[SOLVED!] Dead pixels - Hot pixels - Banding in RAW recording

Started by crazypig, May 23, 2013, 08:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazypig

Please be sure to follow the instructions of a1ex to help solve this issue.
See the quote below and read this post

Sorry Sir, this is my first post in here...

Using 5D mark III
Magic Lantern May 22nd(807981e)
in 1920X1080 25P 14-bit raw

It will show in different place in different frame
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze1khq9t9h2fnyd/23-5-2013%2014-04-01.jpg?v=0mcn
https://www.dropbox.com/s/72ohlah4n7cuubh/23-5-2013%2014-06-00.jpg?v=0mcn

Quote from: a1ex on May 24, 2013, 08:37:02 AM
Okay, I'll fix it if you do the pixel peeping part.

5D3 bin: autoexec.bin

for (int type = 0; type < 100; type++)
    {
        /* from lv_af_raw -> lv_set_raw_type(arg0 ? 4 : 7) -> MEM(0x2D168) = a bunch of values, default 34 */
        MEM(0x2D168) = type;

/* this enables a LiveView debug flag that gives us 14-bit RAW data. Cool! */
        raw_lv_request();
        msleep(50);

/* after filling one frame, disable the flag so we can dump the data without tearing */
        raw_lv_release();
        msleep(50);

/* update raw geometry, autodetect black/white levels etc */
        raw_update_params();

/* save it to card */
        char* fn = silent_pic_get_name();
        bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 0, 60, "Saving raw type %d, %d x %d...", type, raw_info.jpeg.width, raw_info.jpeg.height);
        save_dng(fn);
    }

Take a picture to reset the file counter.

Then, hit "don't click me" to try these raw flags (they are related to bad pixel handling).

Then, write down for each picture type whether it has bad pixels, banding, vertical stripes and whatever else you can find.

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a1ex

Try a sensor cleaning; if that won't fix it, you are out of luck.

Technically is possible to mark the bad pixels, but it's not a priority for me. Canon's bad pixel engine is already turned on.

crazypig

but the light pixel only appear in some moving shot...

full dark and full bright will not happen..

crazypig

I find the early build don't have this problem

14th MAY build OK
17th MAY build OK
21st MAY Build Fail
22nd MAY Build Fail
May 22nd(240050c) Fail

crazypig

1%

I think FPS override affects the defect manager engine. Get lots of hot pixels at low fps + the bands.

crazypig

Quote from: 1% on May 23, 2013, 04:49:43 PM
I think FPS override affects the defect manager engine. Get lots of hot pixels at low fps + the bands.

But it doesn't happen in early build (like 14 or 17 build )
Those screen capture are same setting with different ML only (14, 17, 21 and 22 build)

1%

It happened before raw even existed. On 5d3 you just never had a build that pushed the camera.

crazypig

Quote from: 1% on May 23, 2013, 05:56:40 PM
It happened before raw even existed. On 5d3 you just never had a build that pushed the camera.

what is the different with 17th MAY build and 21st MAY build?
the color pixel just appear from 21st MAY build...

1%

Dunno, I have a 6D and the same noise patterns you're seeing in all LV images. Newest builds which turn on defect detection make it better.

It appears to be affected by ISO settings if you look in that thread. With FPS override I found turning down ML gain helped it go away.

crazypig

Quote from: 1% on May 23, 2013, 06:30:33 PM
Dunno, I have a 6D and the same noise patterns you're seeing in all LV images. Newest builds which turn on defect detection make it better.

It appears to be affected by ISO settings if you look in that thread. With FPS override I found turning down ML gain helped it go away.

I tried iso 100 or 1600...also have same color pixel on DNG files....
NOW I am using 17th MAY Build. color pixel go away...

sergiocamara93

Quote from: Picture and Color on May 23, 2013, 06:59:33 PM
My latest! Comparing H264 Technicolor Cinestyle to ML Raw. Highlight recovery, curves tweaked slightly in Adobe Camera Raw. No other correction applied, and no post sharpening applied. Didn't touch cinestyle H264 footage at all because frankly, it's no longer pleasurable to tweak compressed footage. Camera settings were identical for each set of shots.

Shot on May 22nd build, on 128GB Komputerbay 1000x.

My write speeds have gotten slower with the May 22nd. I can no longer hit 70MB peak at all and struggle to maintain 64MB/sec needed for 1920 x 840. Most clips have at least one dropped frame. I use CF workaround which seems to help. Global draw fully off.

Vimeo is set to 1080p, so please give it a second to load and then hit fullscreen. The parrot shots and the clocktower shots are my favorites in terms of showing off the power of the extended DR and color corrective capabilities.

As other user (stevefal) reported, this video shows the pixel issue (1:03, right side of the zipper, a big area including hair). I'm sorry but those don't look like dead pixels to me. We would be talking about a lot of dead pixels and very poor testing/manufacturing which I think it¡s not the case. It happens along all the video, if you pay close attention to almost any area, hot blinking points appear: in 0,54 the letters have tons of them. I think some of them even move with the letters.

I insist on the issue because I believe they are not hardware defects but data corruption/noise but I might be wrong.
5D Mark III

bass1012dash

MAy 23rd build, still hot pixels. confirmed 17th working fine.

Interesting side effect to which change I wonder... ?

bass1012dash

squig

Is there anyone else who isn't getting the random pixels with any of the builds since the 17th? I haven't noticed it in my footage so I'm wondering if maybe there's some camera function that might be triggering it.

noisyboy

Just spent a bit of time testing . Not conclusive yet but it's looking like the build on 6D from 15th May doesn't have issue compared to latest build I'm using. Again though - need to test more to be sure.

Just to add - I checked and it's not chroma noise. I'll try and share some crops when I've slept :P

noisyboy

Yep - definitely a difference in builds. Doesn't exist in older version. Don't worry though - 1% is on the case as soon as he finds time between the bazillion other things him and the other Dev's are sorting :)

1%

The only difference seems like aewb was auto turned off in those builds? Thats all I can think of.