is development thread for 7D not a: General Help Q&A (right area to ask help questions)

You will find all of the answers in the Guides written here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=49.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

mburgst

Got my Komputerbay 64GB card yesterday. What Read/Write speeds should a card like that show in the benchmark? I got like 46MB/s on a 2048 chunk.

Recording 1x1 on 1728 stopped with a Frameskip after some seconds. Second try didn't stop and went on fluently.

Before heading to bed i tried recording 1920 in 5x crop mode, but that stopped recording after the first frame.

Right now i remember the hint to set jpg quality to S. Does that improve recording? Global draw had been set to off.

FPS Override Firmware was loaded and FPS were set to 25.

Build was the latest test build from 12.09.2013

longyanhd

No RAW on my 7D(Version:magiclantern-7D.203.Alpha2 )
Where do you download?Thanks

Thomas Worth

Hey guys, I finally got some time to continue testing ML on my 7D. Here are a few observations:

Recording at 1728x972 works continuously at both 24 and 25 fps with a 64GB KomputerBay 1000x CF card. This is good! However, if I have global draw enabled during recording, I get corrupted frames every now and then. Also, if I have software focus peaking enabled, I can't record continuously. It this because software peaking is sucking up too much CPU?

DIGIC peaking (hardware peaking?) works great, and allows me to record continuously at 972p while it's on. I'd like to use the edge detect peaking variant, but don't want it enabled all the time -- only for checking focus. I can half-press to get back my preview, but what I'd really like is to invert this behavior. In other words, half-press turns on DIGIC peaking.

I can record for a while (not continuous, unfortunately) at 50p at scope-ish aspect ratios. However, there is some bad aliasing with red/blue shifts. It's the same type of aliasing you notice with an unmodified Canon DSLR prior to the 5D Mark III. This doesn't seem to be an issue when recording up to 30p. Why only 50p and up?

Looking good so far. I almost feel comfortable using this on a shoot! I'd be interested in seeing how well RAW 5D3 and 7D cut together.

arrinkiiii

jman

Not sure if I'm reading this right. When you record raw (mlv) at 5x (zoom) the frame rate is 30fps.
In order to change it to 23.976 do you have to go into the Canon menu and change the firmware ?
I'm using the Sept 30th update which is autoboot. I just copied the files from the newest update that provides the fps change.
What is the reason (benefits) to record at 5x and what is the proper way to get fps to work. Cheers !!!!

arrinkiiii

U need to update with the last versions from 1%. After this turn on you camera and update the firmware for you get the the fps override option to work.

In the ML menu, movie, just put the disere fps and use the exact fps option also. Using 5x you can get 2k, igher resolutions and without skipping frame, no moire or other undesired things =))

For now it's the only method that we have to have some functions work on the 7D, like fps override. 

jman

Quote from: arrinkiiii on September 18, 2013, 02:12:52 PM
U need to update with the last versions from 1%. After this turn on you camera and update the firmware for you get the the fps override option to work.

In the ML menu, movie, just put the disere fps and use the exact fps option also. Using 5x you can get 2k, igher resolutions and without skipping frame, no moire or other undesired things =))

For now it's the only method that we have to have some functions work on the 7D, like fps override.
Thank you...will give it a go. Cheers !

dpmaia

Are these cards going to make any difference for the 7D?

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=21010

stevelucky

Quote from: dpmaia on September 18, 2013, 04:16:54 PM
Are these cards going to make any difference for the 7D?

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=21010

I think that's going to be a whole lot faster than the write speed capabilities of the 7D. At that point the camera is the bottleneck.

danistuta

Is there a way to shoot in 1080 60p h264 with fps override?
Thanks.

mburgst

strange. when i switch to 5x mode i can maximum record about 30-40 frames then recording stops because of skipped frames. :(

i'm having severe frame skipping issues now with the new card. can't get it to recording without skipping frames any more. at any FPS may it be 23,79, 24, 25 or 30. 5x or 1x. tried different resolutions. at 1920 i can't get beyond 10 frames or so.

pretty much out of ideas what could be wrong..

once the camera had locked up when switching to 5x mode and starting recording. couldn't reproduce it though..

