60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hairuku

Quote from: filmcubepro on January 02, 2014, 05:42:04 PM
anything from a width of 1152 and over, upscales adequately.

look at the bitrate info while you're recording :the closest you are from 22 mb/s , the better your card is.

besides, your the 60d can't really go over that bitrate: "bottlenecked" , those sneaky people from Canon :p

So there is physically no way for me to go in and modify the processor code to write to a CF card due to actual processor limitations?

EDIT: Also, I am unable to create a New Premiere project from within After Effects, when I hit the Dynamic Link to create a new PP project, it opens the sequence in PP but then says the DNG's contain no information? I am forced to Export the clip from AE into a high bitrate format (after initial tweaking in AE and camera Raw) and then import into Premiere in order to use the quick link to Adobe Speedgrade... Any help regarding this matter?

filmcubepro

Quote from: Hairuku on January 03, 2014, 08:42:10 PM
So there is physically no way for me to go in and modify the processor code to write to a CF card due to actual processor limitations?

EDIT: Also, I am unable to create a New Premiere project from within After Effects, when I hit the Dynamic Link to create a new PP project, it opens the sequence in PP but then says the DNG's contain no information? I am forced to Export the clip from AE into a high bitrate format (after initial tweaking in AE and camera Raw) and then import into Premiere in order to use the quick link to Adobe Speedgrade... Any help regarding this matter?

might be because of premiere's inability to read dng, maybe if the link is started from premiere to after effects, it could work.

Hairuku

Quote from: filmcubepro on January 04, 2014, 12:32:42 PM
might be because of premiere's inability to read dng, maybe if the link is started from premiere to after effects, it could work.

Premiere Pro received CinemaDNG support back in November, are the DNG files from the .RAW file CinemaDNG files or what? It is just weird the Premiere Pro is slated to work for cameras like BlackMagic Pocket Camera (Might sell my 60D and 50 1.4 to pick one up with all these barriers that I seem to keep hitting :/ .. )

EDIT: Didn't touch on it, but importing the DNG files into PP doesn't work either, the import sequence thinks there is no data in the DNG files, but AE works fine

filmcubepro

Quote from: Hairuku on January 04, 2014, 07:27:07 PM
Premiere Pro received CinemaDNG support back in November, are the DNG files from the .RAW file CinemaDNG files or what? It is just weird the Premiere Pro is slated to work for cameras like BlackMagic Pocket Camera (Might sell my 60D and 50 1.4 to pick one up with all these barriers that I seem to keep hitting :/ .. )

EDIT: Didn't touch on it, but importing the DNG files into PP doesn't work either, the import sequence thinks there is no data in the DNG files, but AE works fine

i agree shooting raw is a great feature, but you shouldn't make it you primary objective, its a great tool, the 60d is a very good camera and yes it does have barriers , but all cameras have barriers , you just have to work around it.

you could either wait for a patch from adobe, or change workflow.

marekk

PaulC

Marekk, what resolution did you record the video in? It looks brilliant, just wondering if it had much up-scaling!
Canon EOS 60D - (Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Helios 44M 58mm f/2)

marekk

1. Recorded with highest possible resolution on 60D with MLV_REC, 1728xXXXX 2,35:1, 24fps, 8 sec. per shot
2. Resized in AE to 1920x818, converted to log using VisionLog color profile, graded with VisionColor OSIRIS, exported to prores.
3. Edited in FCPX.

comurit

Hi Marekk, how did you manage to put vision log on ACR, I followed the instructions but when I open ACR and go to the camera profiles I only see the standard ones.
Any help will be really appreciate.
Thank you in advance.

Edit... I have done , thank you anyway!!

comurit

How do you convert MLV file to dng with a mac?
Thank you.

Edit... I have done , thank you anyway

Gurido

MLV to DNG -> http://youtu.be/PFaiU7rv1pg

Have not tried it yet, have to download  dump mlv first.

PaulC

Here's another raw video test with the 60D. Just followed my cat around and put a few clips into a wee 'short film'!

Shot in 1728x736 (2.35:1). Adjusted sharpness, exposure (shadows, highlights, contrast etc.) and a bit of noise reduction.

Canon EOS 60D - (Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Helios 44M 58mm f/2)

NorthlogicVFX

Hey everyone! I have a bunch of questions which propably have been answered a multitude of times in this thread, so please if you can just copy and paste the answers or a link to the right thread where the answers lie, that would be awesome. Here we go.

1. How on earth did the Magic Lantern team enable RAW recording on these cameras? My rationale would be something along the lines that they intercepted the signal before it goes to the image processor, that is where the signal is compressed right?

2. And is this RAW footage 4:4:4, so that it does not contain chroma subsampling at all. Because the definition of RAW seems to vary along different cameras, for example in RED cameras, the so called "RAW" footage is 4:2:2, which isn't actually lossless.

3. I was browsing through the different resolutions and frame rates on the RAW video option, is it therotically possible, if given fast enough card, to record 60fps at a higher resolution than what the camera gives which is 720p? To the extent of my studies, this should be the case. EDIT: Well, the 60D's limit of writing 20 mb/s kinda makes things more difficult. Is there any way even in theory to raise the maximum write speed?

