Enhacing Usability of Auto ETTR

Started by RenatoPhoto, June 13, 2013, 01:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenatoPhoto

So far, ETTR is a fantastic tool.  My only problem is making a quick exposure adjustment like I do with raising or lowering the EV by using the "half-shutter" and Large Scroll Wheel on the 5D3.

I know this is the equivalent of asking Auto ETTR to undo what it has done... 

But maybe there is a way to allow users to quickly switch between ignoring the highlights, or the specular highlights and telling ETTR to optimize the other part of the image.  I know we have the Highlight ignore % which does exactly what I want but it is too slow and not user friendly to dig into the ML menu to up this value, shoot, look at the results and change it again.

One way would be to use a quick set-up much like the Canon Shutter link that allows changes quickly in shutter speed.

Another way would be using the Set + Small Scroll Wheel during the image review (in ETTR mode) to quickly set a new exposure level in the image at LV.  This would allow the use to say I want my picture exposed like this and then the camera would calculate a % ignore value that would give that exposure look.  The main purpose of this would be to give the user an ability of quickly determining how much of the highlights should be ignored, in real life, with the image showing in LV.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Audionut

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on June 13, 2013, 01:15:16 AM
Another way would be using the Set + Small Scroll Wheel during the image review (in ETTR mode) to quickly set a new exposure level in the image at LV.  This would allow the use to say I want my picture exposed like this and then the camera would calculate a % ignore value that would give that exposure look.  The main purpose of this would be to give the user an ability of quickly determining how much of the highlights should be ignored, in real life, with the image showing in LV.

This would be handy :)

I think an adjustment of zebras would be ideal.  Calculate and display new zebras based on the user adjustment.  This would allow easy visual clue as to where the new overexposure is occurring.  What steps would be best though?  0.5EV?

Would really love another button then set though.  Set is the only other button that Canon allows ISO to be mapped to.