5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bronson

mvejerslev

Hazer,

>Disabling all stock Canon screen overlays via the "info" button

Assuming 5DII, could you explain what you mean by canon overlays and how to disable? Thanks!

Never mind.. Live View mode..
5D Mark II, PC

Hazer

Yep, 5D2 -- sounds like you've figured it out, but yes, when in Live View just cycle through the "info" button until all the Canon graphics go away.  In my case this makes the difference between between short clips and unlimited filming at 1720x960.

ted ramasola

I'm testing build may 27 for 5d2 file  bfd891fe53ab.zip   and here is my observation so far.

The delete feature is a nice feature but currently it is very risky.

scenario:
Shoot several clips raw video, say clip 1 2, 3.
Go to ML menu>raw video menu>video file (this shows NO VIDEO FILE as default)
Click SET to show first clip, M0000000.RAW,
Say you want to delete 3rd clip so you turn the main scroll wheel to go to M0000003.RAW
then you ROLL down to select DELETE then press SET to delete video size but file remains but 0kb in size. This is ok for now, also note WAV file remains unchanged and not deleted.

But here is the risk,
While selection in still in DELETE if you happen to roll the TOP SCROLL WHEEL, the clips be DELETED 1 by 1. ! THIS IS RISKY as you think you are selecting the clips but in fact they are already deleted without warning.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a.d.

You are right. I'll remove the delete function for now until we have a better concept.

ted ramasola

Quote from: a.d. on May 28, 2013, 08:55:21 AM
You are right. I'll remove the delete function for now until we have a better concept.

Thank you for your prompt reply a.d.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Manonthemoon

I am getting the bad, stuck color pixel problem from the 27th build on my 5DII, but I do not have that problem when I go back to the 24th build. I have not tried the 28th build yet so I do not know if that addresses the issue. Not sure if anybody else is having this problem but just wanted to say something.

a.d.

I've just tested to take about 5 shots with around 300 frames from yesterday build and I have no corrupt frame so far.

1%

QuoteYou are right. I'll remove the delete function for now until we have a better concept.

Just have it delete the last file and leave the chunks alone I guess... either way file manager works now.

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on May 28, 2013, 08:48:42 PM
Just have it delete the last file and leave the chunks alone I guess... either way file manager works now.

Yes, I agree with this, after a take, when you know it was bad after review, its logical to have it delete last file only.
Though ideally it would be a nice feature to be able to select and delete. And ideally the wav as well.

a.d.

I prefer the joystick press for raw record rather than the star since there are 3 buttons beside each other and easy to confuse.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a.d.

@1%
The file browser is great
@ted
Do you think, it's better than the LV Button?

mvejerslev

I think the joystick is better than the LV button. Because the LV button has a logical function already, and because I can reach the joystick button with my thumb with my hand in regular position - the LV button is waaay over on the other side of the camera!
5D Mark II, PC

ted ramasola

Quote from: mvejerslev on May 28, 2013, 09:05:07 PM
I think the joystick is better than the LV button. Because the LV button has a logical function already, and because I can reach the joystick button with my thumb with my hand in regular position - the LV button is waaay over on the other side of the camera!

mverjerslev is correct on this reason.

The LV button is so out of the way. The Joystick is near the thumb and in certain situations a shooter can choose between h264 (SET) or raw (JOYSTICK).

For handheld run and gun shooting, the joystick is logical.

Many shooters shoot barebones, just handheld with a Vfinder.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a.d.

agree with mvejerslev and ted! I also have my problem with the LV button!  ;D
On the other hand the joystick is in conflict with the panning mode!

a1ex

All cameras use the LiveView button for recording, except 5D2. Since the module code is designed to be portable, I don't see an easy solution to this, other than also adding the SET button as an alternate REC button.

Edit: took a closer look, and I can't just define BGMT_REC as BGMT_PRESS_SET without breaking the SET button.

1%

+1...Set is doing too many things already. 600D/6D/everyone else uses LV for H264.

mvejerslev

'Set' and joystick press is not the same thing on 5DII. Set is in the middle of the wheel, the joystick is above the wheel and have a press function as well. Works well with the 'alternative' raw build.
5D Mark II, PC

ted ramasola

Quote from: mvejerslev on May 28, 2013, 09:30:18 PM
'Set' and joystick press is not the same thing on 5DII. Set is in the middle of the wheel, the joystick is above the wheel and have a press function as well. Works well with the 'alternative' raw build.

This is correct and was convenient when it was implemented on an earlier build.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Hazer

+1 on *not* using the LV button for recording.  Maybe I'm missing something, but this makes it impossible to turn off live view to save power when raw recording is enabled.  i.e. Hitting live view always triggers recording.  The Pravdomil build solves that problem elegantly with the joystick.

Between the joystick and the AF button, I'd prefer the AF button.  I have accidentally triggered raw recordings when simply using the joystick to check focus in 5x/10x modes.  The AF button would be a much more solid press with less room for error.

a.d.

Panning mode on: Joystiq
first click stop the motion, second click center the window

It's late now, tommorow I'll do the two hacks. I hope we'll get more people to talk.

mvejerslev

I think the panning mode is a bit crude. Is anyone using it? Enough for it to take up a button?
5D Mark II, PC

ted ramasola

Quote from: mvejerslev on May 28, 2013, 10:34:50 PM
I think the panning mode is a bit crude. Is anyone using it? Enough for it to take up a button?

I agree. This is too fancy to be useful like built in filter effects. I agree this should not be a priority over using it for record activation.

The joystick is approximate to the start/stop buttons of newer cams like 7D, 5D3, etc.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Raelic

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 28, 2013, 09:10:09 PM
mverjerslev is correct on this reason.

The LV button is so out of the way. The Joystick is near the thumb and in certain situations a shooter can choose between h264 (SET) or raw (JOYSTICK).

For handheld run and gun shooting, the joystick is logical.

Many shooters shoot barebones, just handheld with a Vfinder.

Only downside I can think of to the joystick is the fact that it is also used for panning when in the zoomed mode for raw recording (slow pans etc). I would not use the Joystick to start and stop recording for this reason alone being one might accidentally bump it and stop recording. Just my 2 cents.

Raelic

Quote from: mvejerslev on May 28, 2013, 10:34:50 PM

I've used the panning mode actually, and it is pretty nice. I would not like to see this overwritten as a record alternative.

marten

Quote from: Hazer on May 28, 2013, 10:16:01 PM
Between the joystick and the AF button, I'd prefer the AF button.  I have accidentally triggered raw recordings when simply using the joystick to check focus in 5x/10x modes.  The AF button would be a much more solid press with less room for error.

Please, don't use the AF button :) It's really helpful to me when I quickly want to set focus before I shoot.

To turn of the LV mode I just turn the program dial to either c1, c2 or c3. Don't think I have anything special programmed to them, but it turns of the LV mode.