uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coutts

Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 10:01:16 PM
I think that means you picked a size that doesn't work. Lemme know all the ones that don't work and I'll take them out. We can try some different anamorphic ones.

Coutts made it for 5d2.. not sure where he put it.

Also these clips are useful for short stuff. How big is an average cutaway really? The 1280 will probably uprez to 1080p and the 960 will probably pull off 720P compared to the H264. I don't think you will all need 5d3s... just CF cameras unless something can be done to compress the frames to 1.5MB.
start writing a raw compressor? :P

CFP

Quote from: Andy600 on May 13, 2013, 09:44:24 PM
CFP - Even without being able to shoot 1080p, It's not the end of the world for us 'prosumer camera' users when it comes to RAW. The images still look way better than what we get with H.264 even if we have to shoot smaller and scale up. It's also great that we get the chance to record our own RAW footage to play with and develop/learn RAW post production methods with manageable files sizes. Think of it as a trial period before we upgrade to 5d MkIII's etc. (that won't be anytime soon for me unfortunately)
I know! And like I said before, I'm still very excited about all this! It is truely amazing that the cameras actually can handle RAW video! And even if the resolution isn't as high as I'm used to, it still is enough to work with.

I didn't want to sound ungrateful. Instead, I really appreciate all this! Magic Lantern was already amazing before this feature was added. Now it's just more amazing than ever before  ;D

But I think I'll stuck with my 600D for a little bit longer. I just bought it in July 2012 and I still like it ;)

tferradans

I think that means you picked a size that doesn't work. Lemme know all the ones that don't work and I'll take them out. We can try some different anamorphic ones.

What do you mean by different anamorphic ones? :)

Vegandelight

Edit: N/M

Spoke to soon as always :)

SD: Sandisk Extreme 95Mb/s 16gb.
CF: Komputerbay 1000x 32gb

Now i need to figure out how to record  :o

1%

Different anamorphic resolutions that don't come out screwed up.

Raw compressor would be nice... but the CPU to do it, lol. Would need something like this:

http://code.google.com/p/lz4/

Alia5

kgv5

1504x640 res works just fine on 6D and it's optimal for continous shooting, we don't loose any line after upscaling. We could try to tweak something about 700 pix high,width 1600 or 1650 maybe
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Colemar

I would be most grateful if a current compilation would be posted for the 5DmkIII.  Many thanks!

1%

Lol, I should have bought sandisk 45MB card... that's close to continuous for me but not always.

I bet HDR would work with this if it switched while not recording.

kgv5

Quote from: Vegandelight on May 13, 2013, 10:11:47 PM

SD: Sandisk Extreme 95Mb/s 16gb.
CF: Komputerbay 1000x 32gb

5d3 doesn't supports UHS-I, does it? That's why only 21mb/s from SD.
Do we know SD controller limit of the 6D? Hope it's not 40, in theory probably should be about 50mb/s
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

1%

CFP

Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 10:40:46 PM
Lol, I should have bought sandisk 45MB card...
Well, I have that one and it doesn't help at all since the 600D limits the write speed to 21 MB/s ... So I guess you'll be fine with whatever you have at the moment :D

sicetime

are any of you running raw2dng on a mac? Does it work on wine or vmware fusion?

noisyboy

I think that means you picked a size that doesn't work

Sounds about right. I can't remember which size it was but I think the same one gave me the same result.

mnteddy

Quote from: sicetime on May 13, 2013, 10:56:41 PM
Works great for me in CrossOver. "Programs - Run Command" drop in the raw2dng.exe, then the .RAW file. Spits out a stream of DNGs.

kidb

Quote from: sicetime on May 13, 2013, 10:56:41 PM
Compiled on mountain lion, use in terminal.
http://kidb.tv/.ml/

coutts

Double buffering seems to have fixed 5d2:

Frame dropping starts about 18 seconds in and continues for the rest of the video (as expected)

1%

Quotefine with whatever you have at the moment :D

I have 600D and 6D so fine on 600D (21Mb/s max) but not on 6D (50MB theoretical)

Kuky

I uploaded my test to Vimeo. Play in HD

My setup:

- 5D Mark III
- Lexar Professional 600x 16Gb UDMA card (Manufacture Part Numer 508-60729 Rev A)
- firmware posted by lourenco on post nr. 385
- resolution set to 1280 x 720, only one that does not drop frames on this card

There are two problems I find:

a. tearing on some frames and I think it's always on the same line the tearing happens (may be wrong)
b. stuttering on pans, more evident for example from sec 42 to 52.

