550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoda

Um...quick question to everyone.  Has anyone tried using the "Q" button to set their view. As 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080?  Seems I'm able to record longer times and my live view covers way more real estate.  Pretty good stuff.  I'm looking forward to checking out some new stuff. Recorded today!

BrotherD

Quote from: Yoda on October 25, 2013, 01:04:41 PM
Go to Home Depot website.  Type in this:

EcoSmart 30-Watt (120W) Bright White CFL Light Bulb (1-Pack)

Great bulb, gives off yellowish color, which doesn't matter because when recording in RAW...white balance can be over ridden to suite ur flavor.  What matters is the 2100 lumen outputs.  More lumens = lower ISO = less noise + better shot.

One other thing.  If u can get one, the EF-S 10-22mm lens should prolly be the best lens u can use for wide screen and decent RAW filming.  The pure wideness of the shot will make up for the extreme cropping that takes place say when u do 960x540 or 1280x320.  However, with that in mind the price u spend on that lens could net u a 50D which has a much bigger memory buffer and screen output.  Decisions.....

Home Depot have those bulbs for $10 per bulb. Schiller's Camera rent that Canon 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 lens for $20 a day. If you pick it up on Saturday and return it Monday by 5:30 its still only $20. I read better reviews on the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8. The t2i raw crop factor is challenging and one of the reasons I'm getting a 50d.

Yoda

Ok, total fail on trying the 1280x720 test.  I know why now, and will retest tomorrow.  1) when viewing in Live View, even on 1280x720, your live view screen is bigger than 1280. So if you set your screen aspect ratio bigger than 1280 (say 1600 like I did) your shot will look stretched and deformed.  Booo, and double boo because this should've been obvious up from. It's what I get for helping engineers debug complex transactional middleware infrastructure and then try to shift into camera mode. 

Moving on....

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: Rewind on October 16, 2013, 06:23:16 PM
We are shooting dual ISO on 550D's for about a couple of months.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.msg69853#msg69853

Rewind, have we been successful? Last time I tried this a month ago, I couldnt get the output to convert. Every time I recorded something and tried to convert it, I got the message "this is not interlaced ISO" or something along those lines.

I'd be interested in testing it again.

Rewind

Quote from: telecastDaveRI on October 26, 2013, 05:15:25 PM
Rewind, have we been successful? Last time I tried this a month ago, I couldnt get the output to convert. Every time I recorded something and tried to convert it, I got the message "this is not interlaced ISO" or something along those lines.

I'd be interested in testing it again.

Works perfectly for me

Yoda

Anyone have any success doing slow motion with 550D?

I tried doing 60fps override, but I only got 24fps.  I used "exact fps" method.  Only 24fps was captured.  boo.

Rewind

Quote from: Yoda on October 26, 2013, 08:42:34 PM
Anyone have any success doing slow motion with 550D?

I tried doing 60fps override, but I only got 24fps.  I used "exact fps" method.  Only 24fps was captured.  boo.

Go to Canon menu and set the Video System to NTSC, then in video tab choose 1280x720p 60fps

Yoda

The only problem with that approach is that when I go to record, my pictures always get stretched horizontally, and then I have to stretch vertically in post to fix.  When I restretch vertically in post, it seems to pixelate regardless of where I perform this (e.g. Quicktime, FCPX, etc).

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: Rewind on October 26, 2013, 06:18:47 PM
Works perfectly for me

Rewind, sorry to bother you.

So, dual ISO...then, do you use ETTR? Or no?
And which application do you use after that? I know that a1ex recently created the cr2hdr_exp.exe. Or were you having success with the "older" cr2hdr.exe?

Just curious if I am missing a step here, or if I am just using the wrong programs/approach. Thanks in advance.

Yoda

Btw folks, I shot a short film yesterday.  Here are the details and the link.

Frame Size:  1152x490 (gets about 30 seconds recording time)
Aspect Ratio:  2.67:1 (I think)
24fps
Lens:  17-40mm f/4.0, 40mm f/2.8
NLE Project size:  1280x720

Note:  I experimented with some post grading in some of the shots.  The ones that are pixelated heavily should just be ignored.  I also tried using a suitcase as a dolly on pavement.  Too jittery.  Outside of that, I need to work on my sharpening technique in post production, and get a steady cam for less motion jitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38xeDdjgn0

BrotherD

Quote from: Yoda on October 28, 2013, 12:51:30 PM

Frame Size:  1152x490 (gets about 30 seconds recording time)
Aspect Ratio:  2.67:1 (I think)
24fps
Lens:  17-40mm f/4.0, 40mm f/2.8
NLE Project size:  1280x720

Note:  I experimented with some post grading in some of the shots.  The ones that are pixelated heavily should just be ignored.  I also tried using a suitcase as a dolly on pavement.  Too jittery.  Outside of that, I need to work on my sharpening technique in post production, and get a steady cam for less motion jitter.

