RAW Video Post processing (raw2dng) [Mac/Win/Linux]

Started by g3gg0, May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agora1

To Renato Photo AND ALEX
I search for about 8 hours and I am very disappointing I respect all the procedures before I post.
I do the something for windows not only mac .I know ML work hard but before announce 14 bit raw video  make sure we can work
with a minimum of functionality.
I noT VABLE TO WORK WITH RAW FILE 4GIG SO I CAN SHOOT ONLY FOR FEW MINUTES.
SO I NEED HELP .WHO CAN HELP ME
THANKS

agora1

TO DRIFTWOOD,
I KNOW YOU HAVE MAKE FANTASTIC PATCHES FOR THE GH2 CAN YOU HELP ME?
MANY THANKS

a1ex

FYI, this is what we annonuced:

Again. This is EXPERIMENTAL, so:
- bloody beginners and non-geeks should not touch the whole thing. wait until it is "beginner-proof". we will tell you on the website.
- you know that you are a bloody beginner, when you read the whole thread and you still cannot get it to work.
- DON'T be disappointed if it doesn't work or we figure out the whole thing is unstable and/or unusable
- NO, there is no manual yet
- NO, there is no all-in-one tool that fits every use case
- NO, we don't have tutorials how to use it
- NO, not all models are supported yet ;)
- we are just at the moment testing how good it works and what we have missed and what to improve
- you are welcome to post comparisons, experiences (both good and bad), or even deep analysis or just cool videos
- if you are a programmer and you see potential for improvements, grab the source and support :)

squig

Quote from: agora1 on June 01, 2013, 01:42:26 AM
I noT VABLE TO WORK WITH RAW FILE 4GIG SO I CAN SHOOT ONLY FOR FEW MINUTES.
SO I NEED HELP .WHO CAN HELP ME
THANKS

Don't shout.

Maybe this will help-
http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898
http://www.cinema5d.com/?p=18065

The easiest way around the 4gig limit is to ex-fat format your card.

Please don't double/cross post.

lmf

5.5G of RAW video can not be transferred with RAW2dng.exe DNG sequence,Is there any way around this?
This is the picture link
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2jTfLSVyAKkeHlsbXBWdGZrVzQ/edit

My machine is 60D, using the UPDATE # 6:
Compiled 31-05-2013
  with LV_AF_RAW (not recomended but removes dead / hot pixels)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HdscXfsKpgaGJXOEJGaGRXaUU/edit?usp=sharing

christaylor

Hello,

this may seem like a silly question- I've looked around and can't seem to see much in this direction, I see there's a linux raw2avi bash script, but I can't see how to get DNG files out.. DNG is what interests me, not avi... Most of the conversation is Mac and Windows based, if anyone could explain how to basically do the raw2dng part of the workflow in linux, that would be really really helpful..

Thanks for all the work everyone is doing!

togg

I have a little question. With raw video is it worth it to use pro res 4444 or 422 HQ will be enough?

Danne

Quote from: togg on June 01, 2013, 08:59:58 PM
I have a little question. With raw video is it worth it to use pro res 4444 or 422 HQ will be enough?

I transfer to prores 422HQ. For me it,s enough. I even started working with converting to either jpeg or tiff, importing to premiere pro. Means I can do basic coloring in lightroom which I really like.
//D

togg

Quote from: Danne on June 01, 2013, 11:18:44 PM
I transfer to prores 422HQ. For me it,s enough. I even started working with converting to either jpeg or tiff, importing to premiere pro. Means I can do basic coloring in lightroom which I really like.
//D

Thanks a lot for the answer :) I'll try all of that in a few days.

squig

You have to test and judge for yourself.

squig

Quote from: agora1 on June 01, 2013, 11:26:20 PM
TO; squig
THANKS BUT I KNOWS THESE LINKS
IF I FORMAT MY COMPACT FLASS TO EX FORMAT (I KNOW THE EX-FORMAT SUPPORT MORE THAN 4GIG)
SO THE UNIQUE SOLUTION IS TO WAIT AN UPDATE FROM ML ?
DO YOU AGREE?
THANKS

Reformat, enable the bootflag, and re-install ML.magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install See "Install ML on other cards"

And stop shouting!  ::)

togg

Quote from: squig on June 02, 2013, 02:38:06 AM
You have to test and judge for yourself.

You're right. I will have the chance to start testing in a few days.

random

QuoteHey guys,

When I'm transcoding DNxHD into MPEG-4 H264, it takes 1 1/2 hour and gives me a file of 1,30MB.

My settings are:
MPEG-4 with h.264 compression, quality 100%, multipass
frame size unscaled, 25fps, no frame blending/downscaling/interlaced scaling/deinterlace video

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: well, just put the multipass off and everything works fine and fuckin fast.  ::)  8)
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

budafilms

Quote from: Danne on June 01, 2013, 11:18:44 PM
//D

Using 4444 FROM TIFF you have a huge information if you gonna Color post. If you create from JPG the video have compensate the information and its the same Pro Res, HQ or 4444.

