550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NedB

mk11174: Thanks again for the newest (FIX2) build, and for your answer re: build environment.

Just tested out FIX2 and for me at least, 960x408 gives me only 85 frames instead of continuous, while 960x402 gave me a couple of hundred before skipping a frame. So raw performance seems to be just a hair worse with all this stuff enabled, as you probably suspected. Tested this with Hack on and off and with Global Draw on and off. FYI! Look forward to reading about your continued experiments. Cheers!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

mk11174

OK, here is the Raw Rec bin with more more features and Auto ETTR, may crash 1 st try or randomly cause memory filled, but I only had it happen once first time using it, but just expect, just trying to get as many features going as possible.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/37ag5vd6z7mm4vj/ML_Raw_fps_ETTR.rar

On this one Hack on seems to help get 960x408 going for me like it was before adding stuff back.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

telecastDaveRI

"fix2" worked great for me at a couple resolutions at least for several seconds or so.

The new features added and autoETTR - not as much success. This buffer issue (I assume)  is really hindering any success with any significant amount of data.

As said before however...really appreciate your diligence mk11174!!

tackyattack

Quote from: mk11174 on May 25, 2013, 11:14:48 PM
Anyone interested, I enabled a bunch more things, I think it is at its max though, but seems to run the same as before  :D

http://www.mediafire.com/download/akpnykdda78e9ua/ML_RAW_FPS_FIX2.rar

By the way, this is from the latest changeset as well so all up to date.

Awesome! I am having trouble installing it though. When I try to update to the FIX2 firmware, I get the following message:
"Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again."

Thanks!

moscow

Quote from: tackyattack on May 26, 2013, 02:44:06 AM
Awesome! I am having trouble installing it though. When I try to update to the FIX2 firmware, I get the following message:
"Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again."

Thanks!

Just replace the files on your SD Card (with installed ML v2.3) using PC.
:)

internetjoke

Does anyone know if the sd write limit is controlled by the hardware or the software? surely the answer to faster write speed is still buried in the firmware somewhere? Because 20m seems kinda slow?

aombk

Audionut

Quote from: internetjoke on May 26, 2013, 06:45:17 AM
Does anyone know if the sd write limit is controlled by the hardware or the software?

It's a hardware limit.

qsara

Quote from: mk11174 on May 26, 2013, 02:09:00 AM

http://www.mediafire.com/download/37ag5vd6z7mm4vj/ML_Raw_fps_ETTR.rar

I've just installed the version and switched to movie mode, when I zoom in camera crashed

here is the log;

ASSERT: dwDeadLine != 0xFFFFFFFF
at LVState.c:5842, task LiveViewMgr
lv:1 mode:20

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013May26.550D109
Mercurial changeset   : b1b83dc89db7+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-05-25 23:53:21 by magiclantern@magiclantern-VirtualBox.
Free Memory  : 265K + 1977K

mk11174

Quote from: qsara on May 26, 2013, 09:22:16 AM
I've just installed the version and switched to movie mode, when I zoom in camera crashed

here is the log;

ASSERT: dwDeadLine != 0xFFFFFFFF
at LVState.c:5842, task LiveViewMgr
lv:1 mode:20

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013May26.550D109
Mercurial changeset   : b1b83dc89db7+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-05-25 23:53:21 by magiclantern@magiclantern-VirtualBox.
Free Memory  : 265K + 1977K
Yeah, there will be errors till we can get more memory to turn on all features.

qsara

now I've captured a minute long scene with all the features off except RAW Video, seems fine, on render at After Effects

moscow

Quote from: qsara on May 26, 2013, 09:32:57 AM
now I've captured a minute long scene with all the features off except RAW Video, seems fine, on render at After Effects

what a resolution?

qsara

Quote from: moscow on May 26, 2013, 09:35:04 AM
what a resolution?

not extreme, 960x320 is enough for some situations, now trying to get more speed with different SD card

internetjoke

Does anyone actually know the download speed of the usb port? Is it usb 2.0? The speed should be up 400mbs???

3pointedit

Download is read speed isn't it? Anyway doesn't ML benchmark your card (CF or SD) to get average write speed. Doesn't matter what the spec is, just what the card/camera can really do.
550D on ML-roids

qsara

Quote from: internetjoke on May 26, 2013, 09:52:21 AM
Does anyone actually know the download speed of the usb port? Is it usb 2.0? The speed should be up 400mbs???

even with Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s 550D can reach max 18MB/s on USB 2.0, so it doesn't matter if you use a SD card or USB cable. we know what we can make out of 550D theoretically, but we're bounded with hardware limits..

pavelpp

I am not getting any stable video on Exceria 60MB/s sd card. Regardless of the resolution I choose frames start dropping very fast. With the smallest possible crop it shoots for some time then camera goes to a sleep mode and when I wake it up rec module is unloaded and settings are not saved...

qsara

Quote from: pavelpp on May 26, 2013, 11:06:55 AM
I am not getting any stable video on Exceria 60MB/s sd card. Regardless of the resolution I choose frames start dropping very fast. With the smallest possible crop it shoots for some time then camera goes to a sleep mode and when I wake it up rec module is unloaded and settings are not saved...

Adjust camera sleep interval at

Toshiba exceria pro cards can handle data flow at extreme rates, other exceria cards not stable. they have incredible speeds on their spec sheets but I advice you to use at least Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s on 550D with RAW video.

pavelpp

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: CFP on May 25, 2013, 05:00:15 PM
I get the best results with the following settings:

- "Pic Quality" set to "SRAW"

Maybe the "Pic Quality" trick doesn't work on the 550D? It should increase your "shoot_malloc total" if you set it to "SRAW" and then reboot your camera.

The Canon 600D had 74 Megabyte buffer for shoot_malloc. A1ex did something ... Now it's only 68 Megabyte - Without "Pic Quality" trick!
With it set to "SRAW" it's 96 and it was 104 once. If you want to know how much your 550D has, go to "Debug" menu and press "Q" on "Free Memory". As far as I know "shoot_malloc total" is what you're looking for.

Where is to set this "SRAW" parameter ? Canon or ML ? And where ? Many thanks !
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

dlrpgmsvc

I can confirm also: no more playback problems with the latest "ettr enabled" (and Others features enabled inside) release from MK11174 ! I updated the "state-of-the-art" head post of this thread. Great, guys !  ;D
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

pavelpp

Can anyone point me to instructions for combining dng's into a video? What's the workflow with open source tools?

mk11174

Geez!!! I can't even find the dump for the cam, I read that there are tools for it, but I must be looking in the wrong place, cause am I wrong or do we use the canon firmware now? When I did on a3300 for chdk I had to dump the firmware and use that. I don't even know if I will figure it out, but I am trying for sure.

Or is the dump tool in debug.c? I remember something about ROM0.bin etc...? Anyone know?

moscow

Quote from: pavelpp on May 26, 2013, 01:18:39 PM
Can anyone point me to instructions for combining dng's into a video? What's the workflow with open source tools?

Drop your RAW file into Raw2Dng.exe, then you will see how dng files extracting from your raw file. After it, open Adobe After Effects and select first dng frame (like 000001.dng), then click on - RAW Sequence and click OK. You will get video sequence.

pavelpp

I don't have adobe after effects. Is there another option?