6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Yeah - it sucks that you can't get a true representation of what your actual framing will be like so I could never really use it for say a directed scene with actors and dialogue but with cutaway shots that are say gonna be used in a montage of footage (ie a wedding/live event etc) it works great :)

Emanuel

Happy to hear you're gonna post a new video Noisy . This was the 1600x670 i was able to get about 5 seconds at the time with the Trancend card - i'll have the 95 Sandisk soon - so i'm hoping this would double

CharlieA56

Out of ignorance question...

Anyone can help me understand why (on the 6D) the 10x Live View Zoom activates when I try to make manual focusing ?
Thanx for any clarification.
Canon 6D, Canon 60D, Canon T2i & Canon T1i

noisyboy

You have "zoom with focus ring" activated in the magic lantern menu under "LiveView Zoom Tweeks".

8)

noisyboy

Quote from: Emanuel on July 07, 2013, 08:44:01 PM
Happy to hear you're gonna post a new video Noisy . This was the 1600x670 i was able to get about 5 seconds at the time with the Trancend card - i'll have the 95 Sandisk soon - so i'm hoping this would double

Nice work man :) Some nice shots in there. Also nice to see you haven't obsessed over pulling back highlights outside the windows in a shot or two and instead have exposed correctly for inside. All to many videos out there that people are making their shots look terrible by under exposing and then pulling the highlights and shadows real far apart just because it's raw and they can! That's what power masks are for ;)

1%

Heh, grayscale preview should show real framing in zoom mode, otherwise the box is pretty decent. While recording yea, framing is a problem in crop modes.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on July 07, 2013, 10:23:09 PM
Heh, grayscale preview should show real framing in zoom mode, otherwise the box is pretty decent. While recording yea, framing is a problem in crop modes.

Will there ever be a fix for this?

noisyboy

Ah! Didn't realize that about grayscale!  - must have passed me by. Thanks dude!

When you say the box is pretty decent, do you mean you can get a framing box in zoom mode? Probably getting the wrong end of the stick but I thought that wasn't possible due to ML not being able to draw overlays in zoom mode?

Hmm... just realized grayscale doesn't turn gray for me - just clears all overlays... Been a while since I updated though (can't remember what version I'm currently on) so I'll update to latest version and have a play :)

xNiNELiVES

Yeah I knew about grayscale but I thought it was broken because it didn't change the color or framing. Or so it seems. Does grayscale essentially takes away the white box and makes the white box the full screen?

Since I bought a 5D2 and sold my 6D, I was wondering, will the install of ML almost be the same? I'm guessing its not required to have the firmware updating steps...

Do I just:
1) Add the files from ML to the CF card
2) Make it bootable with EOS card
3) And boot?

Or do I have to flash the firmware with ML on it to unlock the bootflag first?

1%

It clears while recording if you turn GD off. Otherwise the gray image should be the entire frame.

5DII : You still have to boot flag the camera (fir) unless someone did it before you.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on July 08, 2013, 02:45:00 AM
It clears while recording if you turn GD off. Otherwise the gray image should be the entire frame.

5DII : You still have to boot flag the camera (fir) unless someone did it before you.

Ok thanks.

noisyboy

Ahhhh okay! So GD needs to be on for grayscale preview to work?

1%

asombrir

Is 60 fps available yet in raw for 6D? I saw some footage of the 5dIII doing it and loved it so I wanted to make sure I had not missed it somewhere with the updates.

1%

You can do 60FPS but there isn't a lot of bandwidth... it will be small.

asombrir

Ok thanks @ 1%, I wanted to use some 60fps on this next gig but I think I can go without. I am hoping to film an entire music video in raw with my 6D that I was hired to film next week. Need to order some more SD cards today!

classicjoe

Quote from: noisyboy on July 07, 2013, 06:09:26 PM
Already bored 1% with the details but just got back from holiday and had tonnes of fun shooting with a 15mm lens and zoom mode for shooting raw! Get pretty close to shooting normally with a 50mm and has no noticeable distortion due to only using the center of the lens! Anyway - if nobody has tried yet you should have a play with zoom mode and be totally amazed at how well it takes sharpening and pulls out loads of detail without it looking artificial! Seriously! Never seen sharpening work so well and do so much without crapping all over my footage! Don't be put off by how crappy it looks in Live View either. It WILL look better on your NLE. I'll upload a vid when I get a couple hours!

