550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenlenz

Excellent progress mk11174  ;D Nice one!

If the offer of sharing your bin is still available? I'd love to have a look. Many Thanks.

ifkey

sandisk extreme 45mb/s
960x540 18 fps no skip frames
this is max for 550d?

dlrpgmsvc

@mk11174 : can you share with me your latest modifications and procedures on how to enable raw video and disable modules, so I can help you to solve the memory problem ? Many thanks !
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

mk11174

Alls I did was go into all_features in the/src and comment out anything not really needed and once it worked cause of having enough memory, I uncommented fps to get that going again.

This gets it working as good as it should be, but the only true fix is for someone to figure out how to get more memory available like 1% said so we can enable all of ML features with it.

But for now you can have fun and just use 2 bins, 1 with it and 1 without it.

There is nothing left to do really until someone figures the mem issue out.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

wolf

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 24, 2013, 02:06:41 PM
@mk11174 : can you share with me your latest modifications and procedures on how to enable raw video and disable modules, so I can help you to solve the memory problem ? Many thanks !
There is no need to disable modules, because raw_rec is a module.

mk11174

dlrpgmsvc

aombk

mk11174 can i try your bin too? i dont know what feature to disable

NedB

mk11174: awesome news! Are you able to share your build with another 550d tester? If not, do you have an ETA for your work to make it into the Nightly Builds? In any case, great work. Cheers!

NedB

P.S. Can you also share the "Modules" folder or a link to where it can be downloaded? Great!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

mk11174

For anyone else that wants to try anyway.
Just Raw_rec, no FPS  = http://www.mediafire.com/download/28yp9iaad5ep8qy/ML_Raw.rar
Raw and FPS added back = http://www.mediafire.com/download/b866nsqwokaeqq8/ML_Raw_FPS.rar
Raw and FPS added but took out a couple more things just to see if better results on capture. = http://www.mediafire.com/download/u8kdos53mkows9c/ML_RAW_FPS_FIX.rar

Remember, don't expect to see all of ML great features in the menus, the camera can't handle all at once yet so most are turned off to get this to work for now. So keep your other bin as a 2nd.

wolf

@mk11174: Thanks for sharing.
I can get max 720x406 resolution. Maybe more with a better card?
Well, it's better to blow up DNG then h264.

Great :-)

mk11174

Quote from: wolf on May 25, 2013, 12:49:27 AM
@mk11174: Thanks for sharing.
I can get max 720x406 resolution. Maybe more with a better card?
Well, it's better to blow up DNG then h264.

Great :-)
Yeah, you should be able to I guess, my best res is 960x408 and works steady I captured a 1200 frame clip and decided to stop it cause it worked fine. Panning worked fine to. The hack thing does not seem to help anything. I have a 45 MB/s Sandisk Extreme 16GB

dlrpgmsvc

Bad news. As expected, the bottleneck is the SD controller inside 550D ! I tried with a Sandisk Extreme Pro Class 10, 16Gb, 95Mb/s : same results: max res without skipped frames is 960x408 at 24fps ! Sorry boys ! However a great achievement !

Bad news 2 : when playback the latest movie capture, my 550D shows a messed-up flickering screen then no more commands are accepted, you must switch off, but red led is on, and if you switch back on, camera is frozen with red led on, you must put out the battery and then reinsert it, then switch on again and all is ok. Do you experiment the same problem ? How to solve it ?

moscow

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 25, 2013, 02:01:58 AM
Bed news. As expected, the bottleneck is the SD controller inside 550D ! I tried with a Sandisk Extreme Pro Class 10, 16Gb, 95Mb/s : same results: max res without skipped frames is 960x408 at 24fps ! Sorry boys ! However a great achievement !

Bad news 2 : when playback the latest movie capture, my 550D shows a messed-up flickering screen then no more commands are accepted, you must switch off, but red led is on, and if you switch back on, camera is frozen with red led on, you must put out the battery and then reinsert it, then switch on again and all is ok. Do you experiment the same problem ? How to solve it ?

Yeah, same problems.
Also, how can I open the RAW as frame sequence? I have one big RAW file on my SD Card, but when i try to open it in After Effects (CS 5.5 / 6) nothing happens. Same in Photoshop / Lightroom (One big gray frame with noise).
Thanks in advance!
:)

derkiki

Thanks 11174!!

