Ginger HDR: Direct RAW import into Premiere Pro and After Effects

Started by John Hable, June 09, 2013, 11:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pascal

Good day Mr Hable,

I like your software, however the magenta issue noisyboy highlighted makes it inconvenient for high quality video output. Can you fix this issue? I would like to buy your software when it is usable.

Clemens

Quote from: Fauxto on June 27, 2013, 09:58:33 AM
Works like a charm for me. Congrats!

EDIT: I can edit fine with it in Premiere, but with After Effects I'm seeing that the DNG's hold a bit more highlight info. If I lower the exposure with camera raw in the DNG's I get more detail in seeemingly blown up highlights than with the exposure tool in combination with highlight recovery in the tonemapping (basic) effect with the RAW file.

Is that so? Can it be avoided?

Other than that I really miss the lens correction tools for deformation, vignetting and aberration of ACR.

The Ginger HDR tool remains very useful for avoiding editing with proxies with premiere, but I don't know if I would color correct from them.

Just downloaded the test version, and this is exactly what i see. Somehow the dynamic range seems to appear lower then in ACR with the DNGs.
The Ginger HDR Toolss are nice but in no comparison to ACR - what would be ok, if I could use the additional dynamic range with other plugins like Colorista. But as already said... somehow there seems to be less information available then over DNG / ACR

ShootingStars

There's a problem with your plugin.

I am trying to do 60FPS to 24FPS slow motion so I import my 60FPS footage into AE into a 24FPS composition then when I right click the raw to interpret footage it gets an error that crashes After Effects. I have to kill it with Task Manager. No menu shows up.

This works fine in Premiere Pro.

Is there any fix for this? I really prefer AE. :(

TjS

Quote from: ShootingStars on July 21, 2013, 05:53:18 PM
There's a problem with your plugin.

I am trying to do 60FPS to 24FPS slow motion so I import my 60FPS footage into AE into a 24FPS composition then when I right click the raw to interpret footage it gets an error that crashes After Effects. I have to kill it with Task Manager. No menu shows up.

This works fine in Premiere Pro.

Is there any fix for this? I really prefer AE. :(

I had a similar problem. I imported 30fps clips into AE and set the interpretation to 24 fps - this usually works great and just slows down the footage a tiny bit. With the RAW clips imported through Ginger HDR I have the problem that the footage looks super jerky - its the same speed as the original 30fps clip, just missing those 6 frames every second - not a pleasing result :(
Needless to say, if I import the same clip as a DNG sequence and interpret it as 24p, it looks fine.

Is there any way to get around that? 

fafalone

I've been playing around with this and there seems to be a problem with the debayering algorithm.
I made a little video to illustrate the problem. Pay attention to the lines on the lamp shade...

jackdelamare

Has anybody noticed any quality loss when using GingerHDR? It's my first time shooting RAW and it seemed like the quickest/easiest workflow but I'm now finding it hard to tell the difference between a H264 shot and a RAW shot.

iaremrsir

Quote from: jackdelamare on August 05, 2013, 01:14:51 AM
Has anybody noticed any quality loss when using GingerHDR? It's my first time shooting RAW and it seemed like the quickest/easiest workflow but I'm now finding it hard to tell the difference between a H264 shot and a RAW shot.

Really, I can tell there's better color manipulation, finer noise, and it's worlds sharper. Yeah it's going to take some time before it's at the highest quality. I think the point of it is to debayer and leave all post processing up to the user after the fact.

Canon eos m

Quote from: fafalone on July 24, 2013, 10:43:52 AM
I've been playing around with this and there seems to be a problem with the debayering algorithm.
I made a little video to illustrate the problem. Pay attention to the lines on the lamp shade...

But notice in your video  how much better the middle portion of the lamp looks in GHDR (more dynamic range). I guess there are trade offs. Depends on personal choice.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

savale

Thanks for this great workflow. I think it's the best out there for windows users.  8)

jackdelamare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f23UFqiYjfQ

Here's my little test, unlisted on YouTube. RAW certainly has given better colour but I am finding it hard to see much of a difference. Is it just me?

aaphotog

Quote from: jackdelamare on August 15, 2013, 10:53:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f23UFqiYjfQ

Here's my little test, unlisted on YouTube. RAW certainly has given better colour but I am finding it hard to see much of a difference. Is it just me?
Raw give a MUCH sharper image!
gives the ability to change white balance and color without the image falling apart.

iaremrsir

Has development for this stopped? I've seen no updates on the website...

Eggeh

Hey, has anyone encountered issues recovering highlights with GingerHDR? I've been trying some extreme contrast tests to get used to the 5D MK3 and I noticed something that looks like clamped whites when GingerHDR is used. Anything that appears white will just turn grey whether it be using the Tonemap plugin, the White point from the ceiling from the white balance or any other gamma/curves plugs from AE (the project is set to 32bits of course). I see the informations are there as I can retrieve much more content with ACR from the sheet of paper.

Thanks
5D Mark III - Game Boy Camera - Samyang 24mm t1.5 - Samyang 14mm f/2.8 - Canon 50mm f/1.8

iaremrsir

ACR reconstructs highlight information when one or two of the RGB channels clip. This as you may have experienced can cause the pink highlight issue. GingerHDR just lets the highlights clip to white instead of attempting reconstruction.

kawasakiguy37

Quick Question:

Whats the best workflow when Im working with a .RAW file from a ML 5D MKIII that was taken on HDR mode? Right now it looks like the wrapper option for ML HDR only works for .MOV files taken under H264?

I love that I can open all of these .raw's natively in premiere and AE but Im not sure what the best way to merge the HDR stuff is (ideally without batch converting everything into CDNG's or EXR)

Synthcopado

Hello:
Since I installed ginger hdr, AE only recognizes dng as ginger wrapper in the import dialog windows. "raw sequence" checkbox is grey and i canĀ“t import the entire dng sequence.
Any advices besides unistall the plugin?

Thanks!!!

Andy600

I've seen this issue posted previously and seem to remember you need to remove the Ginger wrapper. The HDR plugin can still be used but raw handling will revert to ACR.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Synthcopado

Quote from: Andy600 on April 25, 2014, 12:05:02 PM
I've seen this issue posted previously and seem to remember you need to remove the Ginger wrapper. The HDR plugin can still be used but raw handling will revert to ACR.

Thanks Andy.

Canon eos m

Tried Ginger HDR yesterday since ML converter is too slow. Compared to MLC, GHDR is super fast for creating dng's. Wonder if there is an equally fast way to convert proxies for use with AE and PPro?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

chmee

i wouldnt build the workflow on a plugin, thats not supported/coded anymore.. the possibilities were limited as well. i think the best way will be now using ffmpeg..
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Shutterlab Creative

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere, I haven't used ginger HDR in quite some time and now their site is down. Can anyone tell me what happened to them?

I'm not able to register the plugin anymore. Is there a work around?

I assume that the plugin doesn't work for CC 2014. If so, is there anyway I can still make this work with older versions of Premiere?

I need a solution fast! Thanks for your help.

lauralily520

I'm sure there are differing opinions on this, but for me, here's the workflow I've implemented:
Convert RAW to Premiere pro and After Effects most compatible format with a professional format shifting software.
The software solves my problems easily.

odlan

Hello everybody. I bought ginger hdr plugin. I have a serial number and I need to download again it but the website 19lights.com do not longer exist. Do you know how can I manage it?