The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy kh

Yes we are still using raw2cdng. Thank q for the update chmee. Btw my 70D cant shoot 10/12 bit
5D Mark III - 70D

Tai.Fighter

+1 for metadata. Knowing the ISO, focal length, and aperture would be very helpful and seems to be the only thing missing that I can think of. Thanks again!

chmee

@zalbnrum
could you upload/post a small raw-file that shows this 1st-frame-bug?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

NoCp_Albert

@chmee

your raw2cdng 1.7.9. works very well, the only thing I missing the automatic Lens identification in ACR so is always one extra step to make the correction settings manual in ACR
EOS 5D3 -113,-123, EOS 7D2, EOS 400, Lens EF16-35 f4 L, EF35 f2 IS, EF85 f1.8, EF 24-105 f4 L, EF 100-400 L II, EF 600 f4 L, Samyang 14mm f2.8, Canon Tc 1,4III, Kenko Tc 1,4 DGC

domasa

Exported *.dng have alway fixed size 2,97 MB (Full HD 10bpp converted to 12bpp).
When I use Adobe DNG Converter 9.8 to exported files, new size is only +-1,5 MB.
Is it possible use more effective Adobe DNG Converter in this tool?

ibrahim

I am trying to import cDNG footage into Adobe Pr after editing them in Lightroom. Why are they not seen as modified after the import?
It is as if I haven't made any changes at all.  ???
I have used raw2cdng 1.6.5.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

dmilligan

Lightroom is a "non-destructive" editor. When you "edit" in Lr, all you are really doing is changing some metadata used by ACR to "develop" the DNG. You are not changing any image data. Premiere does not use ACR to develop DNG files (b/c ACR is slow and not intended for video)  and so therefore all of the ACR metadata you've created in Lr is simply ignored.

hyalinejim

Premiere doesn't use ACR to import DNGS as it's expecting cinema DNGs which are different to "photo" DNGs. The metadata fields where the Lightroom adjustments are stored are not recognised in the Cinema DNG format.

Your best bet is to import them as image sequences in After Effects, where ACR will open for each sequence. It will apply the settings of the first file in the sequence to the whole clip. From there you can export to a lossless codec and edit in Premiere. For maximum flexibility use Cinelog DCP to generate 444 log masters, rather than using ACR's controls which are adaptive and not absolute and therefore introduce flickering. So you have to be careful about most of the shadow/highlights/contrast sliders if you want to use ACR.

Alternatively put all the Cinema DNG clips in a sequence in Premiere and do the same in After Effects. Nest that sequence to edit in Prem. When you're done, do the colour correction in After Effects and import that comp into Premiere, placing it on the track above your first sequence. Your edit will now have your colour correction applied.

Neither of these workflows are particularly straightforward, or fast. Another option is to use Resolve to generate log masters, which is pretty fast. Set your timeline to Cineon gamma and Alexa gamut. But definitely don't colour your CDNGs directly in Premiere as its debayering is pretty poor. ACR gives best results but is very slow.

ibrahim

Thanks Hyalinejim.

That might be why I got terrible flickering while rendering from AE as a test sample. I already had a bit of flickering. I managed to find a plugin that removed it in Pr.

I am working on a green screen which I filmed in RAW. Since I use scopes while color correcting in Pr I only intend to color correct in Pr instead of AE. I find it much easier than AE which doesn't seem to have scopes.

For this purpose I wonder if I should first remove green screen, then denoise, then deflicker (flicker free plugin) and then color correct

OR

First denoise, then deflicker (flicker free plugin), remove green screen,  and then color correct

OR

Deflicker, denoise, remove green screen and at last color correct

OR

denoise, deflicker, then color correct and at last remove green screen.

I really need an expert advice since I having hard time maintaining the high quality of the footage intact.

I use 5d3 (1.1.3).
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Danne

Here is a little something which will output a more scene linearish output. Thankfully without flicker. To speed up acr workflow you can export in batches with AE command line options.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.msg172443#msg172443

ibrahim

I've been using raw2cdng 1.6.5 for almost 2 years now but since last week I not longer can export any MLVs  to cDNGs without getting green cast.
What is the reason behind this. I haven't made any changes to the settings on my 5d3 1.1.3.
Since I use 5d3 I select highlightfix and 16 bit nothing else is checked.
The same green cast results from v1.7.4.

StuartCox

Hi

I'm a new user of magic lantern and I did a few test shots of raw 2.0 mlv footage this morning. I've converted them in to cdng files in raw2cdng. But I can't get them into premiere pro! It's been frustrating me all day!
How do you guys do it?

Cheers, Stuart

ibrahim

Quote from: StuartCox on March 05, 2017, 07:20:33 PM
Hi

I'm a new user of magic lantern and I did a few test shots of raw 2.0 mlv footage this morning. I've converted them in to cdng files in raw2cdng. But I can't get them into premiere pro! It's been frustrating me all day!
How do you guys do it?