I just did a test of my old 13 year old $100 stabilizer and the $20 DIY stabilizer I built a year ago. Here is the T2i raw non-edited footage from the DIY stabilizer. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpObiVl3-0&feature=youtu.be     

Easy build based on this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTRbGXJvrA

Yoda

Looks fun, but I'll buy a real one.  Plus I'm about to upgrade to a Black Magic Cinema Camera.  At $2K...the price is unbeatable for camera performance, and I can spend the extra $1K in building a rig that I'd have to spend for a 5D Mkiii.

BrotherD

The DIY stabilizer is perfect for the T2i. In order here's my upgrade list: 50d, wide lens, glidecam.  When I upgrade to the 5diii it will be sitting on that Glidecam.

prabhath.mp

Hi All,

I was thinking of upgrading my camera probably next year, however, I wanted to know which camera would give more RAW resolution?

I was considering 60D (I tried finding 50D in my locality, however, there were none).

I have a budget constraint, so I cannot consider buying pro-cameras such as 5DMkIII/5DMkII/7D and others.

Please, could anyone advise? :)

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
Knowledge enhances by sharing!
Every moment is a new learning experience!!
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

Rewind

Quote from: prabhath.mp on October 29, 2013, 09:55:31 PM
I was considering 60D...

No no, 60D has only 21MB/s SD controller. 650D for example will be much better. It beats 1280x720 continious easily. I have one and i'm shooting at 1536x640 usually.
Check this out: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0;topicseen

prabhath.mp

Quote from: Rewind on October 29, 2013, 10:39:37 PM
No no, 60D has only 21MB/s SD controller. 650D for example will be much better. It beats 1280x720 continious easily. I have one and i'm shooting at 1536x640 usually.
Check this out: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0;topicseen

Hi,

Thanks for sharing some really good/need to know information.

That was helpful. I was searching for a video on Youtube to check quality of RAW video from 650D, however, in video below, there was a reference to some problem of 'pink pixels' while recording RAW. Has this been resolved? :)

Also, on the official post, some are referring to 700D being a better option. Is that also true?

Thanks for your advise.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
Knowledge enhances by sharing!
Every moment is a new learning experience!!
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: prabhath.mp on October 30, 2013, 08:14:57 PM
RAW video from 650D, however, in video below, there was a reference to some problem of 'pink pixels' while recording RAW. Has this been resolved?

This is the pink dots problem, caused by the new sensor. The solution is the fix it in post.
If you do a search of the forum for pink dots then there is a whole board on it that explains how to get rid of them, and that should be helpful ;)
But that's the only way.

Anakin

Hi there.. i have an issue trying to record raw in Sandisk 16gb 200x 30mb/s. Only capture 95 frames in 960x360. I dont know what to do... its the same that i was capturing in a kingston 8gb class 4 card. I bought this card today because 550D, as you know, doesn't capture more then 20mb/s.
BTW thanks for all this, you are making a revolution.. greetings

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Anakin on October 31, 2013, 11:59:33 PM
Hi there.. i have an issue trying to record raw in Sandisk 16gb 200x 30mb/s. Only capture 95 frames in 960x360. I dont know what to do... its the same that i was capturing in a kingston 8gb class 4 card. I bought this card today because 550D, as you know, doesn't capture more then 20mb/s.

Do a card speed test check on it. It's probably a slower write speed than read speed.

CITY-U1001

50D | EFS 18-55 | last build crop_rec-3744x1080_24fps_50D-eXperimental.4.57pm.2020May06.50D109.zip

dafassi

Another example: Using the walimex pro fisheye (8mm)

mine85

Quote from: Yoda on October 28, 2013, 12:51:30 PM

Quote from: dafassi on November 01, 2013, 01:24:55 PM
Another example: Using the walimex pro fisheye (8mm)

Epic ML raw goodness! I can clearly see problems if y'all had shot the same via .h264 (Limited dynamic range, overblown sky highlights etc) good stuff.
@Yoda Is scaling up done automagically by setting up the NLE to 1280x720? Thanks!
5d Mark III, 550d, EF 50mm f/1.8

mine85

Hey guys.
Have any one of you tried out Hunter's LUT on your 550d DNGs? https://vimeo.com/67970827 Just stumbled upon it & I'm thinking of using it as a"Colourist self improvement" weekend project & post the results here next week. :D Who's in?

5d Mark III, 550d, EF 50mm f/1.8

BrotherD

Quote from: Anakin on October 31, 2013, 11:59:33 PM
Anakin what are your camera's raw settings?

Anakin

Thanks ItsMeLenny... it was that... I tested, read at 30 m/s write at 8.75 m/s.  Sd Card: Sandisk Ultra 16gb Class 10

A capture of the test...
http://imageshack.us/f/593/ap4h.png/

What sd card do you recommend?