Speedgrade colour issues?

Started by jimmy, June 18, 2013, 07:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy

Anyone else tried the new Speedgrade CC to grade their ML RAW files? I tried it today, using RAW Magic to convert my .RAW file, but once imported into Speedgrade it appears as really dark and with a strong magenta cast. Even though the same sequence opens fine in After Effects, correctly exposed and with no cast. No amount of pushing and pulling the colour in Speedgrade helps this, so I gather it's interpreting it wrongly. Anyone got any ideas why this might be and what the solution might be? I know Resolve may be better, but when I've bought into the Adobe ecosystem it seems a shame to leave tools like Speedgrade untested.

robinson brothers

I was trying the same thing.  I had no luck.  I like SpeedGrade and would love to use this in my new RAW workflow.

chmee

i've seen that as well. how bad looks the footage if you

"midtones in Speedgrade, bump up the level of magenta (not lessen as in LR and AE) to around +25-+40"
"I noticed I don't have to jack the midtones up to around 36+ in magenta anymore after changing the setting to daylight, tungsten, blah, blah, blah"
(link)

i think its a problem with the asShotNeutral-Values - they are liable for the whitebalance, so for the green-magenta-value.
(will put it on my todolist of raw2cdng)

-> did you tested with changing slightly the colormatrix of the file? lowering the r-value..

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

iaremrsir

I think Speedgrade does this to all dng files it does not have a profile for. If someone shoots a Macbeth color chart you could auto-calibrate it to neutral color. If you already know what matrix to use to convert the sensor -> XYZ  -> sRGB/Rec709 you could save a profile for it

chmee

we're talking about it in another thread..

AnotherDave

chmee

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6779.0
(measuring and saving Whitebalance into raw_rec header instead of fixed values for daylight - in my app)

[edit half a year later] speedgrade needs a color-lut/color-matrix to work accordingly with raw-files..
in raw2cdng 1.4.8 (zip) is an example - .look - file..

regards chmee

itsDPmikey

I just converted my raw into dng and when I open it or try to in SPEEDGRADE, I get "Failed to decode frame"
I dont understand..
Any Solutions?
I love this &^*$ MAN!

chmee

Speedgrade does not support 14bit dng. Maybe this?