Cheers, Stuart

It should work with your premiere, which version of Premiere do you use?
Do you get a popup error of some kind or maybe you-re doing drag-and-drop which won't work. You'll have to import the cDNGs internally through the program itself using the browser.
I recommend using after effects if you want to work with cDNGs OR since CC 2015 came out use the proxy function which is great. Then you won't have to go through AE render and then import the prores/cineform/animation quicktime files to Pr for post-editing. Istead everything can be done in premiere with the proxy function. Just make sure to select a significantly lower resolution and choose something like gopro cineform on PC. And make sure you have enabled proxy function in your preferences. There are s of everal tutorials on Youtube on how to use proxies which I recommend for all ML users.

andy kh

Premiere pro cc supports cdng. Older version wil not support.
Open your cdng folder. You will see those cdng sequence. Click the first top one only, drag and drop it in your premiere pro media folder. It should work.
Warnin: dont select all the sequence or premiere pro will crash
5D Mark III - 70D

JackDaniel412

Hello guys, I have an issue with MLVlite files, the highlights of exported cDNG are pink, no issue with RAW files.
How can I fix it? v1.7.9

Thanks.

Surin Dmitriy

I tried 1.7.9 First frame is always black after convert to DNG(((
5D3

chmee

both @JackDaniel412 and @Surin Dmitriy
please check, if its fine with an older version. fi v.1.6.1

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2014/04/magiclantern-raw2cdng-1-5-0/

Surin Dmitriy

The last working solution without this bug is 1.6.5.
5D3

szafran

Hello chmee! Love to use raw2cdng!

I'm on canon 600d with 10bit RAW nightbuild.

Raw2cdng sometimes gives me GREEN output.

In about 1/7 of my clips it sets random black level. After 5 days research I found solution in fixing BlackLevel to 2048 in mvl_dump (--black-fix=2048 --white-fix=15000) or to set BlackLevel to 128 in MVLProducer. But i like raw2cdng best and would love to use only it!

I downloaded early raw2cdng ver 1.6.1 - it doesn't support 10bit, but there is HIGHLIGHT FIX box.
Is there a way to put BlackLevel FIX inside? I know I'm not alone with that problem, it would help us all:)
I also think that a play button in preview window would be so practical! - than we would see which take is less shaky and convert only that one.
It would save hours of rendering unwanted clips and another hours of watching them and than deleting from a hard drive:(

I'm sorry for my english;)
I am very grateful for your work -
For the creator of this converter (you are awesome!) and all ML community - thanks for making it possible.

chmee

@szafran
it seems, this has to be fixed :) so, give me some days.. (then i will look on firstframe-bug as well. please use all the latest ml-firmware for those errors. maybe it was an early-version-bug inside the ml-firmware)

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

spe42

Hey now, I'm trying to install this thing on my mac (running mavericks) using wineskin winery (granted I know absolutely nothing about what I'm doing...)—I performed a test run, and it produced two .txt files, one indicating that it could read the contents of raw2cdng, and another saying that:
QuoteThe entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationFramework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. assembly:PresentationFramework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 type:<unknown type> member:<none>
Idk how much of this information is needed (if at all), but here's the result of the test:
QuoteWineskinX11: main(): argc=12
Waiting for startup parameters via Mach IPC.
WineskinX11: do_start_x11_server(): argc=12
Attempting to use pixel depth of 24
[258379.097] WineskinX11 starting:
[258379.097] X.Org X Server 1.13.0
[258379.097] Build Date: 20120921
[258379.098] _XSERVTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.X11-unix will not be created.
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension XTEST
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension SYNC
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension PseudoramiX
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension RENDER
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension RANDR
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension RECORD
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension XVideo
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[258379.101] Initializing built-in extension GLX
[258379.101] x: 0, y: 0, w: 1280, h: 778
[258379.115] (II) GLX: Initialized Core OpenGL GL provider for screen 0
[258379.115] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/75dpi, removing from list!
[258379.116] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/100dpi, removing from list!
[258379.116] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/cyrillic, removing from list!
[258379.116] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/misc, removing from list!
[258379.116] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/OTF, removing from list!
[258379.116] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/Speedo, removing from list!
[258379.116] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/TTF, removing from list!
[258379.116] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/Type1, removing from list!
[258379.116] [dix] Could not init font path element /opt/X11/share/fonts/util, removing from list!
[258379.223] noPseudoramiXExtension=0, pseudoramiXNumScreens=1
Engine Used: WS9Wine2.6
Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
      Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
      Processor Name: Intel Core i5
      Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
      Number of Processors: 1
      Total Number of Cores: 2
      L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
      L3 Cache: 3 MB
      Memory: 4 GB
      Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B0C
      SMC Version (system): 2.2f44
      Sudden Motion Sensor:
          State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
      Type: GPU
      Bus: Built-In
      VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1024 MB
      Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
      Device ID: 0x0166
      Revision ID: 0x0009
      Displays:
        Color LCD:
          Display Type: LCD
          Resolution: 1280 x 800
          Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
          Main Display: Yes
          Mirror: Off
          Online: Yes
          Built-In: Yes

Can somebody help me out step by step, or point me to some resource or whatever? Thanks.
the wrong man for thhe wrong job

dmilligan

This app uses WPF, you won't be able to use it on a Mac.

spe42

Quote from: dmilligan on May 16, 2017, 01:29:44 PM
This app uses WPF, you won't be able to use it on a Mac.
So, at the mono project website (http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/wpf/) it says:
QuoteSilverlight implement a subset of the WPF APIs and is available on Windows, MacOS X and through our own open source effort Moonlight it is available on Linux and other Unix systems.

Silverlight does not have all the capabilities of WPF, but both technologies are converging API-wise.
I found a tutorial online, seemingly, about how to get silverlight working in wine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3q9ECt1rAg), will that work?
the wrong man for thhe wrong job