uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

also, attempting to playback raw video with lcd monitor attached via hdmi hangs up the camera.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

platu

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 22, 2013, 04:25:28 AM
also, attempting to playback raw video with lcd monitor attached via hdmi hangs up the camera.

Yes... raw playback mode seems to always lock up the camera... end up having to removing the battery. 

Other than the misalignment of the resolution overlays and playback mode locking up the camera, everything else seems to work well when using an external monitor. 

hirethestache

Quote from: platu on May 22, 2013, 03:56:30 AM
I've been testing the raw recording with my 5D3 via HDMI and my SmallHD DP4 LCD monitor.   The main issue I am experiencing (at least when using the SmallHD DP4) is the outline overlay which represents the selected resolution is being displayed at the wrong location. It appears too far to the left and also is placed too high.  Here are the screen captures when I enable Raw Recording...

This one is for 1920 x 1080

This is an example of 1920 x 840.  I enabled crop marks (cinemascope) just to show where the outline should be.

If it is not possible to correct this, may I suggest adding the ability to disable the resolution overlay.  Since this is probably one the more popular monitors out there, I thought I would just let you know this issue exists.

I wasnt able to find the post anywhere, but I remember reading something about getting live preview of the RAW output in the LCD. With this idea, would it be possible to also get a live FEED from the HDMI, utilizing said raw preview? I'm probably misunderstanding this whole thing, regardless...But theres still a slight hope of utilizing the HDMI output to record RAW via xNAMEBRANDx field recorder (such as a Ninja).
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

mageye

5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

platu

Quote from: hirethestache on May 22, 2013, 05:13:42 AM
I wasnt able to find the post anywhere, but I remember reading something about getting live preview of the RAW output in the LCD. With this idea, would it be possible to also get a live FEED from the HDMI, utilizing said raw preview? I'm probably misunderstanding this whole thing, regardless...But theres still a slight hope of utilizing the HDMI output to record RAW via xNAMEBRANDx field recorder (such as a Ninja).

This has been suggested many times.  Apparently, utilizing HDMI is difficult to do and the focus at the moment is to come up with a solution via the CF slot to external HDD or SSD.

hirethestache

Quote from: platu on May 22, 2013, 05:27:37 AM
This has been suggested many times.  Apparently, utilizing HDMI is difficult to do and the focus at the moment is to come up with a solution via the CF slot to external HDD or SSD.

I concur that getting a stable release should definitely be the main focus, just curious.
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

AndreasK

Unfortunately I can't get 24p working in full 1920x1080 mode on my 1000x Transcend 64gb. I posted some benchmarks in the other thread. If I read the already posted chart correctly the 32gb transcend seems to be faster. In 1920x1080 I have about 1 frame skipped every 1-2 seconds :( Just a tad too slow :(

Audionut

Quote from: Colemar on May 22, 2013, 03:31:25 AM
Dan Hudgins http://www.dancad3d.com/ is currently working on eliminating this.  He's making great headway and, as with ML, it's only a matter of time.

You're talking about software denoising right?  That pattern noise is the noise floor of the camera (a hardware problem).

aviel740

Quote from: AndreasK on May 22, 2013, 08:15:21 AM
Unfortunately I can't get 24p working in full 1920x1080 mode on my 1000x Transcend 64gb. I posted some benchmarks in the other thread. If I read the already posted chart correctly the 32gb transcend seems to be faster. In 1920x1080 I have about 1 frame skipped every 1-2 seconds :( Just a tad too slow :(

Have you tried turning on Hak3d in the raw menu?

Nachelsoul

A 5DmkII Raw boring test with a 100 years old lens

Thanks to A1ex and developers for this incredible feature

deleted.account

Quote from: Audionut on May 22, 2013, 08:43:27 AM
You're talking about software denoising right?  That pattern noise is the noise floor of the camera (a hardware problem).

Pattern noise removal would be dark frame subtraction?

Any noise reduction for raw video would be best done temporal and possibly with motion compensation.  So basic spatial and or dark frame in raw then temporal noise reduction, luma sharpening etc either in image sequence stage or during video edit / grading stage if chosen raw wrangling apps don't support temporal noise reduction.

AndreasK

Quote from: aviel740 on May 22, 2013, 09:05:31 AM
Have you tried turning on Hak3d in the raw menu?

Hak3D?

--> when running benchmark from photomode i get depending on buffer ~100
--> in videomode i get 85-95mb/s depending on buffer, 95 would be enough but I don't know what kind of buffer is used

3pointedit

y3llow, why would you need to do temporal NR on a RAW sequence? There is no inter-frame referal of data?
550D on ML-roids

Mei Lewis

Quote from: squig on May 22, 2013, 01:22:18 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-pattern_noise
This is how your sensor looks +3 stops @ 160 ISO. It's got nothing to do with ML except for the fact it's no longer denoised and compressed in camera.