Peace  8)

Hello everybody, I have received my brand new 6d a couple of days ago and I've been playing around with ML since then... I've read the instruction manual but haven't found out yet how to shoot raw in zoom mode using the center of the lens. Could anyone please teach me how to do it?

noisyboy

Hey man! All you do is zoom into 5x or 10x zoom mode with the zoom/magnifying glass button an then record :)

classicjoe

Quote from: noisyboy on July 09, 2013, 06:58:23 PM
Hey man! All you do is zoom into 5x or 10x zoom mode with the zoom/magnifying glass button an then record :)

But which one is the real sensor crop (1:1), 5x or 10x?

kgv5

5x and 10x is the same, it only looks different on LV but when you play the footage back its the same mode.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

classicjoe

And what about the "separate waw" audio recording mode? is it possible to use it or not?

1%

Yea but it might be aligned to 25P. Not really w/ raw though because its already short bandwidth.

William Dio

Hi guy!

First things first, I just went through the whole discussion and I can only say that YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

I've had my 6D for a few months now and I think it (and I) are ready for ML. I just want to be really sure of what I've read so far: I can, providing I have the right DS card, film in RAW format continuously (for about 4 or 5 minutes) in 1504x640. Considering that a lot of the TV shows we had in the past few years were shot in 720p and then upscaled to 1080 without most people noticing the difference, that's plenty for me and I can live with that resolution for the time being. This is in 2:34 and I really love it but just out of curiosity, is there a resolution higher then 1280X720 that would give us 16:9 in continuous shoot?

I'm also not quite clear on the 5X zoom thing. Is it ultimately better to shoot in 5X or can we still produce fine image without the zoom?

On a side note, I plan to record my sound using a Sennheiser mic plugged into an H4N attached to the camera (or the shoulder mount). Have you guys tried working with that kind of rig? Do you know if there's anything better then the (now ageing) H4N?

I plan to proceed with the operation on my 6D in the next few days. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks again for everything you guys are doing for us.
He who controls information controls the universe.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: William Dio on July 10, 2013, 04:30:55 PM
Hi guy!

First things first, I just went out through the whole discussion and I can only say that YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

I've had my 6D for a few months now and I think it (and I) are ready for ML. I just want to be really sure of what I've read so far: I can, providing I have the right DS card, film in RAW format continuously (for about 4 or 5 minutes) in 1504x640. Considering that a lot of the TV shows we had in the past few years were shot in 720p and then upscaled to 1080 without most people noticing the difference, that's plenty for me and I can live with that resolution for the time being. This is in 2:34 and I really love it but just out of curiosity, is there a resolution higher then 1280X720 that would give us 16:9 in continuous shoot?

I'm also not quite clear on the 5X zoom thing. Is it ultimately better to shoot in 5X or can we still produce fine image without the zoom?

On a side note, I plan to record my sound using a Sennheiser mic plugged into an H4N attached to the camera (or the shoulder mount). Have you guys tried working with that kind of rig? Do you know if there's anything better then the (now ageing) H4N?

I plan to proceed with the operation on my 6D in the next few days. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks again for everything you guys are doing for us.

There is definately higher resolutions possible in 16:9 format than 720p. I don't know exactly what resolutions are possible, someone else here will have to tell you that.

I don't really know what you mean by how the 3x mode makes a finer image. All I can tell you is that the horizontal resolution in 1x mode is limited to 1808x12xx (I forgot what is the max vertical resolution). 3x crop mode doesnt have these limits.

As far as sound recording goes the h4n is from what I know one of the best consumer audio recorders. The h6n is coming out though and it's supposed to be pretty good. I'm waiting for it.