RAW Video Post processing (raw2dng) [Mac/Win/Linux]

Started by g3gg0, May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnteddy

If anyone is interested, I just had a bash script put together for raw2dngOSX to automate the DNG extraction process. Read more and download here.

Personally, I've been using this, then Adobe Bridge's ACR and "Export to Hard Drive" function to create a JPG image sequence which I bring into compressor to create ProRes files. Not the most elegant workflow, but it's the best looking finished product I've been able to muster. As much as I love the speed of the Cineform workflow, I just can't bring myself to use it's terribly soft debayering. It's just so bad.

agora1

Hi, why for example in Photoshop they indicates only 8 bits
I know is 8,16,32 bits per channel so which software can tell us a
project is a 14 bits raw

pacman829

Quote from: agora1 on May 29, 2013, 04:54:59 AM
project is a 14 bits raw

you would have to process the files at 16 bit (or 32bit) in order to make use of all the raw data ..

There is no 12 or 14 bit setting, and if you set it to 8bit you loose a good amount of detail
5mkII User

3pointedit

raw2dng fails to write frames for me. Anyone else have a broken windows .exe or is it just me? :(
550D on ML-roids

peoplemerge

Quote from: agora1 on May 29, 2013, 04:54:59 AM
project is a 14 bits raw

At the bottom of my photoshop screen, it shows "8-bit" right?  It's a blue clickable link.  Change it to 16.  Then you output 16 bit tiffs 2x larger.  I did a visual inspection and I didn't see the difference between these which is a surprise.  I didn't take a file with subtle gradations like a sunset sky however and I know final grading that I would do thereafter would be more noticeable.

a1ex

Update: latest raw2dng should fix vertical stripes / banding issues in 5D Mark III.

Download from first post.

aaphotog

Having an issue, anyone else had this happen?
I go from .RAW file to raw2dng(even 0.9)
DNG's into photoshop ACR
Export out of ACR to 16 bit .TIF files
Open image sequence in 'quicktime 7 pro'
now heres where the problem occurs. When I export out of QT7 as ProRes 422 or lower quality, it's perfectly fine.
But when I try and export as 4444, the video seems to be blank. All of the other exports have a thumbnail, my 4444 exports have a black thumbnail and when opening in VLC, it won't open.
I've converted to 4444 many nightly builds and raw2dng's ago, a couple of times. Now, Im not sure whats going on.

Danne

probably codec issue. Vlc doesn,t play prores but premiere import the files just fine. Also viewable in quicktime. ProRes is mainly for editing I believe.

agora1

where I can found the latest raw2dng for mac

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: agora1 on May 30, 2013, 04:59:16 PM
where I can found the latest raw2dng for mac

You need to familiarize yourself with the Forum.

Please go to the Post-processing Workflow main board, then look at the already existing topics.  You will find:

raw2dng.app 0.10 Osx GUI development, bugs and updates

and also

MLTools (OsX utility to manage ML install, files import and scripts conversions)

Also make sure you read and follow the forum rules here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=934.msg1141#msg1141
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Danne

Hi! Has anybody come up with a workflow synching recorded audio together with the separated .raw moviefiles? Trying in premiere but I still can,t get the audio to synch. I,m at this build Magic Lantern May 29th(5419e04).
I tried setting fps to 24 manually and also through the canon menu but no luck. It drifts.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Danne on May 30, 2013, 06:14:23 PM
Hi! Has anybody come up with a workflow synching recorded audio together with the separated .raw moviefiles? Trying in premiere but I still can,t get the audio to synch. I,m at this build Magic Lantern May 29th(5419e04).
I tried setting fps to 24 manually and also through the canon menu but no luck. It drifts.

Please got this new thread I have created to further discuss this issue:

How to Sync RAW and Audio Issues
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5904.new#new
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Maximiliaan

I keep on getting this "Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file" error.
The footage was shot in a normal way. Any way to recover what's inside the .raw files? Mac.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Maximiliaan on May 30, 2013, 08:06:04 PM
I keep on getting this "Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file" error.
The footage was shot in a normal way. Any way to recover what's inside the .raw files? Mac.

Please do a search before you post.   Read the Forum Rules here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=934.msg1141#msg1141

Now press the Search button and type:   lv_rec RAW
and you will find an article: 

How to replace file footer, aka fix the Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

budafilms

A tip for OSX: I wrote to Apple about Apple Compressor because doesn´t recognize image sequences and original sizes. The solution when import image sequence was very easy: delete de first frame, because Compressor doesn´t recognize 00000.