Maximum quality I Get was TIFF 16 bits  and exported as 4444.

(You have the option of uncompressed video, buy I think the life is very short).

eyeland

Apart from the very valid advice above (mostly concerning workflow and the extend to which you wish to retain flexibility all the way to the end) it also depends on your desired final output. I have always been rather frustrated with the compression used by services like youtube and vimeo but this could change in the future, so even if you only intend to use your video on the web, it could still make sense to save a HQ master for later re-uploads. (I remember reading about H265 being in development which could give us "much" better looking web videos?)
Maybe someone could find us a guide that deals with raw workflow in general so we can keep this thread focused on the specific workflow of ML raw?
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

pavelpp

Can someone please check if dng frame sizes are correct? I am getting smaller resolution dng's, than what I have configured in the camera (550d). So for 1408x480 video I am getting 1392x464 dng's ...

random

Quote from: budafilms on June 03, 2013, 08:15:47 AM
Using 4444 FROM TIFF you have a huge information if you gonna Color post. If you create from JPG the video have compensate the information and its the same Pro Res, HQ or 4444.

Maximum quality I Get was TIFF 16 bits  and exported as 4444.

(You have the option of uncompressed video, buy I think the life is very short).

When exactly are you exporting to TIFF 16bits? From AFX after loading the DNG's?
And how do you make a video then?
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

Danne

You can create 16-bit tiff from adobe camera raw or from after effects then import them to premiere pro and nest the whole bunch on timeline. It,s a pretty messy workflow since importing longer tiff-sequences will take a while.

Peter

Quote from: Danne on June 03, 2013, 11:39:49 PM
You can create 16-bit tiff from adobe camera raw or from after effects then import them to premiere pro and nest the whole bunch on timeline. It,s a pretty messy workflow since importing longer tiff-sequences will take a while.

Premiere Pro (at least CS6) doesn't support 16bit TIFF - "unsupported bit depth"

Kim.dh

What would be the most suitable file format for Premiere Pro be? 8-bit tiff?

Would be awesome if someone can provide a tutorial for dng -> mp4; including the optimal way to grade raw video, twixtoring lower fps and/or upscaling resolution.

budafilms

Quote from: random on June 03, 2013, 11:03:36 PM
When exactly are you exporting to TIFF 16bits? From AFX after loading the DNG's?
And how do you make a video then?

HI RANDOM,
- FROM ACR, Under the windows, you have to chosse the bits: 8 or 16. Make a click over the number.
- When you have all the folder save it (as Tiffs),  open in Compressor and export as you want.

If you work with 8 bits, When you export the footage from Compressor, the real information is in 8 bits transformed to 10 or 12 depends the codec you have choose. So, I recommend work in 16 and the Compressor downscale the bits to 10. I hope this help you  ;)

random

Quote from: budafilms on June 05, 2013, 05:16:02 AM
HI RANDOM,
- FROM ACR, Under the windows, you have to chosse the bits: 8 or 16. Make a click over the number.
- When you have all the folder save it (as Tiffs),  open in Compressor and export as you want.

If you work with 8 bits, When you export the footage from Compressor, the real information is in 8 bits transformed to 10 or 12 depends the codec you have choose. So, I recommend work in 16 and the Compressor downscale the bits to 10. I hope this help you  ;)

Great, thank you! Okay so I export a 16bit-TIFF sequence from AFX and then? How can I load and edit it in Premiere?
It gives me single TIFF-images after exporting.

Which compressor is recommandable for use? Transcoding to h264 (or anything) before loading into Premiere or afterwards?

If somebody just could give a short advice about his workflow, I'm getting crazy of all this :D

budafilms

Quote from: random on June 07, 2013, 12:12:09 AM
Great, thank you! Okay so I export a 16bit-TIFF sequence from AFX and then? How can I load and edit it in Premiere?
It gives me single TIFF-images after exporting.

Which compressor is recommandable for use? Transcoding to h264 (or anything) before loading into Premiere or afterwards?

If somebody just could give a short advice about his workflow, I'm getting crazy of all this :D

Random, H264 is not a good option to export your footage for the codec limitation. Forget it excepto upload a final video to internet. Before, for editing and color post, use a codec with more information as pro res, avi uncompressed to edit IN YOUR software like premire or better, final cut...

Regards

budafilms

RAW2DNG file 0,11 crete a filder called jpg empty. This is for what? prepare a folder to leave the files worked in ACR? Thanks.

scrax

Quote from: budafilms on June 07, 2013, 12:18:37 AM
RAW2DNG file 0,11 crete a filder called jpg empty. This is for what? prepare a folder to leave the files worked in ACR? Thanks.

If you are talking about raw2dng.app  it's a problem with the command used to generate the jpg, please post those bugs in the raw2dng.app topic or I'll see them only for luck.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-