GoPro CineForm Studio Premium/Pro Settings for 5D3 RAW Video

Started by Jake Segraves, May 17, 2013, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: pind on January 03, 2014, 11:00:31 PM
Hi all and thnx for great work!!

Can someone be so kind and make a video (youtube or vimeo) tutorial for us noobs with not that much experience in computers

I use canon 5D3+ Latest nightly build 3.1.2014 and shoot video in raw and  not in raw.mlv (i think sound is not working in those latest builds)

Option 1

- i have used   RAW 2  cinemadng converter (made by chmee) and in 3 days i ended up with 450Gigz of data on one of my data HDDs
-after i get cdng i import in Davinci Resolve 10 lite and add bmd film (color space) and bmd film  (Gamma) then select all clips and adding 3D LUTs
-exporting from davinci resolve to Premiere and  and render to final export

Option 2

with   Ginger directly import raw files from 5d  mk3 into PremierePro CC or Lightroom for ACR fast color adjustments

Option 3

with Adobe Dynamic link use dng files in Adobe Speed Grade and export to Premiere pro for final export

Option 4

I would like to try GoPro Studio with Raw2cineform but it looks like hard time geting those dng with this command prompt  for me

so i am asking is there some one who can make GUI for this?

Thank you all

It is very simple to use @pind. Just, open prompt, and call to RAW2GPCF (paste on C:\ , for example). Example to do:

[on windows  :-\ ] > Win+R > cmd > cd /d C:\ > RAW2GPCF

"cd /d" is command to go on the directory.

After this, will "printf" help list. For use, put the files names first and parameters after. Other example:
//in this example input file is called "test.raw" and output is in .avi, so "test.avi". Parameters in "teal"

call RAW2GPCF > test.raw test.avi -444 -d4 -q5

Enter this and software will work...

Canon eos m

Quote from: DANewman on December 12, 2013, 11:04:22 PM
I have updated RAW2GPCF to support larger Log curves for a flatter look.  Previous only -l255 was the largest, now up to -l65535 works, although -l900 is the highest recommended.

http://miscdata.com/ML/RAW2GPCFv114.zip

Hi David,

When I use the new version of the raw2gpcf (v114) with the -c -f25 -422 command set, the pictures turn out darker than they do in the previous version of raw2gpcf. Is there anything I can do about this. Another thing, how does one get a hang of all the features and command instructions that come up on the command prompt page. Some of these will require some more explanation for folks like me - absolute beginners.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

Quote from: 1% on June 22, 2013, 07:45:22 PM
I tried latest on 50D footage.. its perfect... will have to see how 6D does. I feel comfortable deleting the 50D raw file.

Funny, I feel the same - now that I am beginning to get a hang of this stuff!
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

DANewman

Quote from: Canon eos m on January 05, 2014, 08:16:28 AM
Hi David,

When I use the new version of the raw2gpcf (v114) with the -c -f25 -422 command set, the pictures turn out darker than they do in the previous version of raw2gpcf. Is there anything I can do about this. Another thing, how does one get a hang of all the features and command instructions that come up on the command prompt page. Some of these will require some more explanation for folks like me - absolute beginners.

Is it a lot darker?  What options are you using?  I few versions go I started using the black level offsets from the .RAW bitstream, that would have made a change, but hopeful for the good.

As a beginner I'm surprised you are using the -c (Cineon) switch, which even I don't use. I prefer the default (GoPro Protune), or a log curve like -l400 (which requires GoPro Studio version 2.0.)

Canon eos m

I am just aping the command set. Will use it no further. Will help if there was a directory of commands available somewhere.

Canon eos m

Quote from: DANewman on January 05, 2014, 07:05:27 PM
Is it a lot darker?  What options are you using?  I few versions go I started using the black level offsets from the .RAW bitstream, that would have made a change, but hopeful for the good.

As a beginner I'm surprised you are using the -c (Cineon) switch, which even I don't use. I prefer the default (GoPro Protune), or a log curve like -l400 (which requires GoPro Studio version 2.0.)