For MAC USERS, you can import all the footage, from different shots, and export in the format that you want: pro res 4444, 442, uncompressed, resizes, etc. And Compressor use optical flow to get the file, that means better quality.

Las comment for Quicktime users: I don´t know why Quick Time 7 change de color that you work in ACR. That´s why you must color correct again the footage. In this case Compressor doesn´t have this problem.

Thanks!

carlostrator

Quote from: budafilms on May 30, 2013, 08:59:27 PM
A tip for OSX: I wrote to Apple about Apple Compressor because doesn´t recognize image sequences and original sizes. The solution when import image sequence was very easy: delete de first frame, because Compressor doesn´t recognize 00000.

Having the same issues... Searched a lot but with no success. JPEG's are ok, but TIFF won't work (QuickTime Error -50, on compressor).

Tell us what they replied, it should be able to work.

I'm using Compressor 4.0.7

blackroom

hi, sorry if i'm missing this somewhere but i can't find a dng extractor that works with 5D2 spanned files on windows. tried the 5D2 raw2dng , the first post here and newest rawazier 042. does the mac version work for spanning? thanks everyone!

update:
aha, u have to drag the last raw file in the spanned set to extract, i used the 5D2_WIN_raw2dng

ollright!

update2: oh no its all pink noise. ok i'll stop talking to myself and go to bed.

kasar

Until now I had no success in joining the splitted raw files (r00). I tried it with the terminal an mac but I don't know very much about this and had no success. Could anybody please tell me, how to do this on a mac, please step by step? Thanks a lot!

carlostrator

Quote from: kasar on May 31, 2013, 02:41:19 PM
Until now I had no success in joining the splitted raw files (r00). I tried it with the terminal an mac but I don't know very much about this and had no success. Could anybody please tell me, how to do this on a mac, please step by step? Thanks a lot!

Don't be lazy, read the entire topic, it's just 8 pages long.

Split the raw files by raw2dng, a program they made to split those files in GUI, so casual users could split them without touching terminal. just search, there's a topic just for the program and i guess it's linked here.

Then use a raw manager to process the files and create tiff's or jpeg's and then put them together with your codec of preference.

The step by step guides are already all here, you just have to do your homework and search it.

budafilms

Quote from: carlostrator on May 31, 2013, 03:12:16 AM
Having the same issues... Searched a lot but with no success. JPEG's are ok, but TIFF won't work (QuickTime Error -50, on compressor).

Tell us what they replied, it should be able to work.

I'm using Compressor 4.0.7

a) try with this http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Compressor-Repair.shtml   If not...
b) reinstall compressor... if not
c) you have Quicktime problems, different version and you have to choose 7 or X.

shawnwytch

for some reason when i click the windows exe it just blinks for me it doesnt stay open what could be causing this? Ive tried runing as administrator

carlostrator

Quote from: budafilms on May 31, 2013, 08:41:07 PM
a) try with this http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Compressor-Repair.shtml   If not...
b) reinstall compressor... if not
c) you have Quicktime problems, different version and you have to choose 7 or X.

Tried it all, i'm only using quicktime X now. I'll try quicktime 7 without correction, see if i get a clean copy, but would be nice to make this by compressor 4, get my workflow easier.

agora1

Hi Renato,
I follow you instructions but the answer was incorrect so somebody can help me.
ML is great but unable to work raw video post processing for file 4 Gig or more
I can donate a lot of money but i am sure somebody have the answer to open 4GIG RAW file
Thanks

RenatoPhoto

I don't know the details of mac, but you should first read the standard thread to generate DNG in mac environment.

here:
raw2dng.app 0.10 Osx GUI development, bugs and updates
www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5508.0

driftwood

Quick and dirty, Import each RAW set of DNGs into Adobe After Effects (and change exposure, colour, highlights, shadows, etc...), then 'interpret' the footage as whatever frame rate it was recorded as and save setting using 'remember interpret' and apply it to all your clips, make a composition file and change the file duration roughly calculated to the total length of all your clips (you can always extend/reduce by editing the composition later), then select all clips and drop them into the composition - space them out - and render the composition out to lossless. Bring the rendered output file into an NLE for further editing.
* Dont forget to set Project workspace to 16bit in AE.
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)