Questions:

A. Does the fix posted by Alex solve both? I don't know even if the're connected.
Maybe the raw video feed which the developers are trying to "redirect" to the CF it's not capable of genlocked 24 fps, hence the stuttering.
To me it doesn't seem that this raw feed is used to make the video recordings on the genuine firmware. The quality difference it's too much. Just an opinion  8)

B. It's the clip shot in RAW mode 24,000 fps or 23,976fps ??

PS. I solved the flickering on the wall, going through the AfterEffects - ACR route.

Regards,
Cristian

ThePhil

I know this is going to ruffle some feathers but I promise I'm not posting out of ignorance.  I've been using ML for over a year on my 5D2 and swear by it.  I've been keeping up with reading the forums and decided to try the nightly build to use RAW Video on my 5D2 but don't see the option after replacing the autoexec.bin and ML folder on the root of the card with the nightly build...  I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB CF 90MB/s... not the 1000x.  Is the card speed the reason or am I missing a step?

Thank you.

Phil
Canon 5D2, 5DC. Mac OS X 10.8  Apple Employee. SanDisk 90MB/s. Texas A&M University Graduate. Instagram: @PhilMographer

aaphotog

Quote from: kidb on May 13, 2013, 11:12:09 PM
Compiled on mountain lion, use in terminal.
http://kidb.tv/.ml/
How do I use it in terminal?
When I download and double click the file, terminal pops up... what then?

Colemar

Shooting on a 5DmkIII, why are the DNG's converting as 128x96 resolution?  They are almost 4MB each and the .raw file hasn't dropped a frame..I have access to 1000x cards from Delkin, Lexar, and SanDisk, and would like to test them all for members' information, but cannot get useable video from the process..will anyone help me?

-Colemar Nichols

aaphotog

Quote from: mnteddy on May 13, 2013, 11:08:47 PM
Works great for me in CrossOver. "Programs - Run Command" drop in the raw2dng.exe, then the .RAW file. Spits out a stream of DNGs.
first, I open crossover then I click "install windows software"
I choose "other application"
I then select "raw2dng.exe"
I let it install into the bottleneck.
Then I click 'programs-run command'
under "use bottle" it says 'raw2dng'
I drag my raw file into the space thats open that says "command"
then I click "run"

when I do that it says "there is no windows program configured to open this type of file"

mageye

Quote from: coutts on May 13, 2013, 11:16:11 PM
Double buffering seems to have fixed 5d2:

Frame dropping starts about 18 seconds in and continues for the rest of the video (as expected)

I am really interested to see 5DMKII stuff and this is some of the first I have seen. I would like to try the build you are using (maybe you could link me to your build?).

Anyway its encouraging footage and I was wondering what CF card you have and write speed you are achieving?

Please people quote numbers!

Keep it up good people. YAY!!
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

KahL

Quote from: CFP on May 13, 2013, 08:57:40 PM
Ah! I found it, thank you very much!  :)

I was to excited to check the other menus so I didn't even recognized the new "RAW video" option ... Sorry for beeing so blind. But really, thanks a lot!

It seems to work pretty good on my EOS 600D. I was able to record with 720 X 720 at 24 fps. Occasionally a single frame was skipped but I would still call it continously. Awesome! Hopefully something like 1280 X 550 (21:9 aspect ratio) will work one day too.

Could somebody with a fast SD card could give it a try? According to the benchmark my card has a max. write speed of 21 MB/s ... 1280 X 550 would require > 27 MB/s.
Have you already tried this one: raw2dng.exe | From Tragic Lantern 2.0?

Being used on the 600D, does this mean I can test it out on the 550D/T2i as well? If so, how can I go about fetching them files? :)