RAW post processing tests

Started by Redrocks, June 18, 2013, 03:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redrocks

Touch wood, it looks like ML RAW video is here to stay and most of us will be using the ML variety to some degree for the forseeable future. The many workflow guides are a godsend, but I searched the thread and found no real mention of it: is anyone interested in conducting some experiments into RAW workflow?

ML RAW video is still bleeding edge and there could be changes to the actual files we are transfering to our desktops, but for now we have 14 bit rough diamonds to polish up and it seems there are many ways to do this. It would be handy if we had a standard set of files that we could use to a) nail down the process for getting the best out of our footage b) establish benchmarks for the constantly updating software we use.

We agree on one set of shots covering the ranges we encounter (low light, sunny, charts...) we host them and each of us has access to the same files. We then run them through our own personal workflow and deliver in the agreed format with info about what we did.

Obviously open to all thoughts on this.

fatpig

I think when the CinemaDNG converter has implemented compression and commandline, the batchtools will be able to take care of all that is needed.

I for one intend to write my BATCHelor in that manner. generate CinemaDNG and a Cineform Proxy directly on set.
resolve gives unbelievable performance and unmatched image quality when using 3D LUTs.
I think this is the way to go.

Proxy with cineform (lightning fast creation) and final version with CDNG and Resolve.
Ideally all done automatically with batch processing on set.