I don't think that's a major problem, why would you ever want to push a nearly black image by 3 stops???
Would be good to get rid of it anyway though!

I see you're shooting at ISO 160, why?

The idea of shooting in multiples of 160 is only relevant for standard compressed video shooting, due to the way intermediate ISOs are processed in camera. Eg 160 is a 1/3 stop pull from ISO 200 sensor data before writing to h264.

The 'real' ISOs of the mk3, as evident from analysis of RAW stills , are:
100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400. Maybe also 12800.

Going forward for maximum RAW quality these are the multiples we should be shooting in a think

squig

My brain hasn't made the raw adjustment yet.... LAG!

I pushed it 3 stops just so people can see it. I do the same with every other cameras for comparison.

Audionut

Quote from: y3llow on May 22, 2013, 09:27:32 AM
Pattern noise removal would be dark frame subtraction?

If it's fixed pattern noise, yes.

I was incorrect before when talking about pattern noise.  I was talking about the read noise (amplifier noise).

Quote from: squig on May 22, 2013, 09:53:40 AM
I pushed it 3 stops just so people can see it. I do the same with every other cameras for comparison.

It's good to see what the camera is doing to the shadows, but ISO 160 is not the best test as it's been reduced 1/3rd of a stop in camera.

squig

Quote from: Audionut on May 22, 2013, 10:03:18 AM

It's good to see what the camera is doing to the shadows, but ISO 160 is not the best test as it's been reduced 1/3rd of a stop in camera.

Yeah I'll do some 400 and 1600 ISO tests shortly.

Habitat

Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card was working fine earlier...( 5D MARK III) tried hack 3d to see what i could push it to. Then went back to 1080p it wouldnt even run that (normally does easily). then took it out of the camera and put it into the computer - no response - put it back in the camera - camera couldnt read it or format it..

what do i do next?

card was formatted to exfat but i didnt record over 4gb files on it yet. any ideas? thank

Habitat

Quote from: Habitat on May 22, 2013, 10:52:33 AM
Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card was working fine earlier...( 5D MARK III) tried hack 3d to see what i could push it to. Then went back to 1080p it wouldnt even run that (normally does easily). then took it out of the camera and put it into the computer - no response - put it back in the camera - camera couldnt read it or format it..

what do i do next?

card was formatted to exfat but i didnt record over 4gb files on it yet. any ideas? thank

Took it downstairs to the imac used a different card reader the Imac read it. Disk Utility for some reason thought it was 613GB but Finder read it properly I deleted the raw file manually put it back in the cam - it ran perfectly with no issues at 1080p...anomaly i guess.

Colemar

Quote from: Audionut on May 22, 2013, 08:43:27 AM

that's correct, software noise removal specific to the 5DmkIII's sensor and any others that can be extrapolated from that data

AndreasK

Ah found the hack3d.

With that enabled in 1920x1080 it skipps a frame about every 2 seconds

Lukasz

Hi, wanted to add my Lexar 16gb 400x RAW test put out off 134 frame clips in 1880x720 which I am able to do. Continuosly 1880x540, only on first builds.

Griffleiste

've been Magic Lantern user since the beginning on the 5D II.
Battery drain with the 20.05.13 version is huge, compared to normal video recording.
Having a battery grip connected and fully loaded, I experienced a drop from 50% charging level to 11% charging level while only leaving the camera on for about 15 minutes (mainly to check out menues etc.), while about 6 minutes of the 15 minutes were raw recording.
Powering the camera off at 11% and leaving it alone for the night, I experienced on the next morning that even with the power switch's pointing to off the two batteries in the grip have been discharged completely.

I don't want to be repetitive, I just wanted to give you guys the feedback you need for maxing out ML's possibilities.

1%

Dunno whats happening with 5DII... 600D (similar generation) doesn't do this... I have 2 batteries in the grip and they keep going and going.

Heh... since aewb left on I had AWB change on me during a shot.. yellow taxi cab drove by and suddenly everything is blue... maybe I should try to just shoot with UNIWB since everything is raw now.

coutts

Found required edmac stubs in 40d:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/cf080443d8ffcbf3cfc21c06aa3bb95d2e341ca9

I don't think TCC or Modules work yet with the 40d so someone will have to port raw_rec.c into the main code, but looks possible (alex says it has lv_save_raw too). Amazing that even a 6 year old VxWorks camera possesses the ability to shoot raw video.