uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

escho

Quote from: a1ex on May 13, 2013, 07:23:00 PM
Patches are welcome ;)

Sorry, but I can only do little /bin/bash-stuff.

This is doing the decoding.work for me now:

#!/bin/bash

for raw in $HOME/test/*.RAW
do
  $HOME/test/raw2dng $raw
  mkdir $HOME/test/`basename $raw .RAW`
  mv $HOME/test/*.dng $HOME/test/`basename $raw .RAW`
done

exit

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Alia5

on 600D recording raw video in 720 X 480 works perfectly fine... didn't test more will try tomorrow!

using a Transcend 16gb class 10 card

This is so fricking awesome!

Kuky

Ok, little recap, today I used:

- 5D Mark III
- Lexar Professional 600x 16Gb UDMA card (Manufacture Part Numer 508-60729 Rev A)
- firmware posted by lourenco on post nr. 385

I benchmarked the card using the built-in menu command  "Card R/W benchmark (5min)" under "Debug" menu. I have no ideea what is the correct procedure (if have to set something specific before running the bench). The bench just remains on the end screen when finishing. I have no ideea if this is correct, but anyway I found out there is a BMP file saved in the root of the CF.

Now the results:

A. 1920 x 1080 will drop frames . Probably because of the lower write speed of Lexar 600x (?)
B. 1920 x 1720 will drop frames . Probably because of the lower write speed of Lexar 600x (?)
C. 1280 x 720 will record with no dropped frames. I made some pans to look for tearing and unfortunately there is some from time to time. See below

Anyway to share some of the of the content:

Example of file with tearing (but there are more in the sequence):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3ncQl4hSqlncER2VzdZVWk1dWc/edit?usp=sharing

H.264 movie from the first 1300 DNG files of the recording. DNG files were extracted with raw2dng.exe. I did some highlight recovery in Lightroom and there is some flickering on the wall behind. Probably because LR treats recovery on a per file basis. Have to check if this occurs in Davinci Resolve/Speedgrade or similar. 72 MB download, don't bother with the youtube preview, it's nowhere near the mp4 file.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3ncQl4hSqlnUmhWQ2NhaXRNN0E/edit?usp=sharing

First 1300 files of the recording. 1,66 Gb download. If somebody wants to play.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3ncQl4hSqlnRE1BNmdPalp6dms/edit?usp=sharing

Regards,
Cristian

noisyboy

Quote from: bumkicho on May 13, 2013, 07:38:46 PM
Has anyone had an issue with either top third or bottom third tearing on a frame?

Yeah - getting this happening but I think a1ex is on the case:

https://vimeo.com/66077474

Kabuto1138

Maybe I just read wrong, or I am way too excited.  But is ready to be tested in the 5d Mark II?

noisyboy

Quote from: a1ex on May 13, 2013, 08:41:27 PM
Tearing fix: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/84f657f209eb

(didn't try it)

Cool! Does this help with the "skipping frames"? Apologies for not understanding if this is one and the same problem :)

Lcrusher

1280*720 works fine with Transcend 400x on 5d3

cschmeer

I still haven't found a compiled version of the raw2dng.exe. The file I got from lourenco's post doesn't have an .exe suffix and adding it won't make it run either (I am trying to run it in Wine on a Mac). Could someone please point me in the right direction?

tferradans

the image is so fuckin' sharper and more detailed that I'm feeling like "where's motion blur?!"

thanks for tear fix, alex!
I'm getting A LOT of tearing when recording 1920x1080 on a Sandisk Extreme Pro 90mbps. Maybe I should make the resolution smaller, right? :P

CFP

Quote from: Andy600 on May 13, 2013, 07:29:48 PM
CFP - Raw record settings on the 600d are in another menu.
Ah! I found it, thank you very much!  :)

I was to excited to check the other menus so I didn't even recognized the new "RAW video" option ... Sorry for beeing so blind. But really, thanks a lot!

It seems to work pretty good on my EOS 600D. I was able to record with 720 X 720 at 24 fps. Occasionally a single frame was skipped but I would still call it continously. Awesome! Hopefully something like 1280 X 550 (21:9 aspect ratio) will work one day too.

Could somebody with a fast SD card could give it a try? According to the benchmark my card has a max. write speed of 21 MB/s ... 1280 X 550 would require > 27 MB/s.

Quote from: cschmeer on May 13, 2013, 08:51:40 PM
I still haven't found a compiled version of the raw2dng.exe.
Have you already tried this one: raw2dng.exe | From Tragic Lantern 2.0?