-l400 is too aggressive. I liked using -g2.2 with -l150 - the result was a bit dark but the colour representation was superb (close to the original skin tones, etc.). Any way to lighten the picture other than using -lx since -l300/-l400 was too aggressive on the hair (with a lot of colour noise).

iaremrsir

Why not just use regular ProTune? The point is to retain data through compression, which ProTune does very well. Then inside studio if you want it flat, just set it to Cineon 95-685 or Log C. Oh and I wouldn't use -c option on conversion, it caused my footage to go to crap too.

DANewman

iaremrsir is correct.  You are not trying for the best look straight out of the conversion, but a good curve that preserves all your source image, that is easy-ish to color correct on top of.

iaremrsir

For some reason on this last revision of raw2gpcf black calibration crashes the execution.

EDIT: False alarm, sorry. I put a space in between -bc and the name of clip when I shouldn't have.

iaremrsir

Quote from: iaremrsir on January 07, 2014, 07:40:43 AM
Why not just use regular ProTune? The point is to retain data through compression, which ProTune does very well. Then inside studio if you want it flat, just set it to Cineon 95-685 or Log C. Oh and I wouldn't use -c option on conversion, it caused my footage to go to crap too.

I should also mention to make it flat, in addition to setting the output curve to Cineon or Log-C, you can set the matrix neutral. That way it'll work well with LUTs that expect a log input.

Canon eos m

Hi David,

Know that this is the canon-ml forum but since we are talking about common stuff -cineform/ prores4:4:4, etc. I though that my question may be relevant purely from a post processing perspective.

First the reason leading to the question / objective:

Reason - I just discovered that my Gopro Black Hero 3+ can do Cinema RAW. This gives another push to the capability and my use of the Gopro as an additional camera for multi-camera shooting. Previously, I was using the Canon EOS M with my 5DM3. But since I discovered the Gopro's capabilities, I decided to switch. This helps me keep the 5DM3 fixed on a tripod, while I move / glide along with my Gopro handheld and then combine the footage in Premier Pro CC. The problem is that that the formats are not compatible and post processing (grading) is almost impossible.

Objective: To grade the footage from the Gopro and 5DM3 to make for a seamless combined clip with brilliant output.

The only option that I could think of was to somehow convert both footage in prores 4:4:4 format and then combine for best quality. The problem is that I don't know how to do that. Began with learning how to use Speedgrade (I have the license for the CC version) but don't like the interface, then tried Gopro trial version of Studio Premium is not very exciting to use either. Then I discovered the Davinci Lite 10 and things are looking bright. However, I don't know what workflow to adopt.

I now use raw2gpcf to convert my 5D3 footage to cineform format. Want to do the same for the Gopro footage somehow (unless this footage is already in the same format. Then being the grading process. Once the footage is combined should be simple to edit the footage using the multi-camera feature in Premier Pro CC.

What say you?

Canon eos m

Quote from: DANewman on May 27, 2013, 04:08:54 AM
Yes, the resulting images will have baked color. Not a bad thing if you have all of the information you need to do your finish, but RAW in my opinion requires you to be able to restore back to everything the sensor read, giving you the greatest flexibility.   

I don't consider applying the demosaic as a necesary part of RAW. Consider the Protune CAM_RAW mode on GoPro HERO3 Black Edition (something I worked on,) that is about as raw as you can get in an H.264 file.  All the demosaic is applied in camera, but color matrix and white balance are applied in post, just like classic uncompressed RAW.

If there is enough interest, I will enable YUV or 444 development, without baking the color.  The only reason you might like 4:2:2 RAW, is that could run on the freely distributed GoPro CineForm Studio, just like Protune CAM_RAW works for GoPro users today.

This is what I need to understand better. Would be good if you could explain what compression could I apply to the 5D3 and Gopro footage to bring these on a common platform.

iaremrsir

iaremrsir

Quote from: Canon eos m on January 14, 2014, 01:35:07 PM
This is what I need to understand better. Would be good if you could explain what compression could I apply to the 5D3 and Gopro footage to bring these on a common platform.

I'd go to the guys of VisionColor and ask them to add GoPro Hero cams with ProTune Raw as an option to their VisionLog UCS. It enables the conversion of colors to match that of another.