@moscow you have to use the raw2dng app for mac linux or win.

internetjoke

Quote from: moscow on May 25, 2013, 02:11:17 AM
Yeah, same problems.
Also, how can I open the RAW as frame sequence? I have one big RAW file on my SD Card, but when i try to open it in After Effects (CS 5.5 / 6) nothing happens. Same in Photoshop / Lightroom (One big gray frame with noise).
Thanks in advance!

I think playback is only flickering in live view. If you change to one of the photo settings on the dial and then play back it doesn't flicker

moscow

Quote from: derkiki on May 25, 2013, 02:22:29 AM
Thanks 11174!!

@moscow you have to use the raw2dng app for mac linux or win.

Thank you!

antoinecormier

First of all, I would like to thank you guys for all the effort you put into this project.
I've done some tests with your bin mk11174, and everything worked as expected (960x408 max at 24 fps, 1280x300ish at 17fps with override..)

Too bad, because the results with the 1280 (3:1) ratio were very wonderful ! And If you like shooting at a (very) wide ratio, It could be an amazing feature. When the RAW is scaled to 1920x640 It gives us a sharper image than the 1920x1080 H264 and RAW benefits.
The 960's resolutions miss a bit more sharpness to my mind.

Unfortunately, If I'm understanding well, It only has to do with the SD controler inside the 550D, that means that the only way (for the moment) that could help us is the "14 to 12 bits" experimentations ? Am I right ?

(I apologize for my pretty weak english, I'm french :/)

mk11174

Yeah, I would reccomend not bothering with playback cause so many features are disabled that might have something to do with it, just use for recording cause after extracting with the raw2dng.exe the clip sequence is fine. Main thing is we get to record in raw.

internetjoke

Does anyone know how to make more custom resolutions or ratios? Is this possible? Bearing in mind still keeping under the card write limit.

qsara

Quote from: mk11174 on May 25, 2013, 03:08:12 AM
Yeah, I would reccomend not bothering with playback cause so many features are disabled that might have something to do with it, just use for recording cause after extracting with the raw2dng.exe the clip sequence is fine. Main thing is we get to record in raw.

how about separate images, is it really hard to record like that? another question, we can do almost anything with this cameras but we're still in the boundary of 4GB file limit, how can we break it? I've tested your bin on my 2 550Ds and I think I must sell my 550Ds and buy a 5D Mark III, or wait for a real HDR 1080p Uncompressed video recording Canon camera :)

mk11174

I don't have anything to do with how the raw rec works, the developers here made it so they would be the only ones who could answer those questions, I don't have any knowledge how it works and am not a programmer, I just used trial and error to free up our memory to make it work for us, but no matter if they find the extra memory so we can use full use of ML and the raw rec, it wont change how Raw rec works, its the speed limit of our cam. We are stuck with it. And the Raw2DNG.exe is how everyone is extracting the RAW files, this is the way they built it. No idea if they plan to find a differ way.

For us it seems, if you want 24fps video, we have to just think of only getting standard def video and 720x480 or 640x480 not expect any more. or shoot 960x408 and blow it up to 1280x720, cause even blown up, it might get a bit softer, but the idea of being able to fix the overall levels of your video without messing the colors or brightness up like what happens when you try to fix up h.264 from the cam, well, that is so nice, and no compression artifacts to deal with either is nice as well. It just depends on what your using it for I guess. Just cool to have another feature to play with as far as I am concerned.  ;)

moscow

The idea looks good. But the bandwidth speed of 550D does not allow long record with this quality.
Low resolutions: virtually no sense to use it. Large resolution: Maximum of 30-60 frames and then buffer is filled.
Missed shots will not be needed to use.
Here is small test:

mk11174

Anyone interested in seeing the files I edited to get there build to compile to have same results as I got, here are the files so you can see the changes, I added a install.txt just so you know where the files are found or go if you just replace them.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vff8h5omvl9qmio/ML_RAW_MODS.rar

mk11174

Quote from: moscow on May 25, 2013, 04:12:11 AM
The idea looks good. But the bandwidth speed of 550D does not allow long record with this quality.
Low resolutions: virtually no sense to use it. Large resolution: Maximum of 30-60 frames and then buffer is filled.
Missed shots will not be needed to use.
Here is small test:
Nice to see the detail you get compared to H.264 sux the 550D has a slow SD controller.  :(