1%

The tearing fix module seems to work smoother.

kgv5

Quote from: tferradans on May 13, 2013, 08:57:07 PM
the image is so fuckin' sharper and more detailed that I'm feeling like "where's motion blur?!"

thanks for tear fix, alex!
I'm getting A LOT of tearing when recording 1920x1080 on a Sandisk Extreme Pro 90mbps. Maybe I should make the resolution smaller, right? :P

tferradans, what camera do you use? 6D?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

tferradans

Quote from: kgv5 on May 13, 2013, 09:04:38 PM
tferradans, what camera do you use? 6D?

I'm using a 5D3 !
--

can anyone get me a working copy for the 600D? please? :)

Rush

Quote from: CFP on May 13, 2013, 08:57:40 PM
Could somebody with a fast SD card could give it a try? According to the benchmark my card has a max. write speed of 21 MB/s ... 1280 X 550 would require > 27 MB/s.
check thread - I'd already posted - max possible for 600D/550D/60D is 960x480 or 1320x360.
It is limited not by speed of SD card, but by speed of internal camera SD controller which is limited to 21 MB/s.
Greetings from Russia!

bumkicho

Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 08:59:59 PM
The tearing fix module seems to work smoother.

Can you share your compiled files with this fix?

tool

Quote from: Rush on May 13, 2013, 09:14:04 PM
check thread - I'd already posted - max possible for 600D/550D/60D is 960x480 or 1320x360.
It is limited not by speed of SD card, but by speed of internal camera SD controller which is limited to 21 MB/s.
With my 60D (without UHS-1), I must forget anything RAW related.
Transcend 32gb Class 10 (You have to low-format each time (fragmentation stops recording even with CBR 1x)

Sandisk 32gb Extreme 45mb/s

ernestoeduardo

Can anyone please, point us (OVER ENTHUSIAST NEWBIES) in the direction of a complied safe build for the MK2, so we can test/try the new features and CF performances ?

I think that our intention of being part of the development/test progress is fair, maybe we wont be writing code, but I think that inteligent testing is within our range.

Forgive us those who think that we are slowing the process down with our willing to learn, but I rather have A1ex, Gr3ggo, 1% and others ignoring me (completly understandable and fine), than staying silent waiting on the margin of this technological break trough.

Thanks to everyone again !

CFP

Quote from: tferradans on May 13, 2013, 09:12:45 PM
can anyone get me a working copy for the 600D? please? :)
Here it is: [600D] Auto allocation.zip | From Tragic Lantern 2.0.

Just replace your current "autoexec.bin" with that new one and put the "MODULES" folder into your "ML" folder.

Quote from: Rush on May 13, 2013, 09:14:04 PM
Yes, I've read your post. I've read ervey post :)

But like I said, 720 X 720 is also possible. 1280 X 550 is just a tiny bit more ... So I thought maybe there would be a chance to get it. But if there's no way to speed up the SD controler I better stop dreaming  ;D

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

aaphotog

Is everyone here running windows OS?
I still cant seem to figure out how to use this raw2dng on my mac. I've tried the 'wine' as well as 'crossover' and I just can't seem to get things together.

Andy600

CFP - Even without being able to shoot 1080p, It's not the end of the world for us 'prosumer camera' users when it comes to RAW. The images still look way better than what we get with H.264 even if we have to shoot smaller and scale up. It's also great that we get the chance to record our own RAW footage to play with and develop/learn RAW post production methods with manageable files sizes. Think of it as a trial period before we upgrade to 5d MkIII's etc. (that won't be anytime soon for me unfortunately)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

noisyboy

Anyone got a solution when you get the "cannot pars file" error? Is this due to corrupt files? They seem to extract okay from the RAW file.

tferradans

Did anyone notice that every single frame has 240DPI resolution? A regular H264/RGB frame has 72DPI, which means this can be upscaled about 3-4 times without much damage to image quality, right?

1%

I think that means you picked a size that doesn't work. Lemme know all the ones that don't work and I'll take them out. We can try some different anamorphic ones.

Coutts made it for 5d2.. not sure where he put it.

Also these clips are useful for short stuff. How big is an average cutaway really? The 1280 will probably uprez to 1080p and the 960 will probably pull off 720P compared to the H264. I don't think you will all need 5d3s... just CF cameras unless something can be done to compress the frames to 1.5MB.