Pashi

Guys, Cineform RAW is still not so sharp unlike Adobe CR in AE/LR and even DaVinci? Or with new GoPro 2.0 software it's do a better job? As I can see, ACR is the best way to go for now?

iaremrsir

Quote from: Pashi on January 15, 2014, 09:21:32 PM
Guys, Cineform RAW is still not so sharp unlike Adobe CR in AE/LR and even DaVinci? Or with new GoPro 2.0 software it's do a better job? As I can see, ACR is the best way to go for now?

CineForm Raw can be debayered by Davinci. So if you like Davinci's debayer, make Resolve your final stage and link with XML to the CF Raw files. ACR is too slow for me; Davinci is a happy medium between speed and debayer quality.

1%

If only it ran on my computer :(

This is hands down the fastest way to go from .RAW to a complete and playable video. If only there was a way to make AE de-bayer the cineform files.

iaremrsir

Quote from: 1% on January 16, 2014, 12:54:39 AM
If only it ran on my computer :(

This is hands down the fastest way to go from .RAW to a complete and playable video. If only there was a way to make AE de-bayer the cineform files.

Hopefully they implement the demosaic algorithms I showed them a while back. The licensing was compatible, so fingers crossed...

DANewman

Quote from: iaremrsir on January 16, 2014, 01:38:16 AM
Hopefully they implement the demosaic algorithms I showed them a while back. The licensing was compatible, so fingers crossed...

I still have tabs open to those links (thank you again), so it will hopeful happen, just need to find the engineering cycles.

Canon eos m

Quote from: iaremrsir on January 14, 2014, 08:10:28 PM
I'd go to the guys of VisionColor and ask them to add GoPro Hero cams with ProTune Raw as an option to their VisionLog UCS. It enables the conversion of colors to match that of another.

Will they accept request for a tailor-made request?

terranaut

are cf raw files supposed to allow the raw settings within resolve? for me they've always been disabled when importing cfraw files as either mov or avi into resolve.

my workflow for now is :
record as mlv (5dmkII) - convert to raw (mlvbrowsesharp) - convert to cfraw (raw2gpcf) - import to resolve

but the resolve raw panel is disabled, so i thought perhaps i could use gopro2pro perhaps to do the raw settings i cant use in resolve (temp, debayer, sharp), but any changes in gopro2pro arent reflected in resolve either. so if theres something i am missing to allow me to use cfraw files in resolve, and then use resolves raw panel, please let me know, thanks.

iaremrsir

Quote from: Canon eos m on January 19, 2014, 09:44:26 AM
Will they accept request for a tailor-made request?

They've been asking for them. http://vision-color.com/2013/11/18/announcing-visionlog-ucs/

Quote from: terranaut on January 19, 2014, 04:24:07 PM
are cf raw files supposed to allow the raw settings within resolve? for me they've always been disabled when importing cfraw files as either mov or avi into resolve.

my workflow for now is :
record as mlv (5dmkII) - convert to raw (mlvbrowsesharp) - convert to cfraw (raw2gpcf) - import to resolve

but the resolve raw panel is disabled, so i thought perhaps i could use gopro2pro perhaps to do the raw settings i cant use in resolve (temp, debayer, sharp), but any changes in gopro2pro arent reflected in resolve either. so if theres something i am missing to allow me to use cfraw files in resolve, and then use resolves raw panel, please let me know, thanks.

No, Resolve reads the raw data, but doesn't let you manipulate it. You can, however, use the Resolve fix and just make raw changes in Studio. If you decide to go the non-fix route, you'll get Resolve's debayer, but you'll have to fix white balance manually.

iaremrsir

Just got the new update:

Quote2.0.1.317 (23 January 2014)
UPDATES:

Enhanced RAW format support

Updated third party camera support

Bug fixes and stability improvements

Can you give quick explanation of what these are please?

iaremrsir

Also, will it ever be possible to use Adobe DCPs (Digital Camera Profile)?

DANewman

I'm not familiar with Adobe Digital Camera Profile, is that a standard?