600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

For those cameras you would have to go into shoot malloc after changing settings and see what gives the most memory.

Those numbers make my cry. 600D at least sraw worked (it was the most). On 6D nothing works, only can get less memory.

CFP

But at least the 6D has no 21 Megabyte/s write speed limit ;)

I'm still hoping to get at least the 104 Megabyte buffer size back and maybe even some lossy compression ... But I know that the 600D is by far one of the worst cameras for raw video.

Poor 1100D guys. I bet they have something like a 10 Megabyte/s write speed limit and 50 Megabyte shoot_malloc ;D

1%

I think 550D is the worst actually... worse than 500D and no 4gb files. But we are like 2nd worst.

CFP

True ... The 550D guys don't even have the option for "SRAW" :)

(I think somebody should try to give it back to them. They are really screwed with their 68 Megabyte shoot_malloc, aren't hey?)

I'm curious: I have no skills in any programming language other than Java and PHP/HTML. But is this actually important? From what I'm reading here I've got the impression that everybody who has an idea of some technical stuff can help with porting and improving Magic Lantern (And I mean not just by testing your amazing work ;D). Is that correct?

(If not, which language(s) are required?)

1%

Its C++ and assembly but if you know ANY programming you can probably figure it out pretty quickly.

apefos

Ok, I did the exFAT format and reinstall ML, now the new build is working.

848 x 478 16:9 records without magenta frames at 24fps, but frames skips, something about 1 frame in each 200 frames ( I got 6 skip frames in 1200 frames record).

I did try SRAW, RAW, all canon resolutions in canon menu, fps override, everything... (sandisk extreme 45MB/s)

So my conclusion is: 840 x 472 will be the maximum resolution for 16:9, it is 2% less datarate so it will avoid the skip frames

It would be good idea to enable it. probably it is the final tweaking for 16:9 maximum resolution in 600D

1%

840 won't work.. some of the widths produce pink/static frames.

I'm recording at 920 just fine and even some 11xxx with different aspects. For a slow card yea, I guess keep it like 800 and add more height till it starts screwing up. Also 2nd record usually gives more frames.

apefos

I did try successive recordings in 848 x 478 and frames skips... so no solution in the 2nd or 3rd recording session.

I think the sandisk extreme 45MB/s card is fast enough, the limit is the camera buffer.

the 800 x 480 (more height) works, but it is not 16:9, so we are ending at 800 x 450 16:9 at this moment.

what about to try: 842, 840, 838, 836, 834, 832... until find the best possible? in raw each pixel counts for upscaling...

I am just trying to help finding best possible 16:9 for 600D raw...

CFP

@ apefos: I think you're doing something wrong.

Like I said: I can record ~ 2000 frames in 960 X 540 without any skips and about 40 magenta frames. With Edmac Popin build I could reach the 4 GB limit (Which is no real limit. I just don't use exFat). If you can't get that, your settings are wrong or your 600D is just worse than mine.

How big is your buffer? ("Debug" tab - Hit "Q" on "Free Memory" - "shoot_malloc total" is what you're looking for.)
Are you sure that you've rebooted your camera after you set "Pic Quality" to "SRAW"? And are you sure that you don't record sound?

jhall07

I get 960x540 no frame skips no magenta frames with a sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s 32gb card.

I can also do the 1280 x 400 no frame skips, global draw off, with any of the recent builds.

apefos

hi guys, many thanks...

my malloc total is 96M, can I increase it someway?

I was not rebooting after changing to SRAW, I did not know it was needed. now the buffer shows <***> instead of <**>

things are working much better now!!! 960 x 540 is working!!! that's amazing!

do you think is it better to let canon menu in 1920 x 1080 24p or would be better to set it to 640 x 480 25p + fps override to 24p?

MANY THANKS!

vicnaum

Quote from: apefos on May 28, 2013, 09:32:35 PM
my malloc total is 96M, can I increase it someway?
do you think is it better to let canon menu in 1920 x 1080 24p or would be better to set it to 640 x 480 25p + fps override to 24p?

Half of this thread is about dev-guys finding a way to increase it :)

Yes, sure 640p with fps override 23.976 (or something near) is needed. Maybe that's your problem also.
And Global draw OFF.

Viente

Quote from: vicnaum on May 28, 2013, 09:35:40 PM
Yes, sure 640p with fps override 23.976 (or something near) is needed.

Why? Whats the difference?
Please explain  :)

1%

YUV buffer is slightly smaller in 640P so it is slightly better... dunno if that is negated by having to use FPS override or not. Hacked mode both turns off global draw and shuts down YUV buffers.

apefos

Thanks again.

I did a 2220 frames recording at 960 x 540 in SRAW, canon menu set to 1920x1080 24p, global draw off, hacked mode off also.

I also can record 1120 x 468, 2.39:1 no problems (did a 1200 frames record)

800 x 600, 4:3 also works, great for anamorphic

No magenta frames (not even one), no frames skip (not even one), WOW!