4. Does the nightly builds include the RAW-modules shown in the first page of this post? Because there is RAW-recording available right out of the box when using nightly builds. I tried to download the Update #12 and when I copied it onto my card, the modules failed to load.

Thanks for your help and sorry for any inconvenience which might be caused by these repeating questions.

http://northlogicvfx.com

atideno

hi,

if, lets say, i wanted to use the RAW functionality to shoot portraits and get more "in the moment" shots is there anything specifically that you guys would recommend keeping in mind?
Obivously it would just be for further experimentation - seeing if i can get some good in the moment expressions rather than the usual posed smiles. Found some really interesting shots when looking at DNG sequences as individual photographs. Obviously I will never be able to get the same sort of resolutions but still would like to try. Any specific advise that comes to mind? 

Thanks,
Dennis

Kurtzva

RAW doesn't work on my 60D. Doesn't matter what version build or card or RAW resolution I use. Fails instantly.

This probably works differently on every camera. Don't see any other reason why it's not working.

Walter Schulz

You jump to conclusions without giving information backing up your opinion.
Please be more specific and give us more details.

EDIT: Saw your post about one month ago. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5653.msg92308#msg92308
Do you have tested your cards performance with an USB 3.0 cardreader running something like CrystalDiskMark?

Kurtzva

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 14, 2014, 10:41:30 PM
You jump to conclusions without giving information backing up your opinion.
Please be more specific and give us more details.

EDIT: Saw your post about one month ago. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5653.msg92308#msg92308
Do you have tested your cards performance with an USB 3.0 cardreader running something like CrystalDiskMark?

How do you figure that I jumped to some conclusion? After spending hours testing different combinations of settings, cards, resolutions, Googling and asking questions, I'd hardly call it "jumping to conclusions". I'm certainly not a complete newbie when it comes to stuff like this, but I've literally exhausted all options I was able to find, and still nothing works. I even waited patiently for a month for someone else to give me other recommendations.

I don't have a USB 3.0 anything, but I don't see how that matters after trying 2 different cards that are supposed to read/write (or whatever) at 90/s, and 8 other cards at different speeds and makes, all failed. I've even tried a MicroSD with a converter, still no dice. I've tried disabling RAW on the Canon settings, no dice. I've tried the latest nightly, no dice.

I decided to post again today after trying the most recent build with no success. Error (11), "please report bug" on latest.

dmilligan

what happens if you enable frame skipping?

Kurtzva

Quote from: dmilligan on January 15, 2014, 02:48:24 AM
what happens if you enable frame skipping?

From what I can see, no real difference, except it will continue recording, giving me a count of all the drop frames, which seems like quite a bit, if not all of them. And, on latest nightly, RAW recording will actually yield me .RAW files, but using RAW2DNG, I got no reaction. Using a couple random RAW video players and DaVinci Resolve didn't work either. So, I'm thinking the video files didn't actually record? Not really sure there.

dmilligan

Quote from: Kurtzva on January 16, 2014, 05:22:24 AM
From what I can see, no real difference, except it will continue recording, giving me a count of all the drop frames, which seems like quite a bit, if not all of them.

You need to be more specific. What were your settings? Exactly how many frames were recorded/skipped? Does it change when you change the resolution? Use different cards? What about crop mode? Run the card benchmark, what does it say? Did you set the picture quality to S2? What fps are you using? Are you in 1080p24 in the Canon menu? FPS override? GD off? As you change any of those things how does it affect the number of skipped frames?

QuoteAnd, on latest nightly, RAW recording will actually yield me .RAW files, but using RAW2DNG, I got no reaction. Using a couple random RAW video players and DaVinci Resolve didn't work either. So, I'm thinking the video files didn't actually record? Not really sure there.
What's the file size? raw2dng is a command line tool, so if you're not familiar with the command line, operating it may be challenging, try using one of the many available GUIs for it (search the forum). AFAIK Resolve cannot directly open ML raw files, nor are there any players that I know of (other than MLV player, which is only for mlv_rec created files).

Hairuku

Thought I'd post another clip this one is 21 seconds long https://vimeo.com/84262787

recording at 1504 wide is nice and easy for framing ha. I decided I will most likely just pick up a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera and give that a shot and see what happens :D

ap2enthu

jimharrison.film

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice.  I downloaded the latest nightly build and tried raw video with it.  It works fine but I get quite a few dead pixels.

I downloaded update 12 in this thread, but none of the modules will load with the latest nightly build.  I enable every one to load at the next start-up but they all say 'Err' next to them with 'Linking Failed' in the description.

Does anyone know the latest nightly build that works with update 12 or am I doing something wrong?

dmilligan

Quote from: jimharrison.film on January 17, 2014, 06:33:34 PM
Does anyone know the latest nightly build that works with update 12 or am I doing something wrong?

Just download and use the nightly (the whole thing, not just the modules). Those custom builds were for testing before 60D raw made it into the nightlies, now it's in the nightlies, so just use them. (Those links probably should just be removed from the OP).

PSimpso

Quote from: marekk on January 06, 2014, 08:52:21 PM
My new 60D raw video:

What Picture Style are you using when shooting raw? Are people usually using the Technicolor profile or does it even matter when shooting raw?