did some more tests. seems like the infotext when switching resolutions is pretty correct. when it's green i can continuosly record. so where does this thing gets its information from? seems like my card doesn't make any more than around 70mb/s? or is my cam too slow?!

when switching to 5x mode i really have to lower resolution. not even close to beeing able to record in around 1920.

once even liveview froze.

also changing zoom seems to slow down recording even with global draw off. maybe that magic zoom does interfere here?

luckyluis

Is there anywhere I can download some raw footage from to test the Workflow before I install?
I cant seem to find it anywhere and I apologize if it is staring me in the face.  :P

Been reading the forum a few day's now and some amazing work going on by the Magic lantern community, and I would just like to say thanks.

arrinkiiii

Don't know if anyone got it for download but i think that in vimeo you can find and download it  :)

luckyluis

Quote from: arrinkiiii on September 18, 2013, 11:16:35 PM
Don't know if anyone got it for download but i think that in vimeo you can find and download it  :)

Ok cool. Will take a look. Cheers.

Thomas Worth

For users of RAWMagic and raw2dng: I did some tests with and without the vertical stripes correction code, and I get a cleaner result from 7D RAW footage when this correction is bypassed. I will add the ability to disable the correction in the next RAWMagic update (as of now it is always enabled).

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Thomas Worth on September 19, 2013, 01:09:30 AM
For users of RAWMagic and raw2dng: I did some tests with and without the vertical stripes correction code, and I get a cleaner result from 7D RAW footage when this correction is bypassed. I will add the ability to disable the correction in the next RAWMagic update (as of now it is always enabled).

Hi Thomas, the rawmagic it's only for mac?

Thomas Worth

Quote from: arrinkiiii on September 19, 2013, 02:01:07 AM
Hi Thomas, the rawmagic it's only for mac?
At the moment, yes. I have a CLI version that runs on Windows, but no GUI yet.

alsey7

over all having fun with ML my new addiction

a raw shoot i took
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzGJO4uzubk&feature=youtu.be

a1ex

Quote from: Thomas Worth on September 19, 2013, 01:09:30 AM
For users of RAWMagic and raw2dng: I did some tests with and without the vertical stripes correction code, and I get a cleaner result from 7D RAW footage when this correction is bypassed.

Can you upload a small raw file that shows this?

Thomas Worth

Quote from: a1ex on September 19, 2013, 07:01:51 AM
Can you upload a small raw file that shows this?
Layer these two images on top of each other, then turn the top one on/off and you'll see the difference. This is zoomed in about 400%, I believe.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5a9f/8bjux3fnl4il7g9fg.jpg (VS On)
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/6478/usofobjks2hhh5nfg.jpg (VS Off)

This is repeatable with any RAW file as long as the image is pushed hard during color correction (as was the frame above).

a1ex

Back then I've disabled the correction in dark areas for similar  reasons:

* At very dark levels, you will introduce roundoff errors, so don't correct there
             ... pa > black + 64 ...

Maybe this threshold needs adjusted or computed dynamically?

britom

¿Can anybody share two video frames (dngs if possible) taken with the 7d, one with the VAF filter on and one off? I'll be forever thankful :)
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

artrepublican

Thanks to all developers for their hard and amazing work.

I recorded almost 5 min long continuous raw video twice. First with, and Second without external monitor. That one with hdmi monitor had a lot of pink frames. The second test, without monitor had not, even one pink frame  :).
Is there any possibilities to record using external monitor without having broken frames?

I used KomputerBay 64 GB 1000x CF
Format: 16:9, 1728 x 972

I had the same issue earlier using ML when recording H.264, so maybe it's not fixable at all.

Thomas Worth

Quote from: a1ex on September 19, 2013, 07:46:26 AM
Maybe this threshold needs adjusted or computed dynamically?
I'm of the opinion that image processing should be avoided altogether if it isn't absolutely necessary. In the case of the 5D3, the code is needed and works well. So, my thought was to auto-enable the "VSC" code when the 5D3 or other cameras that need it are detected. For other cameras like the 7D, it is bypassed. This should also save a little CPU, although the cost seems negligible on a fast Mac.

I also think the user should be able to "opt out" if they want to (as was done here, which resulted in a cleaner image).