(one suggestion: 832 x 624 is the maximum possible resolution for 4:3 now, great for 1,33x anamorphic adapters to get 16:9)

CFP

Quote from: apefos on May 28, 2013, 09:32:35 PMmy malloc total is 96M, can I increase it someway?
What do you think setting "Pic Quality" to "SRAW" has done? It should have been 68 Megabyte and by changing the "Pic Quality" setting and rebooting the camera you've already increased it. If you want to get even more, just use one of the old builds where we had 104 Megabyte.

But obviously you'll have to sacrifice some of the new features.

Well. I'm glad I could help. Hopefully 1% can concentrate on more important things than adding these uselss 8XX width resolutions ;D

@ 1%: Since I wanted to learn C++ anyway I'll see if I can start with it this weekend and help you improving this awesome firmware addon some day :)

N/A

Love the new naming system of the files. Gonna shoot a short music vid with this in a couple days, wish me luck lol.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Viente

Here is my VERY quick and hand shaky RAW test. Shot with Helios 58mm/f2 in 1280x544 (ISO 640)

The quality of original uncompressed file is very different. The compression is just killing it  :(

I'm so happy with the results! The latitude is amazing!

http://vimeo.com/67164473

Uploaded in original resolution so better to switch Vimeo scaling to OFF

1%

QuoteWhat do you think setting "Pic Quality" to "SRAW" has done?

Crash some canon things using memory or shrink the memory available to photo processes.
Look at the FW dump and try to do some more... I don't think we have to sacrifice any features, just lower memory usage for canon... so maybe cripple photo mode more or something like that.

leefie

:-\
I can't get the raw video to create files.
I have 2.3 plus the nightly build (5-29-13) plus the Tragic Lantern build (800 Fileman)
I keep getting "File Create Error" and record doesn't run. I can shoot regular ML video no problem.
I have a fast card (Sandisk Extreme Pro 10).
I've turned off all enhancements and ML options except raw video and set the size to the minimum.
I've also changed RAW to sRAW in the shoot menu.
But just can't get it to shoot video :-(
Have I missed something obvious?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
leefie*

N/A

Format your card to exfat, then make it bootable with eoscard or macboot (or re-install ML normally). Put the nightly back onto the card and copy/paste whats in tragic lantern 2.0 to the card. Modules folder goes in ML folder
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

vicnaum

Quote from: leefie on May 29, 2013, 06:45:35 AM
I have 2.3 plus the nightly build (5-29-13) plus the Tragic Lantern build (800 Fileman)

Hm... I never installed ML nightly builds... just Tragic Latern over ordinary latest 2012 build.
Is nightly necessary?

I also have "File create error" with [600D] 800Fileman.zip.

Tried the latest nightly build from 29 May, but same.

Card is formatted exFat.

Roman

Okay yep after a bit of playing around I've got mine recording at 20.5mb/s constant with no dropped frames. woot!

(Havent looked at the footage yet though)

So instructions are:

1. Download the latest nightly build onto a card, from here:
http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/

2. Go to https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/downloads
and download the latest file - currently [600D] 800Fileman.zip as of 29th May.

3. Copy the contents onto the SD card root directory, then move the Modules and Scripts folders into the ML sub folder.

4. Put the SD card into your camera, and switch it on. In the Canon menu, set the video resolution to 640x480.

5. Press the trash can button to load Magic Lantern, and scroll across to the 5th menu, 'Shoot'

6. For Pic Quality select Sraw

8. Scroll right to the last menu Modules and select Load Modules now

9. Scroll back to the Movie menu and select FPS override and select 24fps.

10. Scroll down to raw video and click Set

11. Press Q to load the raw video sub menu - select 960x540 resolution (or whatever resolution suits your card speed)

12. Hacked mode - on

Now switch to movie mode on your camera, and press the record button to enable live view if necessary - then press record again to start recording a raw video. All going well, with the SRAW setting you should have three dots/stars for your buffer, instead of two.

If I've missed anything as per above, let me know!

1%

LFN should be going in the next build so no more file create errors.

deleted.account

A quick question I've asked on the 550d thread but no answer, should we be shooting in video mode or photo mode with 550D and 600d cams, does it make any difference? Freeing memory well, I'm limited to 21.5MB/s and achieving no pink frames or drops in 1000's of frames captured, so query is more about 'quality of feed' line skipped or crop, apart from the obvious resolution restriction.

Currently I'm having great success recording 960x408 2.35:1 no drops to exFAT in either Photo (set to RAW)  or Video (set to 1920x1080 24fps) mode.

What I'm getting at is the 16GB of raw files I shot the other day in video mode line skipped lower quality than I would have achieved in photo mode?

Sorry if it's a dumb question but this site's like a freaking rabbit warren of threads, plenty of how to build this and that for raw but not so much how to actually use it. :-)